PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFT Speculates on Moss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keegs said:
I don't know why you would take Porter over Moss.

The laughing on the sidelines thing is just as bad as what people say about Moss, which might not be 100% accurate.

I really do think Moss has gotten better.. And with Brady throwing to him and our veterans keeping him in line it would be fine.

I would prefer Moss over Porter. Definitely.

the reason why is because porter doesn't have a clear track record of being a cancer like moss does.

also, porter is just coming into his own, where as moss is probably starting to slip from where he was a few years back.

I severely doubt either would ever happen, so this is kind of irrelevant, IMO.

Keegs said:
I don't know why you would take Porter over Moss.

The laughing on the sidelines thing is just as bad as what people say about Moss, which might not be 100% accurate.

I really do think Moss has gotten better.. And with Brady throwing to him and our veterans keeping him in line it would be fine.

I would prefer Moss over Porter. Definitely.
Several reasons. While I don't like the laughing on the sidelines bit, it pays to remember that Dillon did similar things when disaffected by his old team.

1. I think Porter has more upside than Moss. One could argue that Moss' best years are behind him.

2. Porter would likely come at a significantly cheaper price. (i.e. draft picks)

3. I'm not familiar with the contracts of either player, but I bet Porter's is significantly lower than Moss'

4. Though Porter has behaved like a jerk this year, according to the Raiders, he doesn't have a long history of doing so (at least not to my knowledge) unlike Moss. I don't know for sure, but I hope he isn't known for dogging plays and leaving the stadium early ala Moss.

again, I'd take either player for the "right price."

Last edited:
Moss isn't TO - but nor is he "fiercely competitive" either

It's well known that Moss takes plays off - he doesn't go full speed when the ball isn't coming to him and defenses know it.

That's not fiercely competitive.

So while he's a net plus for 5-10 plays a game he's a net minus for the other 40 plays or so.

So this is not the sort of guy you want to give up a #1 draft choice and take on a big salary for. Some even think that he's lost a step - that he's no longer as explosive off the line as he once was.

The Raiders made a huge mistake taking Moss on - let's not do the same thing.

JoeSixPat said:

It's well known that Moss takes plays off - he doesn't go full speed when the ball isn't coming to him and defenses know it.

So while he's a net plus for 5-10 plays a game he's a net minus for the other 40 plays or so.

So this is not the sort of guy you want to give up a #1 draft choice and take on a big salary for. Some even think that he's lost a step - that he's no longer as explosive off the line as he once was.

The Raiders made a huge mistake taking Moss on - let's not do the same thing.
But they just don't seem to even throw the ball to Moss though. Their team is severly screwed up.

The play against the pats on the opening thursday last year was pretty impressive but i don't remember seing many other highlights from randy.

Everything would be different with Brady throwing him the ball.

Keegs said:
But they just don't seem to even throw the ball to Moss though. Their team is severly screwed up.

The play against the pats on the opening thursday last year was pretty impressive but i don't remember seing many other highlights from randy.

I don't agree that everything would be different.
he'd still be a lazy, ignorant, immature, selfish jerk.
he'd still have a huge salary.
he'd still have lost a step and be overrated.

I agree - let's not make the same mistake the raiders did.
would he do better with the pats than he's doing now? of course - way, way better.
would it be worth it? absolutely not.

SamBam39 said:
I don't agree that everything would be different.
he'd still be a lazy, ignorant, immature, selfish jerk.
he'd still have a huge salary.
he'd still have lost a step and be overrated.

I agree - let's not make the same mistake the raiders did.
would he do better with the pats than he's doing now? of course - way, way better.
would it be worth it? absolutely not.
Yeah and although it is fun to talk about, I still think there is no chance in hell of this happening.

I just do not see it.

Keegs said:

That's never an excuse for taking plays off - he could take pressure off his fellow WRs by playing hard every play, like someone who truly is "fiercely competitive" - but he chooses not to

I agree it will not happen, but it would certainly be interesting. I'd do it for a #1 and #3 AT MOST - and I think Belichick would make it work.

Randy's SALARY ALONE this season is $7.5M. His salaries for 2007 and 2008 are $9.75M and $11.25M. His cap #'s for 2007 and 2008 are $12M and $13M+. So it is likely the Raiders will just cut him after the season rather than give in to him. Looks like they will end up with a couple of $2M dead cap hits and have wasted $18M over two years for a player who brought them nothing. Few teams could let alone would consider trading early day 1 picks for a player with $20M in salary remaining at ages 30 and 31. Unless he did a massive restructure and extension into his mid 30's, which might not be a very good idea long term either, you would be renting Randy for $5M plus the cost of the trade compensation for 11 games plus the playoffs.

patsox23 said:
I agree it will not happen, but it would certainly be interesting. I'd do it for a #1 and #3 AT MOST - and I think Belichick would make it work.
agreed
agreed
agreed

JoeSixPat said:

Totally agree, and that's the difference between him and Corey and Rodney. And why we don't want him here.

I think anyone willing to trade a first round draft choice, plus more for Randy Moss just doesn't get it.

I see this as a total guess by PFT. I like their site, but c'mon it's a stab in the dark.

I don't see it happening for many reasons.

The money involved, the raiders having to take a hit.
The raiders traded a #7 and player for him, they are gonna want a #1 and probably a mid to high #1 to save face.
And I don't think the pats want a wr who has quit on plays, admits he took plays off when he was winning. Plus the guy is getting up in age, gonna be 30 next year, not to say that is a factor, and he's slower on grass, plus it's cold in NE.

Last edited:
MrBigglesWorth said:
I see this as a total guess by PFT. I like their site, but c'mon it's a stab in the dark.

I don't see it happening for many reasons.

The money involved, the raiders having to take a hit.
The raiders traded a #7 and player for him, they are gonna want a #1 and probably a mid to high #1 to save face.
And I don't think the pats want a wr who has quit on plays, admits he took plays off when he was winning. Plus the guy is getting up in age, gonna be 30 next year, not to say that is a factor, and he's slower on grass, plus it's cold in NE.

he's a dog and the pats don't want dogs.

Patjew said:
Totally agree, and that's the difference between him and Corey and Rodney. And why we don't want him here.

All that being said - if by some chance it happend (and given the high salary and high pick and high turd factor I don't expect it will) BB would arrange an inter-team scrimmage/practice with the sole purpose of allowing Rodney to "remind" Moss how his teammates feel about taking plays off

I'm sick of people comparing Dillon to every dirtbag!!! Dillon was not anywhere near as bad as these idiots people compare him to!

The whole "Will he buy into the Pats System" was driven by people who didn't know what they were talking about, people who just had nothing else to write about and made up a story, or both.

Just my opinion!! :singing:

Randy's lost a step? lol. He's only 29 years old guys. It's a little too early to be saying stuff like that. If the price is right, the Pats would be insane not to take a chance on him.

PaulNEPats said:
Randy's lost a step? lol. He's only 29 years old guys. It's a little too early to be saying stuff like that. If the price is right, the Pats would be insane not to take a chance on him.

wrong.
sorry.
the insanity is in even imaging they would want anything to do with it.
and yes, he's not the player he was at all.
LOL !

SamBam39 said:
wrong.
sorry.
the insanity is in even imaging they would want anything to do with it.
and yes, he's not the player he was at all.
LOL !

How can he be the same player, when he has Kerry Collins and Aaron Brooks throwing the ball to him (or lack thereof)?

PaulNEPats said:
How can he be the same player, when he has Kerry Collins and Aaron Brooks throwing the ball to him (or lack thereof)?

no doubt he's not nearly as bad as he's been playing, that's due to his team being pathetic.

but it's unlikely he'll ever be as good as he was a few years back.
he's a slouch even if he gets on a better team and starts producing again.

there are too many reasons to list that this guy is a cancer to a team.

it's not just about 'is player A more talented than player B' - the pats have been proving that for 6 years now. it's about creating a winning team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes