PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pick one at each position:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ungeheuer

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
So I've been thinking -- rather than try to guess which players go where, I'm just going to make a wish list of 11 players who would be good picks for the Pats, each one at a different position. The basic concept is that you enter the draft with 11 picks and come out with one wideout, one running back, one quarterback, one tight end, one OT, one interior lineman, one DT, one OLB, one ILB, one safety, and one corner. The only caveat is that this has to be a realistic collection of players -- in other words, you can't pick Curry for your linebacker, Jason Smith for your tackle, Moreno for your back, etc. Roughly speaking, this should be a group of guys you could actually land with the draft picks the Pats have. Encourage everyone to submit their wish list. Here is mine:

WR - Deon Butler. There are a lot of great wideouts in this draft, but Butler just seems like a Pats player. Very brainy guy, spent the summer working in a criminal forensic unit, works hard, has great speed, doesn't drop the ball and is a very good open-field blocker. Plus he can be had in the late rounds. Also like Jarret Dillard from Rice, who reminds me of Derrick Mason, but Butler seems like a value because he'll be underdrafted thanks to a) his height and b) being in the shadow of Derrick Williams.

RB - Knowshon Moreno. I think he'll be there when the Pats pick and I think they should take him. It solves their running back problem long-term, and he's perfect for this team -- great on blitz pickup, terrific receiver, balls-out runner, a tough cover on screens. He would add a dimension on offense that would make them almost unbeatable. Everyone is screaming for this team to go defense, but think of what the Colts did earlier this decade -- when it seemed like they were a few defensive players away, they kept adding guys like Dallas Clark, Addai, Gonzalez and Reggie Wayne with high picks. They augmented strengths rather than impatiently chasing holes.

QB -- Pat White. You can probably get him in the third round and he saves you a roster spot by being your third QB and your fifth wideout.

TE - Shawn Nelson. Probably a first-day pick, too. But there are a lot of good tight ends in this draft and it might be worth getting one with these skills relatively early. Nelson is the kind of pass-catching TE the Pats have been looking for, and he's going to be there at the end of round 2 probably.

OT - T.J. Lang. Just for the pure physicality of the guy, he's worth it. Another tough, faceless, bleeder-type lineman, fits in with this group, and he can be had late.

OG - Tyronne Green. He's fast, can pull and hit guys in space. Used to play defense. Fits the general body type and demeanor of a Pats lineman. And again, you could get him late. Also like Trevor Canfield, who reminds me of Kaczur a little.

DT - Ron Brace. He's a true nose tackle, he probably doesn't suck, and he can be had in the second round, which is rare. He's insurance for Wilfork leaving; he also adds a backup to the 3-4 DE, because once you have Brace, Wright is free to back up the end. And who knows, maybe he fits as an eventual replacement for Seymour, playing next to Wilfork. Once you take Brace, Nelson and Moreno, that leaves you with one first-day pick probably.

OLB - Paul Kruger. I like him for three reasons: 1) He can play inside and out 2) He's got good size for the position, and 3) He's undervalued because guys like Maybin and English and Everette Brown who don't play the run are always overvalued at draft time. Of all the OLBs in this draft, Kruger is the only one you can feel pretty sure can handle the run, the pass, and the pass rush. Maybe Matthews, too, but Matthews won't be there at 34. I could live with Barwin, too, but I'd prefer a guy with more experience at the position. Plus the Pats are a little deficient in the Mormon department. Every good team needs at least one.

ILB - Jasper Brinkley. The Pats have had good luck with players who are undervalued at draft time thanks to a college injury -- Curtis Martin is one. I love this guy. He's the Brandon Jacobs of inside linebackers. He's enormous and hits like a ton of bricks. The perfect thumper-type Mike linebacker to play next to Jerod Mayo; he'd really give the team a defensive identity. If you want to be impressed, look at the video of him intercepting Matt Stafford. Watch how fast he runs on the run-back. You can get Brinkley in the fourth round, third at worst, because he's still not all the way back from an injury.

CB - Gotta go with Don Carey here. He just looks like a Pats player, right down to the boring name and the anonymous, no-hype draft profile. Exactly the kind of player who makes you gasp, "Who?" when he is picked by a defiant BB in the fifth round with someone like Brandon Tate or Barwin or Lawrence Sidbury still sitting tantalizingly on the board. Plus he's big and physical and can play some safety. I really think BB is going to pick this guy.

S - Chip Vaughn. On the other hand, I know BB is not going to pick this guy. I wish he would, because Vaughn I think is undervalued -- great speed (he was sub-4.4 on some watches at the Combine) and he has size and is a great gunner. I just think the team eventually needs a safety above 5'11".

Just some thoughts. There are obviously a lot of players on the board who I love and would love to see on the team. I think they could really use Maualuga and love Beatty and I also like Jarron Gilbert. But I like this combo here. And the more I think about it, the more I imagine that we're going to end up with something a little counterintuitive like this. Anyway, would be interested to see what everyone else comes up with...

OT - T.J. Lang. Just for the pure physicality of the guy, he's worth it. Another tough, faceless, bleeder-type lineman, fits in with this group, and he can be had late.

DT - Ron Brace. He's a true nose tackle, he probably doesn't suck, and he can be had in the second round, which is rare. He's insurance for Wilfork leaving; he also adds a backup to the 3-4 DE, because once you have Brace, Wright is free to back up the end. And who knows, maybe he fits as an eventual replacement for Seymour, playing next to Wilfork. Once you take Brace, Nelson and Moreno, that leaves you with one first-day pick probably.

OLB - Paul Kruger. I like him for three reasons: 1) He can play inside and out 2) He's got good size for the position, and 3) He's undervalued because guys like Maybin and English and Everette Brown who don't play the run are always overvalued at draft time. Of all the OLBs in this draft, Kruger is the only one you can feel pretty sure can handle the run, the pass, and the pass rush. Maybe Matthews, too, but Matthews won't be there at 34. I could live with Barwin, too, but I'd prefer a guy with more experience at the position. Plus the Pats are a little deficient in the Mormon department. Every good team needs at least one.

ILB - Jasper Brinkley. The Pats have had good luck with players who are undervalued at draft time thanks to a college injury -- Curtis Martin is one. I love this guy. He's the Brandon Jacobs of inside linebackers. He's enormous and hits like a ton of bricks. The perfect thumper-type Mike linebacker to play next to Jerod Mayo; he'd really give the team a defensive identity. If you want to be impressed, look at the video of him intercepting Matt Stafford. Watch how fast he runs on the run-back. You can get Brinkley in the fourth round, third at worst, because he's still not all the way back from an injury.

I really like these players, although I see Lang having more success if he moves inside to OG. Lang has tremendous drive blocking ability. And on the inside he can get his hands opposing players easier.

Brace appears to have two gap ability and we could use a backup NT.

Brinkley had a down senior season, but I think most of that was because of his injury. He would look great at SILB for our team.

Kruger could play OLB or ILB in our defense. He showed me in the bowl game that he has tremendous instincts and makes plays. He can set the edge and find the ball.

I like Brace, Kruger, Brinkley and Nelson. I really liked Eric Woods in the Senior Bowl but would be happy with Unger, Mack or maybe even the Alabama center. I like the UCONN linebacker, can never remember his name. If Alphonso Smith falls deep into the second round I would like him. I like Larry English at OLB, Robiskie and Iglesias at WR. I don't want a RB at a high pick, we are going to have to cut one or two decent RB's this year anyway. I'll stick with Faulk until his legs fall off and I did not like him early on because of the fumbles.

as far as I'm concerned we only need one thing to make this season successful, A PASS RUSH!!!!!!!! Our only offensive weakness is Stephen Neal's fragility. Defense, Defense. If you saw the NFL show about the 2003 season that is what will happen here/.

WR - Mike Thomas(124)
RB - Rashad Jennings(97)
QB - pass
TE - pass
OT - pass
G - Eric Wood(47)
DE - Fili Moala(89)
OLB - Larry English(34)
ILB - Scott McKillop(132)
S - Chip Vaughn(58)
CB - Darius Butler(23)

Last edited:
I like Brace, Kruger, Brinkley and Nelson. I really liked Eric Woods in the Senior Bowl but would be happy with Unger, Mack or maybe even the Alabama center. I like the UCONN linebacker, can never remember his name. If Alphonso Smith falls deep into the second round I would like him. I like Larry English at OLB, Robiskie and Iglesias at WR. I don't want a RB at a high pick, we are going to have to cut one or two decent RB's this year anyway. I'll stick with Faulk until his legs fall off and I did not like him early on because of the fumbles.

as far as I'm concerned we only need one thing to make this season successful, A PASS RUSH!!!!!!!! Our only offensive weakness is Stephen Neal's fragility. Defense, Defense. If you saw the NFL show about the 2003 season that is what will happen here/.
Well, there is depth behind Moss & Welker to consider for offensive weakness beyond Neal's back-up.

QB: Tom Brandstater, Fresno State. Has all the Patriot QB Traits: Tall, from cali, good arm, accurate, underrated college career, plus the Pat Hill connection. 5th-6th
RB: I don't like very many (outside Moreno), so I'll a late RD 3rd down back like Tyrell Suttom from Northwestern. 6th-7th
WR: Austin Collie, BYU. slot guy. 4th round.
TE: Jared Bronson, TE, Central Washington. Big sleeper. reminds me of Witten/Greg Olsen. 4th-5th.
OL: Jamon Meredith, South Carolina. Starting RT by week 7. 2nd RD. (47)
DL: Jarron Gilbert, San Jose State. 2nd Rd. Starting DE in 2010. (34)
OLB: Everette Brown, Florida State. He's falling in mock drafts and i'd give it up a pick or two to get him. i think he's the 3rd best player for the Pats in the whole draft after Monroe and J.Smith. 1st rd.
ILB: Frantz Joseph, Florida Atlantic. love him. 3rd RD. (89)
CB: Jerraud Powers, CB, Auburn. Can't look over the Will Muschamp connection and the success of wilhite. BB goes back to the well. 3rd Rd. (97)
S: Rashard Johnson, S, Alabama. Good CF, smart, special teams, Saban connection. 2nd Round (58)

This seems a difficult exercise, but I'm in the procrastinating mood.

#23 Malcolm Jenkins CB Ohio St
#34 Clint Sintim OLB Virginia
#47 William Beatty OT Connecticut
#58 Patrick Chung S Oregon
#89 Chase Coffman TE Missouri
#97 Jonathan Luigs G Arkansas
#124 Tiquan Underwood WR Rutgers
#136 Tony Fiametta RB Syracuse
#169 Antonio Appleby ILB Virginia
#192 Terrance Knighton NT Temple
#230 Curtis Painter QB Purdue

How's that?