PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Best of the New England Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivanvamp

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Since I've been a fan (late 70's), here, from my recollection (and I'm sure there's a lot I've forgotten) are my Patriots superlatives - the best of the best - during that time.

Best Player: Tom Brady. Nothing more needs to be said. Honorable Mention: Andre Tippett, Mike Haynes, John Hannah.

Most exciting player: Randy Moss. When Brady threw deep to Moss it was electric. Honorable Mention: Andre Tippett, Stanley Morgan, Rob Gronkowski.

Hardest hitter: Andre Tippett. I remember one play where he caught a RB in the air and, WWE style, power slammed him to the ground. That black belt came in handy. Honorable Mention: Ted Johnson, Rodney Harrison, Brandon Spikes.

Best Quarterback: Tom Brady. Obviously. Honorable Mention: Drew Bledsoe, Steve Grogan.

Best Running Back: Curtis Martin. Wasn't a Patriot for that long, but he was phenomenal. Honorable Mention: Corey Dillon, Sam Cunningham, Kevin Faulk.

Best Wide Receiver: Randy Moss. Again, didn't play with NE for that long, but my goodness, when he played, he was the absolute boss. Honorable Mention: Wes Welker, Stanley Morgan, Troy Brown, Terry Glenn.

Best Tight End: Rob Gronkowski. Hard to put him over Coates because Coates did it for longer, but Gronk is an anomaly. Honorable Mention: Ben Coates, Russ Francis.

Best Offensive Lineman: John Hannah. Inner circle hall of famer. 'Nuff said. Honorable Mention: Bruce Armstrong, Logan Mankins, Brian Holloway, Pete Brock.

Best Defensive Lineman: Vince Wilfork. Just an absolute beast. Honorable Mention: Garin Veras, Julius Adams, Richard Seyour.

Best Linebacker: Andre Tippett. Lots of really good ones to choose from, but Tippett was the best. Honorable Mention: Steve Nelson, Don Blackmon, Willie McGinest, Jerod Mayo.

Best Cornerback: Mike Haynes. Incredible player. Honorable Mention: Raymond Clayborn, Ty Law, Aquib Talib, Asante Samuel.

Best Safety: Rodney Harrison. Was amazing for the Pats. Honorable Mention: Lawyer Malloy, Devin McCourty, Fred Marion.

Best Kicker: Adam Vinatieri. Won a couple of Super Bowls. Honorable Mention: Stephen Gostkowski, Jon Smith, Tony Franklin.

Best Offense: 2007 Patriots. Record-setting, incredible. Honorable Mention: 2012 Patriots, 1996 Patriots, 1976 Patriots.

Best Defense: 2003 Patriots. Solid in every way. Honorable Mention: 2004 Patriots, 1985 Patriots, 2006 Patriots.

Craziest Win: 2013 against the Browns. Came back to score two TDs in the last minute or so to win. Honorable Mention: 1994 against the Vikings. Big comeback, Bledsoe going nuts. 2013 against Denver. Came back down 24 at the half, winning in overtime. 2002 AFCCG against Pittsburgh. Got two special teams TDs to beat the vaunted Steelers.

Most Impressive Win: 2004 playoffs, 20-3 win over Indianapolis. Peyton Manning emerging as a perennial MVP candidate, nice rivalry taking off, Pats just absolutely dismantled them in the playoffs. Honorable Mention: 2002 Super Bowl over St. Louis. 1986 AFCCG over Miami, 2013 win over Baltimore, as they destroyed the defending SB champs 41-7 in Baltimore in a must-win game for the Ravens. 2005 AFCCG, 41-27 over Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh.

Favorite Win Pre-SB Champs: 1986 AFCCG over Miami. The Pats hadn't won there in forever. NE marched down there and just crushed the Dolphins 31-14 on the way to the Super Bowl. Honorable Mention: 2002 Divisional Round over Oakland, the Tuck Rule game. 1994 win over Minnesota. Announced the arrival of Drew Bledsoe.

Favorite Win Post-SB Champs: 2002 Super Bowl over St. Louis. What started it all. Honorable Mention: The two other SB wins, the wins over Peyton Manning in the playoffs, beating Tomlinson and the Chargers in the playoffs. 45-3 win over the Jets in the Butt Fumble (™) game.

Best Team: 2007 Patriots. I know they didn't finish the deal, but come on people, that team was insane. Honorable Mention: 2004 Patriots, 2003 Patriots, 1985 Patriots, 1976 Patriots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back