PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Poll: Who do you want to coach the Patriots in 2024?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who do YOU want to coach this team in 2024?

• Bill Belichick

Votes: 31 34.1%
  • Mike Vrabel

Votes: 22 24.2%
  • Jerod Mayo

Votes: 7 7.7%
  • Jim Harbaugh

Votes: 14 15.4%
  • Brian Flores

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Todd Monken (Ravens OC)

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Ben Johnson (Lions OC)

Votes: 9 9.9%
  • Eric Bienemy (Commanders OC)

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • someone else (please name)

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Bill O'Brien

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
It looks that way.

But, Reid is the best offensive mind out there, and he's an old coach, who also has the best player in the league. I do credit what Reid does on offense a lot.

Arians is a product of a stellar team full of Pro Bowlers and Tom Brady. That defense of the Bucs was something else. They throttled the best offense the NFL has seen in this decade.

McVay gets talked up so much because of the innovations. But in 2 Super Bowls, that team was handled by defenses. That defense of the Rams destroyed Joe Burrow. Constantly hurried, 7 sacks (probably a Super Bowl record).
Okay let's look at the final four teams then
since ATL Superbowl
2017: Pats/Jags : Defense/Offense(Marrone is a Oline coach)
Eagles/Vikings: Offense/Defense with Zimmer
2018: Pats/Chiefs: Defense/Offense
Saints/Rams: Offense/Offense
2019: Chiefs/Titans: Offense/Defense with Vrabel
Packers/49ers: Offense/Offense
2020: Chiefs/Bills: Offense/Defense McDermott
Bucs/Packers: Offense/Offense
2021: Chiefs/Bengals: Offense/Offense
49ers/Rams: Offense/Offense
2022: Chiefs/Bengals: Offense/Offense
Eagles/49ers: Offense/Offense

That's 19 final four teams out of 24 with a offensive minded coach over the past 6 years

Okay let's look at the final four teams then
since ATL Superbowl
2017: Pats/Jags : Defense/Offense(Marrone is a Oline coach)
Eagles/Vikings: Offense/Defense with Zimmer
2018: Pats/Chiefs: Defense/Offense
Saints/Rams: Offense/Offense
2019: Chiefs/Titans: Offense/Defense with Vrabel
Packers/49ers: Offense/Offense
2020: Chiefs/Bills: Offense/Defense McDermott
Bucs/Packers: Offense/Offense
2021: Chiefs/Bengals: Offense/Offense
49ers/Rams: Offense/Offense
2022: Chiefs/Bengals: Offense/Offense
Eagles/49ers: Offense/Offense

That's 19 final four teams out of 24 with a offensive minded coach over the past 6 years
Have you look at how many head coaches are offensive versus defensive? 17 offensive to 11 defensive.

And, really, you have to account for how the offenses and defenses actually perform, no?

So in 2018, the Rams sent out one of the top 11 offenses in NFL history. They scored 3 points in the Super Bowl.

Flip that to the Patriots the prior year. The coach specializes in defense. His offense breaks all Super Bowl records by throwing for 500+ yards. Meanwhile his defense crashes and burns.

Same could be said about the 2020 Chiefs/Bucs matchup. Offense crashes and burns for the Chiefs in the midst of a historic offensive season, while the offensive mastermind Arians wins the Super Bowl as his defense totally demolishes one of the best offenses of all-time.

The Patriots need to change gears to a 2024 offense with a better OL and skill players who make defenders account for every yard on the field.
Do you believe, though, they haven't been trying to do this?

ray thank GIF

Terrible idea for head coach. Too impulsive. Although, he does have that killer instinct.

Last edited:
The Patriots need to change gears to a 2024 offense with a better OL and skill players who make defenders account for every yard on the field.
Absolutely. Currently They don't even have the players to run thier own offense right now. 2024 needs to be about big plays, putting defenses on thier heels, on the O line.. the best player was a LT who pretty much got paid by the raiders and quit the NFL.

Do you believe, though, they haven't been trying to do this?
I don't think they even know themselves what they were trying to do. The dysfunction in the front office, coaching , piss poor QB play, staffers, ect. just permeated to the on field play.

Bad idea.

(I’m so tempted to stop there! )

first, there’s nothing to suggest either Mayo or Vrabel would be at all receptive to that arangement. More likely Mayo would prefer to pursue HC positions elsewhere. If he didn’t get the Patriots HC position he probably would not want to work for whoever beat him out for the job.

bigger issue, Vrabel failed in Tennessee. He went backwards, instead of progressing. His last two years there were his worst two years there. Made playoffs his first three years, missed them last year and this year. Last in division this year, 6-11 record. He‘s not an upgrade at HC for the Pats.

so, bad idea.

I was just throwing out a hypothetical re. Vrable with Mayo. Mostly because Mayo never officially has been a DC and probably could use more seasoning before getting a HC job.

I disagree about Vrable failing in Tennessee, he's had serious QB issues the last two years after being named NFL Coach of the Year in 2021. In his first stint as head coach he had a winning record and led his team to the conference championship game. He'd be a great fit here to succeed BB.

Last edited:
I don't think they even know themselves what they were trying to do. The dysfunction in the front office, coaching , piss poor QB play, staffers, ect. just permeated to the on field play.
Dysfunction based on an article that the writers themselves claimed (on Twitter) was unconfirmed when it came to the staff troubles.

If say to you that my article comes after conferring with over a dozen sources employed by the Patriots, that could mean I talked to one person with the Patriots, and then called up 11 others to confirm the story, but they refused.

Two days later I will jump on Twitter and I'll point out that the information about staff squabbles was unconfirmed.

In journalistic talk, that means I could find no second source to confirm what the first source said. And with the way Herald writers operate, it could mean there were actually ZERO sources giving that information, since it is all unconfirmed anyway.

We know what the Patriots were trying to do because they actually put the resources forward to do it: #1 pick on QB, #2 on WR, 5 draft picks spent on IOL, 2 on late round WRs, signed 3 WRs to $11m contracts per year in FA, traded for one with an $8m contract, signed 2 TEs to $14m contracts per year, one TW for $8m. This was the plan. These are all the resources they used.

The plan failed. But now you have to talk about what they could've done otherwise. Like, take Pickens instead of Tyquan (but avoid Treylon Burks at their #20 pick), or take Broderick Jones instead of Gonzalez, Cody Mauch instead of Keion White, or spend $90m on McGlinchey in FA. These are all decisions they could've made. Short of the Tyquan/Pickens pick, I'd say their thinking was correct in all other respects.

BB's contract is up a year from now. I'm fine if he stays for his last season as head coach but someone else must be GM.

Bad idea.

(I’m so tempted to stop there! )

first, there’s nothing to suggest either Mayo or Vrabel would be at all receptive to that arangement. More likely Mayo would prefer to pursue HC positions elsewhere. If he didn’t get the Patriots HC position he probably would not want to work for whoever beat him out for the job.

bigger issue, Vrabel failed in Tennessee. He went backwards, instead of progressing. His last two years there were his worst two years there. Made playoffs his first three years, missed them last year and this year. Last in division this year, 6-11 record. He‘s not an upgrade at HC for the Pats.

so, bad idea.
There was some upheaval with the GM at that time, Vrabel wanted his guy as GM and they ended up putting someone else in, I think that's where all the acrimony comes from and why he's no longer coach there.

G
Dysfunction based on an article that the writers themselves claimed (on Twitter) was unconfirmed when it came to the staff troubles.

If say to you that my article comes after conferring with over a dozen sources employed by the Patriots, that could mean I talked to one person with the Patriots, and then called up 11 others to confirm the story, but they refused.

Two days later I will jump on Twitter and I'll point out that the information about staff squabbles was unconfirmed.

In journalistic talk, that means I could find no second source to confirm what the first source said. And with the way Herald writers operate, it could mean there were actually ZERO sources giving that information, since it is all unconfirmed anyway.

We know what the Patriots were trying to do because they actually put the resources forward to do it: #1 pick on QB, #2 on WR, 5 draft picks spent on IOL, 2 on late round WRs, signed 3 WRs to $11m contracts per year in FA, traded for one with an $8m contract, signed 2 TEs to $14m contracts per year, one TW for $8m. This was the plan. These are all the resources they used.

The plan failed. But now you have to talk about what they could've done otherwise. Like, take Pickens instead of Tyquan (but avoid Treylon Burks at their #20 pick), or take Broderick Jones instead of Gonzalez, Cody Mauch instead of Keion White, or spend $90m on McGlinchey in FA. These are all decisions they could've made. Short of the Tyquan/Pickens pick, I'd say their thinking was correct in all other respects.
Great information. Thanks for this. What I find is that journalists like like to take pride into their reporting. Whenever we were winning we heard very little of internal issues. Now that we are losing this is what happens people start talking. I tend to believe what Callahan and kyed have reported. Kraft also was reporting things directly to SAS from espn.. in other words as you said wether people want to believe it or not is another thing.

We can all agree change needs to be made. Starting with finding the QB

G
Great information. Thanks for this. What I find is that journalists like like to take pride into their reporting. Whenever we were winning we heard very little of internal issues. Now that we are losing this is what happens people start talking. I tend to believe what Callahan and kyed have reported. Kraft also was reporting things directly to SAS from espn.. in other words as you said wether people want to believe it or not is another thing.

We can all agree change needs to be made. Starting with finding the QB
I actually am saying that according to Kyed and Callahan, only one (or maybe none) of the 12+ people they talked to confirmed what the article said about the staff troubles.

This isn't a question of whether I believe the journalists. I'm literally just going by their admission that it's unconfirmed, and then interpreting what that must mean based on standard practices.

I actually am saying that according to Kyed and Callahan, only one (or maybe none) of the 12+ people they talked to confirmed what the article said about the staff troubles.

This isn't a question of whether I believe the journalists. I'm literally just going by their admission that it's unconfirmed, and then interpreting what that must mean based on standard practices.
Yes, I understand what you're saying. I mis-read that sorry about that. Well I'm just eluding to the fact that winning mask thing, losing uncovers them.

BB's contract is up a year from now. I'm fine if he stays for his last season as head coach but someone else must be GM.
Absolutely! He will really be happy schooler was named an 1st team ALL PRO on STs this season.

Worth bumping this thread since Bill is out.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back