PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Poll: Who do you want to coach the Patriots in 2024?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who do YOU want to coach this team in 2024?

• Bill Belichick

Votes: 31 34.1%
  • Mike Vrabel

Votes: 22 24.2%
  • Jerod Mayo

Votes: 7 7.7%
  • Jim Harbaugh

Votes: 14 15.4%
  • Brian Flores

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Todd Monken (Ravens OC)

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Ben Johnson (Lions OC)

Votes: 9 9.9%
  • Eric Bienemy (Commanders OC)

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • someone else (please name)

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Bill O'Brien

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Tunescribe

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
What say ye, and why?

Keep Bill because I think that getting rid of him may fix the O to some degree (I mean it cant be worse) but the D will fall off a cliff when he leaves and we won't actually be any better overall as a team.

I said all along, have him stay as HC to get the wins record and retain the elite D.

Bring in a new GM, OC and draft a QB, WR, OL. Spend money in FA wisely.

My hope for next season is to make the team fun to watch on O again, and hopefully get a wildcard playoff spot too. Probably what we all want realistically.

Keep Bill because I think that getting rid of him may fix the O to some degree (I mean it cant be worse) but the D will fall off a cliff when he leaves and we won't actually be any better overall as a team.

I said all along, have him stay as HC to get the wins record and retain the elite D.

Bring in a new GM, OC and draft a QB, WR, OL. Spend money in FA wisely.

My hope for next season is to make the team fun to watch on O again, and hopefully get a wildcard playoff spot too. Probably what we all want realistically.

What would you say to Vrabel as HC and keeping Mayo aboard as officially DC?

I just don't think having 2 defensive-minded BB disciples is gonna move this team in the right direction.

We need a fresh start on O, not more of the same. If Bills willing to compromise on this, I think it's a win for all parties.

Bills getting older and he also just had a 16 year relationship end, he's still a human being and I could be wrong but I've not seen one single person mention this as a possible reason for his struggles this year. I got divorced and it really takes a toll on your career focus no matter what you do.

Also, with him no longer having a person to retire with I can see him doubling down and coaching longer into his 70s to fill the void. He's not retiring and he's under contract. As bad as it's been, I believe he deserves one more year.

Elaboration is encouraged.
Bad idea.

(I’m so tempted to stop there! )

first, there’s nothing to suggest either Mayo or Vrabel would be at all receptive to that arangement. More likely Mayo would prefer to pursue HC positions elsewhere. If he didn’t get the Patriots HC position he probably would not want to work for whoever beat him out for the job.

bigger issue, Vrabel failed in Tennessee. He went backwards, instead of progressing. His last two years there were his worst two years there. Made playoffs his first three years, missed them last year and this year. Last in division this year, 6-11 record. He‘s not an upgrade at HC for the Pats.

so, bad idea.

How about this coaching staff:

HC - Bill Belichick
DC - Mike Vrabel
OC - Josh McDaniels

If we move on from BB, give me someone far removed from the BB tree. If you want a fresh start then let it be so.
I'd go with an offensive coach though
Since the Patriots won the ATL Superbowl the winners have been as followed
Eagles-Pederson(offense)
Patriots-BB(defense)
KC- Reid (offense)
Bucs- Arians(offense)
Rams- McVay(offense)
KC-Reid (offense)

That's 5 out of 6 all offensive minded HC

In a sense, it doesn't matter who the coach is.

The basic problem with this team is that the offense is fundamentally broken. Not enough talent acquired, developed, and retained on the player side, and too much talent lost on the coaching side. It's also not clear whether the scouting data is bad or the data is poorly used, or both.

I'd prefer to keep BB. But if it's too awkward for him to have Pioli or Dimitroff as GM over him I would be fine with Vrabel or Mayo (in that order of preference). Just as long as it isn't O'Brien.

Bad idea.

(I’m so tempted to stop there! )

first, there’s nothing to suggest either Mayo or Vrabel would be at all receptive to that arangement. More likely Mayo would prefer to pursue HC positions elsewhere. If he didn’t get the Patriots HC position he probably would not want to work for whoever beat him out for the job.

bigger issue, Vrabel failed in Tennessee. He went backwards, instead of progressing. His last two years there were his worst two years there. Made playoffs his first three years, missed them last year and this year. Last in division this year, 6-11 record. He‘s not an upgrade at HC for the Pats.

so, bad idea.

No.

I just don't think having 2 defensive-minded BB disciples is gonna move this team in the right direction.

We need a fresh start on O, not more of the same. If Bills willing to compromise on this, I think it's a win for all parties.

Bills getting older and he also just had a 16 year relationship end, he's still a human being and I could be wrong but I've not seen one single person mention this as a possible reason for his struggles this year. I got divorced and it really takes a toll on your career focus no matter what you do.

Also, with him no longer having a person to retire with I can see him doubling down and coaching longer into his 70s to fill the void. He's not retiring and he's under contract. As bad as it's been, I believe he deserves one more year.
I raised this flag prior to week 1, and was promptly blasted by the regular homers for being crazy.
"Bill is professional and focused, bla bla bla..."
Well - you can't ignore correlation. He just had the worst season of his life, with a chaotic string of decisions. So, ya.
BB has a heart too.

How about this coaching staff:

HC - Bill Belichick
DC - Mike Vrabel
OC - Josh McDaniels
Vrabel at DC would be a huge downgrade from what we have

ray thank GIF

I've made my case for Harbaugh before.
IF we move on from BB - we need a solid, established, manager & leader of men.
All the retreads of the BB system would be trying to imitate what he had from 00-19.
Harbaugh is an innovator, a collaborator, an excellent leader of young men... and he's won at both NCAA & NFL.
He can handle the media, is not a douche, and has the cache to follow BB without dying in the shadow.
Problem is - I don't think he'd ever come here.

I want Belichick to stay. Don’t want to go through the transition when we already have the best x’s and o’s guy. Just needs a QB, qb coach and an offensive coordinator with the times. I don’t want Josh back, every team he’s been on besides the Patriots he’s lost the players. How does that happen?

If they move on then I think Ben Johsnon or jim Harbaugh are probably good options. Could really get the offense going if they get the right players here.

Someone who won't have BOB or McDaniels as the OC and run a new offense.

If Vrabel says i want Arthur Smith as my OC again then i'd hire him tomorrow, why would you want to bring a young QB into this offense that no one except Brady has ever ran at a high level?

It fails everywhere, it's outdated, it blows and it will never win again.

Has anyone ever had the worst offense for a decade and ran it back with the same offensive coaches and system?

If we move on from BB, give me someone far removed from the BB tree. If you want a fresh start then let it be so.
I'd go with an offensive coach though
Since the Patriots won the ATL Superbowl the winners have been as followed
Eagles-Pederson(offense)
Patriots-BB(defense)
KC- Reid (offense)
Bucs- Arians(offense)
Rams- McVay(offense)
KC-Reid (offense)

That's 5 out of 6 all offensive minded HC
It looks that way.

But, Reid is the best offensive mind out there, and he's an old coach, who also has the best player in the league. I do credit what Reid does on offense a lot.

Arians is a product of a stellar team full of Pro Bowlers and Tom Brady. That defense of the Bucs was something else. They throttled the best offense the NFL has seen in this decade.

McVay gets talked up so much because of the innovations. But in 2 Super Bowls, that team was handled by defenses. That defense of the Rams destroyed Joe Burrow. Constantly hurried, 7 sacks (probably a Super Bowl record).

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back