PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Playoff Thoughts: Jax

Status
Not open for further replies.
- Del Rio did an excellent job on the offensive side, however. BB is a master of using game film to find the strengths of teams and take them away. Since one can't take everything away from a team, he focuses on their strengths and dares you to beat him with other means. The Jags had not used Marcedes Lewis as a weapon much all year, yet he shone in this game because Del Rio knew that by going to him they would be taking what BB was giving them. Del Rio also had confidence in putting much of the game in Garrard's hands instead of forcing the running game. His offense played to win, not just keep Brady off the field.

Del Rio understands, as does everyone, that our LBs just can't cover anyone anymore. The middle of the field is ripe for the picking.

- The Brady fake on the TD to Welker was set up by the direct snaps to Faulk in SB38 and the Chargers playoff game last year. Once Brady turned around and jumped in the air, the D thought the snap went to Faulk since they saw that on film in those previous instances. This is why the entire DL and LB on that side went to Faulk and Brady had all day. Now that's excellent self-scouting.

- The 26 for 28 performance (with one big Welker drop) was impressive not only because of the completion percentage, but because it showed Brady has switched from "force the ball to Moss so he can break the TD record" to "Okay, record time is over...let's win the whole shebang". Let's face it: Brady was forcing a lot of balls to Moss late in the year as they were closing in on their respective TD records. Now that's out of the way, he can go back to doing what he's best at: picking apart a D, no matter who his target is.

Regards,
Chris

These last 2 points, plus the quick pitch to Maroney (instead of the inside handoff), were excellent adjustments by BB, Skippy and TB. If they continue this offensive innovation, incl. returning to the Dink and Dunk, then they will be unstoppable.

Terrific post, and very well-written. Too bad we can't find anything similar, except for Reiss, from our two local fishwraps.

Muchos gracias.

* Our 'slow' LB corps is as plain as day & you can see it by the 'loose' coverage by the LBs a lot. A lot of soft zones are played to keep speedy receivers/RBs in front of them. This goes for the DBs too since Harrison and Sanders do not evoke a 'fast' secondary & I'll call Samuals & Hobbs average plus speed.
* Without Colvin, our pass rush has taken a huge hit. I think teams are realizing this and a lot more passing will be seen because of this and the LBs passing 'deficiencies'. Brushci and Seau playing fulltime is not ideal (an understatement).

I agree, on both points.

* No one has mentioned this but our DL depth is somewhat thin. Losing Wright & cutting that rookie does hurt come 4th quater. The DL will be asked to be superman (play more / take on more double teams / get a better pass rush since Colvin is out..) and might not achieve that expectation!

my 5 cents!...GO PATS!!!!

I also agree that not having Wright and Kareem Brown hurts. I'm surprised that Santonio Thomas hasn't been promoted to the 53, and Spann or Ventrone released/returned to the PS. What I would eventually like to see is another Jarvis Green taken on the draft's second day. Another DE with pass-rush explosiveness would be nice.

Great post Os. Also nice post by Chris, I liked the breakdown to Jax first TD.

This thread is a hidden nugget of Patsfans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST