PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

POLL: The 2017 Patriots are not as dominant as we predicted. But how good CAN they be?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

How good do you think the 2017 Patriots can be?

• "8-8 team. No hope for this team. Blow it up. Trade Brady. REBUILD!!!!"

• The Patriots will win the AFC East... not sure they'll secure the bye though. Gotta improve first!

• They DEFINITELY have what it takes to run the table and get a bye. A clear Super Bowl contender!

• I'm not into predictions. I'm just gonna support the team and enjoy football! GO PATS!!!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soul_Survivor88

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
The New England Patriots win ugly in Tampa: Puzzling over what to make of Bill Belichick's 3-2 team

"The 2017 Patriots are uncharacteristically sloppy. They're uncommonly explosive on offense; never before have they had such speed and big-play ability all over the field. They're still capable of moving the chains and sustaining long drives, too. They're also an injury away -- to Danny Amendola or Rob Gronkowski, two of the most injury-prone players on the roster -- from being in massive trouble. The defense has plenty of talent on the backend. Not quite as sure about the front seven, but they seem to be figuring it out.

In October 2016, the Patriots' status as a Super Bowl contender was cemented. Even when Tom Brady was suspended, it was abundantly clear that they had an excellent squad top to bottom. They were dominant, losing only two games all season -- one with Jacoby Brissett at quarterback and the other after a failed 4th-and-goal from the 1-yard line against Seattle.

The 2017 Patriots are not dominant.

Just how good can they be?

We really don't know."

Hard to say. The Patriots are currently 3-2 and are still trying to address questions on both sides of the ball.

On one hand, I'm encouraged by how the defense responded on a short week -- winning a prime-time game on the road -- and how the team as a whole rallied in defense of Gilmore. It took some mental toughness to slug it out with the Bucs while shorthanded without Gronk.

There's obviously talent on this roster (particularly the receiver corps, the running backs, the secondary, and QB!). I'll never count a Bill Belichick team with Tom Brady the at helm. And I think this this has the potential to achieve something great!

Still.... how often do teams with so many unresolved questions (a quarter into the season) go on to win the 16-game war of attrition, make a deep playoff run, and win the Super Bowl?

The AFC isnt that good, but it's certainly getting better. The Chiefs are arguably the most balanced team and I believe, will have the top seed in the AFC.

Pittsburgh may also be in contention for the bye. Meanwhile, the Texas finally have someone resembling a franchise quarterback to go with its elite defense. The Broncos may also make a return to the playoffs as a wildcard (if their offense can stay productive).

I'm skeptical that this team is guaranteed to appear in the Super Bowl. My hope right now is that the team maintains a reasonable level of health and can at least obtain a bye. Anything lower than 12-4, and this team likely is playing Wildcard Weekend.

SuperBowl still goes through New England. The schedule gets a lot easier after the Broncos game and i expect massive improvements.

In addition as long as we have Brady and BB we will be the more prepared team.

I still like them to go 12-4 and get a bye. I don't take much from last night's ugly win as most Thursday night games play out that way.

SuperBowl still goes through New England. The schedule gets a lot easier after the Broncos game and i expect massive improvements.

In addition as long as we have Brady and BB we will be the more prepared team.

Nope. The schedule's a little more difficult the second half. They need to find a way and finish 6-2 before the bye. This OL has to get better. I just don't know how healthy these guys are.

If the defense plays like last night I like our chances. They gave up a lot of yards, but mostly at the end when they were playing soft. For most of the game they passed the eye test though.

I will give the offense a pass, since they lost Gronk midway through a short week. Not a lot of time to gameplan around that.

Bills are the AFCE defensive powerhouse right now (totally a coincidence that they got ride of Gilmore in the off season, and we picked him up). We are the scrappy underdogs. This is where I like it. I hated it with all the talk of 19-0 in the offseason. We have plenty of humble pie to eat from now until the end of the season. No Patriot, other than the Ghost, has consistently played where we need him.

In the poll, I didn't like any of the selections (people when you make polls you really should think about the meaning of the phrase exhaustive and mutually exclusive). I think we may come in second in AFCE, but still do enough to run to the SB because we will peak at the right time.

Brady and BB perform better as underdogs. This is where I want it.

Last edited:
They've made a ton of mistakes so far this season, which means plenty of film and room to improve.

The defense showed a pulse this week, though Winston doesn't rank that high for me as a QB yet. They balanced that out by extending drives for TB time and time again with flags. Bizarre.

I think we can win out if we start seeing improvement each week. We've been in every game down to the end, though KC buried us a bit sooner than Carolina did. Outside of last night, the offense has been putting up points despite the new faces and big names sidelined.

I'm going to follow Rodgers advice and relax a bit till we've had a chance to develop more cohesion.

Defense started to improve this week. Secondary atleast. Front 7 still an issue but more snaps to Butler and Hightower returning was a positive.

Offense was clearly not as good this week compared to great production in earlier weeks as they really missed Gronk and Allen is useless. Hollister could still grow into a role. Offense also sees Mitchell, Burkhead return as well from week 6/7 which will help. OLine and especially Solder, remain a concern.

They held the Saints to 13 points in the Superdome and went on the road on 3 days rest and held a team that features Mike Evans and Desean Jackson to 14 points.

I think we will finish the season 14-2 and win the Super Bowl, and this early rut will be looked as an overreaction no differently than post KC dynasty over propaganda when its all said and done

On a related note, this is funny as hell :D:D !!!

I think we will finish the season 14-2 and win the Super Bowl, and this early rut will be looked as an overreaction no differently than post KC dynasty over propaganda when its all said and done

14-2 is very optimistic. I'm not yet convinced this team can run the table

Atlanta
@ Denver
@ Pittsburgh

Pats are losing at least one of those, and possibly a division game.

Btw, the 2014 Patriots looked bad, but had fewer questions. Once the offensive line stabalized, Revis got acclimated, and Browner's suspension ended... that team went on a tear

I think this team will find its stride, but it will take longer to happen... and certain players may likely need to be traded or cut before it happens (e.g. Allen, Branch)

12-4 2nd seed with the AFC Championship being played in Foxboro because the 1 seed Chiefs choke in the divisional round.

Wouldn’t it be sweet to avenge 2 losses to KC in KC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3