PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Playoff OLine

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Riddler

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
i don't think it's a coincidence that since Stork came back and replaced Andrews that our OLine started struggling. I understand that part of this is tied to Edelman being out, but that LG and RT spots are brutal right now. Kline and Cannon need to be replaced. I was impressed with Waddle's size and footwork in the limited time I saw him.

My OLine fix for the playoffs would be this:

Vollmer LT
Stork LG
Andrews C
Jackson RG
Waddle RT

i don't think it's a coincidence that since Stork came back and replaced Andrews that our OLine started struggling. I understand that part of this is tied to Edelman being out, but that LG and RT spots are brutal right now. Kline and Cannon need to be replaced. I was impressed with Waddle's size and footwork in the limited time I saw him.

Vollmer LT
Stork LG
Andrews C
Jackson RG
Waddle RT
Swap out Shaq for Stork and I'm good with this.

The performance of the line is the biggest question mark. I'm really down on them.

Vollmer LT
Stork LG
Andrews C
Jackson RG
Waddle RT

Doesnt Waddle have more experience playing LT? That can be huge for us if so..

Waddle at LT, Vollmer back to RT could be huge. Plus it takes our worst lineman (Cannon) off the field

Waddle at LT, Vollmer back to RT could be huge. Plus it takes our worst lineman (Cannon) off the field

This would work too. Waddle looked solid in his last outing for us. Big 6'6" kid with good feet and he showed a lot of fight out there. Cannon is just limited right now, not the biggest guy on the edge and he's slow. He has to be replaced, I really hope it's Waddle or Vollmer.

He does

Waddle-Stork-Andrews-Jackson-Vollmer?

Waddle-Mason-Stork-Jackson-Vollmer?

I'm resignedly okay with Vollmer-Kline-Andrews-whoever (probably Jackson)-whoever (probably Cannon) for the playoffs. Don't necessarily feel good about that lineup, but it's probably the best we can reasonably hope for.

As others have mentioned, Waddle at LT kicking Vollmer back to RT might be something to watch for. I thought Waddle held up well last week pre-injury, but the sample size I've seen is way too small to have any firm opinion on him.

Last edited:
Swap out Shaq for Stork and I'm good with this.

The performance of the line is the biggest question mark. I'm really down on them.

I want to agree because I love Shaq's potential, but he had another bad game today.

I'm pretty much in "plant him on the bench and tell him he's going to have to learn to pass block" territory. So I'd probably stick Kline at LG, since you at least know you're getting some baseline competence even if it lowers your ceiling.

What's Fleming's problem? Last year they emphasized 3-TE sets at times, in part to get him on the field. This year seems to be more problematic.

And for that matter -- what's with Stork?

It may sound strange, but it is seems as if Mason has gotten worst since Stork been added to the line. So my pick is:
Waddle - Mason - Andrews - Jackson - Vollmer
Waddle - Stork - Andrews - Jackson - Vollmer

I want to agree because I love Shaq's potential, but he had another bad game today.

It wasn't all bad and it wasn't only him, however, I agree.
Take heart though, the Patriots much more often than not significantly raise the level of their game for the POs. The Patriots are experts at PO football mental preparation and execution, and are likely to find a way to get good play out of the OL.

Below is BB's playoff history with the Patriots.
--#2 seed 4 times. Worst result conf championship. Reached the SB 50% of the time.
--#2 seed in 2012 was in effect the #1 seed. Played the conf champ game in Foxboro (lost to Balt badly)
--#2 seed in 2013 IMHO we could have been #1 and we would have lost. 2013 was a year with that clearly dominant team, Denver.

Put the history together and it equals rarely if ever are the Patriots not going to pull it together and play winning PO level football. Again they are subject matter experts at PO football. Further and fortunately there is no Baltimore equivalent who could physically dominate the trenches with the Patriots, and there is no 2013 Denver equivalent far and away dominant team. So provided the Patriots do what they more often than not do (play good PO level football) the chances to get to the SB remain very good despite the likelihood the conf game will be in Denver.

2001 - #2 seed - SB
2003 - #1 seed - SB
2004 - #2 seed - SB

2005 - no bye - division game
2006 - no bye - conf game

2007 - #1 seed - SB
2009 - no bye - wildcard game
2010 - #1 seed - division game
2011 - #1 seed - SB
2012 - #2 seed - conf game
2013 - #2 seed - conf game

2014 - #1 seed - SB

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
Back