PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Players with salary cap ?'s and why it may make sense to extend McCourty...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we need a revamp at the position of RB but that certainly will not be the focus for the next season, maybe one new piece added. We simply don't have a top RB.

Blount - Ok, but you don't make a commitment for years because of one good season alternating excellent performances with some shame ones. I need one more season to have an opinion. I would try a cheaper deal. He's not getting big money on FA.

Vereen - Ok, but he's more effective receiving than running. Injury prone.

Ridley - Fumble machine. Can't strech a 60 yards run.

Bolden - Garbage and injury prone.

Although we have a good rotation that's not a RB corps to go confident in the playoffs.

Considering he was 2nd team All Pro, he's clearly not rated highly only on Patsfans.

Please, as so many others have asked, think before you post.

If McCourty was 2nd team All Pro the AFC had some Horrific FS's in 2013.

ditto!!!

I frankly can't see the McCourty love that goes on here. He is a JAG at best! The only reason he seems to be decent is that he is playing next to a truely putrid safety in Gregory! McCourty isn't good in coverage, always seems to be late to the party, he doesn't deliver a big hit.

McCourty is a decent #3 CB

:bricks:

varjao said:
I think we need a revamp at the position of RB but that certainly will not be the focus for the next season, maybe one new piece added. We simply don't have a top RB.

Blount - Ok, but you don't make a commitment for years because of one good season alternating excellent performances with some shame ones. I need one more season to have an opinion. I would try a cheaper deal. He's not getting big money on FA.

Vereen - Ok, but he's more effective receiving than running. Injury prone.

Ridley - Fumble machine. Can't strech a 60 yards run.

Bolden - Garbage and injury prone.

Although we have a good rotation that's not a RB corps to go confident in the playoffs.

:bricks:

Didn't know Felger and Mazz posted here, now i know.

If McCourty was 2nd team All Pro the AFC had some Horrific FS's in 2013.

The All-Pro team is composed of all players from all 32 teams it is not conference specific.

This would have been my starting tandem, too. It's hard to argue with any of the players here. Well done, voters!

Safeties: Earl Thomas, Seattle; Eric Berry, Kansas City.

Second team: Eric Weddle, San Diego; Kam Chancellor, Seattle, Jairus Byrd, Buffalo, T.J. Ward, Cleveland, Devin McCourty, New England and Antrel Rolle, New York Giants.

2013 All-Pro teams - NFL.com

I think McCourty is one of the best afeties in the NFL. I also think however, that his play towards the end of the season did not match his stellar performances early on - at least that's what my eyes told me.

Is Ridley someone that needs to be extended? He was a 4th round pick that was ouplayed this year by a UDFA and 7th round trade. I like Ridley but I think there are enough Ridley's out there that we don't need to spend long-term money on this one (unless he comes cheap).

We actually took Ridley 73rd overall in 2011. Not to nitpick :)

I like Ridley, I think he had a bad year because of the fumbling problems and that opened the door for Blount toward the end of the season, and I don’t know that I would say he was outplayed, he did lead the team in rushing by a whopping 1 yard over Blount. Personally I would like to have them both back for at least 2-3 more seasons but if I was to commit to 1 it would be Ridley because I think he is the more talented of the 2 but more importantly he is 2 years younger and no position in the NFL is impacted more by age than RB. That aside I do agree I don’t think they need to extend him and I don’t even know that I would extend Vereen given he has never been able to sustain performance over a full season, the only reason I would consider extending either/both is the UFA market for RBs in 2015 is extremely weak.
  • Frank Gore-49ers
  • Fred Jackson-Bills
  • Darren Sproles-Saints
  • Benjarvus Greene Ellis-Bengals
  • Pierre Thomas-Saints
  • Le'Ron McClain-Chargers
  • Vonta Leach-Ravens
  • Danny Woodhead-Chargers
  • Jason Snelling-Falcons
  • Ryan Gene Williams-Cardinals
  • Justin Forsett-Jaguars
  • Cedric Peerman-Bengals
  • Montell Owens-Lions
  • Shane Vereen-Patriots
  • Mikel Leshoure-Lions
  • Michael Robinson-Seahawks
  • Daniel Thomas-Dolphins
  • Tashard Choice-Colts
  • Chris Ogbonnaya-Browns
  • DeMarco Murray-Cowboys
  • Stevan Ridley-Patriots
  • Quinn Johnson-Titans
  • Antone Smith-Falcons
  • John Conner-Giants
  • Joe McKnight-Chiefs
  • Alex Green-Jets
  • Roy Helu-Redskins
  • Kendall Hunter-49ers
  • Taiwan Jones-Raiders
  • Bilal Powell-Jets
  • Josh Vaughan-Falcons
  • Tyler Clutts-Cowboys
  • Anthony Sherman-Chiefs
  • Jacquizz Rodgers-Falcons
  • Dion Lewis-Browns
  • DuJuan Harris-Packers
  • Evan Royster-Redskins
  • Bruce Miller-49ers

I think McCourty is one of the best afeties in the NFL. I also think however, that his play towards the end of the season did not match his stellar performances early on - at least that's what my eyes told me.

My thought on McCourty is if he can work on catching the football he will leap Earl Thomas as the best safety in the NFL, this season McCourty probably had his hands on 5-7 very catchable footballs that he was unable to reel in.

ditto!!!

I frankly can't see the McCourty love that goes on here. He is a JAG at best! The only reason he seems to be decent is that he is playing next to a truely putrid safety in Gregory! McCourty isn't good in coverage, always seems to be late to the party, he doesn't deliver a big hit.

Let me first start out by saying only Richard Sherman has more interceptions since 2010 than Devin McCourty. Second I will compare McCourty to Earl Thomas who is widely considered to be the best safety in the NFL.

Earl Thomas
• Games – 64
• Tackles – 345
• Sacks – 0
• Forced Fumbles – 5
• Fumble Recoveries – 3
• Interceptions – 15
• Pass Defended – 31
• Stuffs – 9

Devin McCourty
• Games – 61
• Tackles – 320
• Sacks – 1
• Forced Fumbles – 7
• Fumble Recoveries – 1
• Interceptions – 15
• Pass Defended – 52
• Stuffs – 13

If this doesn’t highlight how foolish referring to McCourty as a solid 3rd CB is I don’t know what will because clearly you’re not watching the games.

We actually took Ridley 73rd overall in 2011. Not to nitpick :)

I like Ridley, I think he had a bad year because of the fumbling problems and that opened the door for Blount toward the end of the season, and I don’t know that I would say he was outplayed, he did lead the team in rushing by a whopping 1 yard over Blount. Personally I would like to have them both back for at least 2-3 more seasons but if I was to commit to 1 it would be Ridley because I think he is the more talented of the 2 but more importantly he is 2 years younger and no position in the NFL is impacted more by age than RB. That aside I do agree I don’t think they need to extend him and I don’t even know that I would extend Vereen given he has never been able to sustain performance over a full season, the only reason I would consider extending either/both is the UFA market for RBs in 2015 is extremely weak.

Yeah, 3rd round. Thanks.

I like Ridley, I think he's a good RB but I think Blount is a better weapon and in this NFL 3rd string RBs can be found day 3 in the draft or even UDFA. I have no problem extending Ridley for the right money but I wouldn't be bothered if we don't.

Throwaway question here. If BJGE gets cut by the Bengals, do we bring him back?

ditto!!!

The Pats don't use a Cover 2/Tampa type defense so I'm not sure why McCourty would ever be lurking to deliver the big hit in the first place.

That would be Gregory's job anyway.

So, this is the most knowledgeable patriot board.

Some here think McCourty is a JAG and that we need to replace and upgrade him.

Others think that he is an all-pro and one of the top 8 safeties in the NFL, and has the talent to continue to improve at the position compared to other safeties.
==

This seems similar to the discussion of Mankins.

So, this is the most knowledgeable patriot board.

Some here think McCourty is a JAG and that we need to replace and upgrade him.

Others think that he is an all-pro and one of the top 8 safeties in the NFL, and has the talent to continue to improve at the position compared to other safeties.
==

Well, let's start off slowly:

Byrd
Berry
Thomas
Ward
Weddle
Moore
Goldson
Whitner
Polamalu

That's 9 right there, meaning there's a 2 player cushion before McCourty hits the top 8, and that's just a quick listing, ignoring players like Chancellor and Jones.

Looks to me like the question "Is McCourty a JAG, or a top 8 safety?"

a.) JAG
b.) Top 8 safety

Is going to end up with

c.) Neither

In-between may be right. That simply means that we disagree with those who voted for the all-pro designations.

For example, I would certainly take McCourty over Polamalu at this point in his career.

Well, let's start off slowly:

Byrd
Berry
Thomas
Ward
Weddle
Moore
Goldson
Whitner
Polamalu

That's 9 right there, meaning there's a 2 player cushion before McCourty hits the top 8, and that's just a quick listing, ignoring players like Chancellor and Jones.

Looks to me like the question "Is McCourty a JAG, or a top 8 safety?"

a.) JAG
b.) Top 8 safety

Is going to end up with

c.) Neither

In-between may be right. That simply means that we disagree with those who voted for the all-pro designations.

Not really. All-Pro is not a ranking system. As for McCourty over Polamalu, Polamalu had more INTs, more passes defensed, more forced fumbles, more tackles and the same number of fumbles recovered.

Not really. All-Pro is not a ranking system. As for McCourty over Polamalu, Polamalu had more INTs, more passes defensed, more forced fumbles, more tackles and the same number of fumbles recovered.

Tavon Wilson had a good year in 2012 with all those interceptions, tackles and fumbles recovered. I wonder why BB benched him.

Tavon Wilson had a good year in 2012 with all those interceptions, tackles and fumbles recovered. I wonder why BB benched him.

Good point because, when you think of NFL safeties with sustained excellence over a period of about a decade, you're thinking of Tavon Wilson, so that's a perfectly even comparison. I mean, it's Brady/Manning/Rodgers/Brees, and Polamalu/McCourty/Tavon.

Ah yes, let's use stats to compare a free safety who is the furthest defender from the ball on 90% of the plays to a strong safety who regularly lines up in the box and is allowed to freelance essentially as much as he wants in coverage.

Of course McCourty could do a better job of baiting QBs into bad throws (thus producing more PDs and interceptions), but it's hardly worth complaining about when he instead just plays coverage well enough that the QB doesn't even throw the ball in his area the majority of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
Back