PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Players are FREQUENTLY claimed off waivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

spacecrime

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
In multiple threads this year (and in previous years), people have claimed that no rookie ever gets claimed off waivers, saying it happens once or twice every few years. This is used as a rationale why all our rookies will survive to make the practice squad.

We all shopuld know that at least four rookies we cut last year on cutdown day were claimed, plus the Dolphins took Gene Mrucowski- not a rookie, but we are not the only team to have players claimed on waivers. There are enough that the idea that teams will not add new players because their old ones know the system is pure bunk.

Here are the some waiver wire claims (not all, doesn't have Jets taking our guys, so I know it isn't complete). Nevertheless, here are some claims for a couple of days from last year, which I hope will put to bed for once and for all that claiming rookies off the waiver wire on cutdown day is rare:

Mon, 3 Sep 2007 06:01:23 -0700

The Arizona Cardinals announced they have claimed free-agent WR Jerheme Urban (Broncos) off waivers

Mon, 3 Sep 2007 06:00:41 -0700

The Arizona Cardinals announced they have claimed free-agent DE Quentin Moses (Raiders) off waivers.

Sun, 2 Sep 2007 12:31:26 -0700

The Cincinnati Bengals have announced they have claimed RB Clifton Dawson (Colts) off waivers.

Sun, 2 Sep 2007 12:30:49 -0700

The Cincinnati Bengals have announced they have claimed CB David Jones (Saints) off waivers.

Sun, 2 Sep 2007 12:28:53 -0700

The Cincinnati Bengals have announced they have claimed LB Anthony Schlegel (Jets) off waivers.

Mon, 3 Sep 2007 00:22:14 -0700

The Dallas Cowboys announced they have claimed free-agent CB Evan Oglesby (Bills) off waivers.

Mon, 3 Sep 2007 00:21:03 -0700

The Dallas Cowboys announced they have claimed free-agent LB Justin Rogers (Patriots) off waivers.

Mon, 3 Sep 2007 13:16:18 -0700

The Detroit Lions have claimed S Eric Frampton off waivers of the Oakland Raiders.

Sun, 2 Sep 2007 11:47:51 -0700

The Green Bay Packers have announced they have claimed FB John Kuhn (Steelers) off waivers.

Tue, 4 Sep 2007 12:18:25 -0700

The Kansas City Chiefs have announced they have claimed LB Johnny Baldwin (Lions) off waivers.

Mon, 3 Sep 2007 06:03:55 -0700

The Minnesota Vikings announced they have claimed free-agent TE Garrett Mills (Patriots) off waivers.

Tue, 4 Sep 2007 17:15:11 -0700

Arthur Staple, of New York Newsday, citing Kevin Seifert, of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, reports the New York Giants have claimed CB Dovonte Edwards off waivers from the Minnesota Vikings.

Tue, 4 Sep 2007 17:08:17 -0700

Arthur Staple, of New York Newsday, citing the NFL Network, reports the New York Giants have claimed OG Kevin Boothe off waivers from the Oakland Raiders.

Sun, 2 Sep 2007 23:41:52 -0700

The Philadelphia Eagles announced they have claimed free-agent LB Pago Togafau (Cardinals) off waivers.

Mon, 3 Sep 2007 19:25:43 -0700

ESPNews reports the St. Louis Rams have claimed RB Antonio Pittman off waivers of the New Orleans Saints.

Mon, 3 Sep 2007 06:25:15 -0700

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers announced they have claimed free-agent CB Anthony Madison (Steelers) off waivers.

Mon, 3 Sep 2007 06:10:37 -0700

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers announced they have claimed WR Taye Biddle (Panthers) off waivers.

Tue, 4 Sep 2007 15:55:57 -0700

Jason La Canfora, of the Washington Post, reports the Washington Redskins have claimed WR Shaun Bodiford (Packers) off waivers.

Tue, 4 Sep 2007 16:03:09 -0700

Jason La Canfora, of the Washington Post, reports the Washington Redskins have claimed TE Cody Boyd (Steelers) off waivers.

Tue, 4 Sep 2007 16:02:22 -0700

Jason La Canfora, of the Washington Post, reports the Washington Redskins have released TE Eric Edwards.

This last is only to dispute the notion that teams will not take in new, unknown talent to replace what they are comfortable with. They claimed someone else's TE and cut their own.

I understand it is exciting to see that we brought in an UDFA who MIGHT be able to play in the league, but he hasn't done anything that would make other teams think more highly of him than when they didn't draft him. Certainly not enough for tem to think him WITH NO KNOWLEDGE OF THEIR SYSTEM AND NOT A PRACTICE WITH THEM UNDER HIS BELT would be better than whoever they have to cut to sign him.

This isn't even close as an argument. All of these reasons are why it almost never happens. Once again anyone who disputes this give me a list of all the players in the last year, 2,3,4 years that were rookies cut at final cutdown then signed by another team prior to opening day. I have looked it up, and know that it almost never happens. IF you are going to disagree with me, show me when it has happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Back