PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Players with salary cap ?'s and why it may make sense to extend McCourty...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brady6

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
The first reason it makes reason to extend McCourty is the obvious and that is because he is a stud.

The second reason is something I was hoping to get some clarification on – according to Miguel’s page McCourty has a cap # of $5,115,000 this season, if we extended him would we be able to move the money around and shave 1-2 million off his cap # to be used elsewhere?

Miguel's UNOFFICIAL 2013 Patriots Salary Cap Footnotes and Documentation Page - Devin McCourty

Re: Why it might make sense to extend Devin McCourty now...

Let me start this by saying that I am the furthest on this board from being a salary cap expert. I was looking at Miguel’s page this morning and we have a number of players carrying significant cap hits this season and I wanted to see what everyone thought in terms of who could be asked to restructure, extended or who could be released.

Players/Cap Hits (what I would like to see happen)
• Vince Wilfork -$11,600,000 (extended and restructured)
• Logan Mankins-$10,500,000 (restructured)
• Jerod Mayo-$7,287,500 (nothing)
• Devin McCourty-$5,115,000 (extended and restructured)
• Danny Amendola-$4,575,000 (50/50 between nothing and restructured)
• Dan Connolly-$4,083,334 (asked to take a pay cut or released)
• Stephen Gostkowski-$3,800,000 (restructured)
• Kyle Arrington-$3,625,000 (nothing)
• Steve Gregory-$3,558,334 (asked to take a pay cut or released)
• Isaac Sopoaga -$3,500,000 (released)
• Tommy Kelly-$2,656,250 (asked to take a pay cut or released)
• Matthew Slater-$2,266,668 (extended and restructured)
• Adrian Wilson-$1,833,333 (released)

Re: Why it might make sense to extend Devin McCourty now...

The first reason it makes reason to extend McCourty is the obvious and that is because he is a stud.

The second reason is something I was hoping to get some clarification on – according to Miguel’s page McCourty has a cap # of $5,115,000 this season, if we extended him would we be able to move the money around and shave 1-2 million off his cap # to be used elsewhere?

Miguel's UNOFFICIAL 2013 Patriots Salary Cap Footnotes and Documentation Page - Devin McCourty

The guy who in year 3 disappeared for the second half of the season. The guy who was late to every play during the AFCGG?

Do you see the offensive passing attacks wet are going up against into 2014? I'm not even sure I want DMC on the patriots.

Rodgers
Cutler
Stafford
Manning
Rivers
Luck

At the very least:

Re-do
Wilfork (Cap hit 11.6M)
Mankins (Cap hit 10.5M)

Release (wouldn't think twice)
Sopoaga (save $2M)
Connolly (save $2.5M)
A.Wilson (save .671)

Obviously, it make sense to extend McCourty. It also makes sense to extend Gostkowski, Slater, Vereen and Ridley. The question is money. I would add Gregory, Connolly and Kelly. The question is ability to come to terms.

You would need to pay McCourty enough in guaranteed money to keep him from waiting and testing the free agent market.

Obviously, it make sense to extend McCourty. It also makes sense to extend Gostkowski, Slater, Vereen and Ridley. The question is money. I would add Gregory, Connolly and Kelly. The question is ability to come to terms.

You would need to pay McCourty enough in guaranteed money to keep him from waiting and testing the free agent market.

I was actually asking if my thinking that by extending him now we could adjust his 2014 cap #?

In my opinion Connolly's future here will probably be impacted by whether we resign Wendell or sign another UFA OC. If we do resign Wendell or sign a different player I could see the team cutting Connolly and sliding Cannon inside to RG. On second though Mankins will probably factor into how they handle Connolly as well.

Gregory just turned 31 years old so I'm not sure if they'd extend him out; maybe the could rework the deal to make it a 3 year deal including the remaining year of his current contract. I personally think that Harmon in year 2 will be more than capable of giving us what Gregory gave us, and call me foolish but I still hold out hopes for Tavon Wilson (I know).

I think much like the Amendola or Edelman decision there is similar decision when it comes to Blount or Ridley and which one they commit to long term.

McCourty doesn't remind me of Ed Reed before or during his prime. I think McCourty is vastly overratted on Patsfans.com which is probably the only place on the planet.:snob: I would much rather his brother instead, McCourty is not a Safety who scares opposing QB's and he has terrible hands to boot. I think Teams only extend elite Players before the end of their contracts McCourty is not an Elite player.

McCourty doesn't remind me of Ed Reed before or during his prime. I think McCourty is vastly overratted on Patsfans.com which is probably the only place on the planet.:snob: I would much rather his brother instead, McCourty is not a Safety who scares opposing QB's and he has terrible hands to boot. I think Teams only extend elite Players before the end of their contracts McCourty is not an Elite player.

The question is, can you replace him without using a first round draft pick. Safeties haven't been all that good coming out of college recently and I wouldn't want to go through those safety-less years we had until we moved McCourty there. We've upgraded the position substantially. Let's not go back to the Ihedigbo years.

Is Ridley someone that needs to be extended? He was a 4th round pick that was ouplayed this year by a UDFA and 7th round trade. I like Ridley but I think there are enough Ridley's out there that we don't need to spend long-term money on this one (unless he comes cheap).

By that logic, Ninkovich is an elite player. :)

ditto!!!

I frankly can't see the McCourty love that goes on here. He is a JAG at best! The only reason he seems to be decent is that he is playing next to a truely putrid safety in Gregory! McCourty isn't good in coverage, always seems to be late to the party, he doesn't deliver a big hit.

McCourty is a decent #3 CB

By that logic, Ninkovich is an elite player. :)

Different position different player, Ninkovich is not an overrated player on this Board he's not Great but he's solid. I for one am not going to put McCourty in Canton like some of you. If we did that Draft over I would have preferred Dez Brayant and 100% sure Brady would too.:)

I was actually asking if my thinking that by extending him now we could adjust his 2014 cap #?

The answer is Yes.

Pats could extend him through the 2018 season.
Give him a $10 million signing bonus which would be prorated over 5 years (2014/15/16/17/18)
Lower his salary to $920,000.
which would lower his cap number from $5,115,000 to $4,115,000

Current cap number of $5,115,000 consists
$3,920,000 salary
$1,145,000 signing bonus proration
$50,000 offseason workout bonus money

Proposed cap number of $4,115,000 consists of
$920,000 salary
$3,145,000 signing bonus proration
$50,000 offseason workout bonus money

MCCOURTY
Miguel estimates the savings at $1M. I posted his article as a reference.

CONNOLLY
Mankins is not a "factor" in what we do with Connolly. I understand re-signing Wendell instead of keeping Connolly. I am fine with that. I wouldn't cut Connolly until Wendell was resigned.

GREGORY
Yes, a 3-year deal is what I had in mind. Yes, Harmon AND Wilson may be very valuable this year. I would not want to count on both of them for a major number of reps. For me, the choice is whether to replace Gregory with a vet. My guess is that a mid-level vet that we could get for the same price wouldn't be an improvement. Of course, we COULD bring in a top safety, but I don't think that this will happen.

BLOUNT and RIDLEY
I agree that a long-term solution is a good idea. Some think that we can re-sign Blount for very little money and then decide about Ridley later.

In my opinion Connolly's future here will probably be impacted by whether we resign Wendell or sign another UFA OC. If we do resign Wendell or sign a different player I could see the team cutting Connolly and sliding Cannon inside to RG. On second though Mankins will probably factor into how they handle Connolly as well.

Gregory just turned 31 years old so I'm not sure if they'd extend him out; maybe the could rework the deal to make it a 3 year deal including the remaining year of his current contract. I personally think that Harmon in year 2 will be more than capable of giving us what Gregory gave us, and call me foolish but I still hold out hopes for Tavon Wilson (I know).

I think much like the Amendola or Edelman decision there is similar decision when it comes to Blount or Ridley and which one they commit to long term.

I don't think McCourty is that top safety some think but we are not in position to find anything better on FA or draft, so there's nothing much better out there and he's still a young player with plenty of room to develop. Let's remember he's not originally a safety, he made the change already in NFL. A lot of things to adjust but he can get there. Also he fits BB's philosophy, locker room, work ethic, all that stuff.

BUTTTTT, I'm ok with an extension in the right terms, I don't think he has achieved a level to look for big money as a FA, so a fair deal is in order.

The problem is, BB gave that disgraceful contract for Arrington, I wonder how much cap will he lock on McCourty.

If belichick thinks that Ridley is being outplayed by Blount and Bolden, he should sign Blount and Bolden to 3 or more year contracts (ditto for Vereen).

My point is that we have four running backs. One is a free agent now. The others will be free agents after the season. Unless, we want a total mess at the position following this season, it would be a good idea to address the issue now.

My personal preference would be a 3-5 contract for Blount, and an extension of Vereen.

Is Ridley someone that needs to be extended? He was a 4th round pick that was ouplayed this year by a UDFA and 7th round trade. I like Ridley but I think there are enough Ridley's out there that we don't need to spend long-term money on this one (unless he comes cheap).

If belichick thinks that Ridley is being played by Blount and Bolden, he should sign Blount and Bolden to 3 or more year contracts (ditto for Vereen).

My point is that we have four running backs. One is a free agent now. The others will be free agents after the season. Unless, we want a total mess at the position following this season, it would be a good idea to address the issue now.

My personal preference would be a 3-5 contract for Blount, and an extension of Vereen.

I agree on Blount and Vereen.

Considering he was 2nd team All Pro, he's clearly not rated highly only on Patsfans.

Please, as so many others have asked, think before you post.

ditto!!!

I frankly can't see the McCourty love that goes on here. He is a JAG at best! The only reason he seems to be decent is that he is playing next to a truely putrid safety in Gregory! McCourty isn't good in coverage, always seems to be late to the party, he doesn't deliver a big hit.

McCourty is a decent #3 CB

Another terrible post.

You do realize (well, obviously you don't) that being paired with a mediocre safety like Gregory isn't going to redound to McCourty's benefit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back