PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts ....while "Waiting for Godot" or rather Sanders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
The Steelers have another 8 hours to ponder their decision to keep or let go of Sanders. So that leaves us with nothing to do but to continue to go over the usual, well worn discussions. So much like Vladimir and Estragon, I have nothing to do but to sit under a tree and wait and discuss the "events of the day". ;)

1. I don't think Pittburgh will match the offer. Given the state of their roster and cap situation, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to keep Sanders. By keeping him they limit their FA options until 6/1 when they get some cap relief. By keeping him, they get another lame duck WR who can leave after the season. So even if he blossoms into a true starting WR, this could end up being another Mike Wallace 2.0 situation.

The Pats on the other hand, given their roster and cap situation can afford the risk that Sanders won't continue to develop. So if the Pats get him, they'll be happy to add a WR who has improved every year, and has the potential to be a true starter for a very modest price. It's a move that is not without risk,but given where the team is right now, it is a reasonable one.

I think we'll have our decision by the evening news cycle.

2. There seems to be 2 hot buttons here this off season. Issues that cause the most angst and discussion from the membership concerning our team. They are the need to improve our WR corps, and our pass rush. They have taken up the bulk of our time and effort thus far. While I recognize the need, I don't don't share the urgency, and would like to spend some time to explain why....and not for the first time. ;)

WR-

A. Of all the skill positions, WR is the one that has the greatest number of potential prospects. As hard as it is to find a true franchise QB or a truly effective interior pass rusher, that's how easy it is to find professional quaiity WR's. If anything 2006 proved that if you have a "franchise QB", even with sub par WR's you can have a
very capable passing offense. The fact is that we don't need "all pro" WR types to have a passing offense capable of helping us win a Lombardi.

B. Someone wrote a great post where he documented the success rate of WR's in the draft. IIRC, first round was just under 50% and by the 3rd round you were down to 20%. Now the poster made it clear that you didn't have to be a 1000yd
receiver to be considered a "success". You just had to be a "solid" contributor. Its stats like these that make me understand why BB nevers drafts a WR in the first round. He needs better than a fifty-fifty shot at success from a first rounder

BTW- if anyone can find that post and repost it, I'd apprecieate it, if only to give credit to the poster. It is worth repeating. I tried, but couldn't find it, and I don't remember the thread where I read it. Please tell me I wasn't just dreaming it. ;)

C. I think we shouldn't assign strict roles to the receiver group. Position designations like TE's/WR's/SR's have become less relevant in today's offense in general, and especially with the Pats. If we focus just on the receiving skills we have on the roster, the picture is a lot less bleak than some would have us believe.

In Gronk we have an impact receiver, as well as a top blocker. His hands, body control, and physicality make him a potential threat in EVERY area of the field, including deep. In Hernandez we have another impact receiver who has proven he can make all the plays in the intermediate areas of the field, as well as line up as an inline TE. There are dozen's of teams in the NFL who don't start off with that kind of RECEIVER foundation.

Edelman and Amendola's issues are NOT a matter of skill. Both have proven they can get open and run with ball after the catch. Their's is an issue of staying on the field. That's something no one can predict

Jones is an interesting prospect who has shown well vs the Pats in the past. Who knows what he'll become playing in a very dynamic offense with a top QB. But if Sanders can be equated to a Slighgtly taller, faster Deion Branch, then Jones could be equated to a slightly bigger and faster David Givens. Could it be that BB is trying to get the old band' back together. ;)

And in Jenkins we have a potential "physical receiver" would would be an additional red zone threat.

D. This is real early, but depending on needs elsewhere, there is a real possibility that the Pats might only keep 4 true WR's this season. Its going to be hard to keep 5 if we keep 4 TE's and Slater is designated a WR. For this and other reason's, if Sanders ends up with the Pats, there is no chance in hell that we draft a WR with one of those top 2 picks.

PASS RUSH -

A. For 5 seasons from 2003-2007 the Pats had defenses that ranked 6th or better in sacks for 4 of those years. During that time they only had ONE rusher who had double digit sacks (Mike Vrabel-12) during that time. It was the ONLY time Vrabel reached that number. The reason I point this out is because, while we ALL want to have the pass rush improve, it doesn't mean we need to find that "single individual" that will suddenly make it all happen. I
contend, that with our current talent, we could very well see a significant improvement to our pass rush for the following reasons:

B. So many of our key young defensive players are simply going to get better. That list includes, but isn't exclusive to, Jones, Hightower, Dennard, TWilson, Deadrick/Love.

C. The additions of Kelly, Armstead, AWilson, and Talib (for a full healthy season), add to the improvement of the overall talent pool on defense

D. That combination of improved talent and more experience alone will add up to a better pass rush. But there's more.

E. Over the past 4 years the Pats have had one of the LEAST aggressive pass rushes in the league, blitzing only an average of 15% of the time, compared to a league wide average of over 30%. Part of that is because of Bill's proven belief that "bend but don't break" works. (proven in that the Pats have always been successful in trading yds for points, even when the defense was at its worst.) However part of the reason was an overall lack of talent and experience on defense.

I honestly believe that we now have the overall talent and experience to take more chances and be more aggressive on defense. Just moving that blitz number from 15% to 25% will result in an improved pass rush, with more sacks, hurries, and QB hits, without radically changing our defensive philosophy

F. It should be noted that being more aggressive doesn't always mean having to send 5 or more rushers. Overloads, zone blitzes, and DL stunts are other strategies to create more pressure while still keep 7 defenders back in coverage. We've done VERY little of this the last 2 years

G. Please understand that if we eventually do sign a Abraham, Freeney or the like, I'm certainly not going to be upset.I'll be as thrilled as everyone else. But if we don't, I'm not going to think that Pats Superbowl chances are going to disappear either. During the heyday of the Pats defense, they managed to rush the passer well WITHOUT having to
rely on one or two individuals to create sacks. It was more of a TEAM effort.

H. Here's an example of what I mean. Take the addtion of AWilson. I have no illusions that he's still the all Pro Safety he was in his prime. I don't expect him to become an every down player here. What I DO expect him to be is a strong physical presence against the run, a stong physical presence against TE's in man coverage from inside the box
and finally, an accomplished DB blitzer. Something we haven't had since Rodney retired. A couple of additional sacks from him, a few more from Kelly, Jones and Hightower add 3 more each and things start to add up. The results of which will be an improved pass rush, WITHOUT the need to have one of the league's "dominant" pass rushers.

3. I just want to point out that it makes my head want to explode every time people want to throw out that the Pats only scored 13 points in the last playoff game and make it seem like if was because we had a serious flaw with our offense. Those people seem to forget the over 420 yds the offense racked up. The 5 trips into the red zone. The lack of any turnovers to help, and the 2 we gave the Ravens to hinder. Yeah, and losing 4 starters over the course of the game didn't help either (2 on offense)

Now the offense wasn't blameless. I only point this out to those who would like us to believe that nothing more than a complete makeover will save our future hopes. That there is an inherent flaw in our direction. No. That loss to the Ravens was more a function of a lack of execution at key moments, the loss of 2 key defensive players, and no Gronk,
than any endemic problems with the team. We lost that game because the other team made more key plays than we did.

4. Its fast becomeing one of my "pet peeves" when posters seem to try and look upon the last 8 years as a dismal failure. That we have "wasted" Brady's prime years because of some failure to add this player or that. This is simply madness. The results of either of the 2 Superbowl losses could have been changed by one play. In fact in both games there were SEVERAL plays of that ilk....and we all know them well enough that they don't need to be repeated. :mad:

Am I the only one who thinks how REMARKABLE this run is, even with its flaws and imperfections. How we've managed to be one of the elite teams EVERY year, despite watching most of league getting to draft far ahead of us for the last decade. Have we forgotten how hard it is to win a superbowl. How often teams competitive runs are so short lived Did we forget how much good fortune, a good bounce, a good call, and health play in ultimately deciding who hoists the trophy. Have we truly become the most spoiled fan base in the NFL? I'm not sure, but it would be hard to argue we're not.

re: Idle thoughts ....while "Waiting for Godot" or rather Sanders.

1. I don't think Pittburgh will match the offer.
Disagree, you kinda have to have WR's and without him they have nothing.

I'd say Sanders is closer to Givens than Branch, though that's largely because he's a great blocking WR like Givens was. Jones is similar to David Patten, though that's probably his ceiling as a player. Amendola joins the line of Patriots slot WRs, and frankly I think he's a better player than Welker was before he joined the Patriots (I watch a lot of Rams games because my roommate's from St. Louis)

You mention it for Sanders, but it's worth repeating that both Jones and Sanders had career years last year and have improved every year since entering the league. Jenkins is never going to be anything but a slow guy with good hands, but those two have the potential to be better than they are. Then again, so did Doug Gabriel and Reche Caldwell!

4. Its fast becomeing one of my "pet peeves" when posters seem to try and look upon the last 8 years as a dismal failure. That we have "wasted" Brady's prime years because of some failure to add this player or that. This is simply madness. The results of either of the 2 Superbowl losses could have been changed by one play. In fact in both games there were SEVERAL plays of that ilk....and we all know them well enough that they don't need to be repeated. :mad:

Am I the only one who thinks how REMARKABLE this run is, even with its flaws and imperfections. How we've managed to be one of the elite teams EVERY year, despite watching most of league getting to draft far ahead of us for the last decade. Have we forgotten how hard it is to win a superbowl. How often teams competitive runs are so short lived Did we forget how much good fortune, a good bounce, a good call, and health play in ultimately deciding who hoists the trophy. Have we truly become the most spoiled fan base in the NFL? I'm not sure, but it would be hard to argue we're not.

You are not alone, what is even more remarkable is that we have "remade or reinvented" this team two or three times in the past 12 years, that is a standard that may be imitated, but not with the results of this team...

This team has essentially been rebuilt before us, and many do not notice...

Great job, Patfranken.

You also could have mentioned Jason Vega whom posters here will get to know as the season progresses.

Our feeling is that he is a back-up for Ninkovich. And it helps him with the fans to learn of his story, how he was born and raised in Brockton, went to play for Northeastern until the discontinued the program, etc. He went up to Canada to play.

Also, I have to disagree with you. I think the Steelers will indeed sign Sanders. It's a close call. We win either way, as they will pay more for him than they had expected.

He's a no. 3 receiver ready to make the jump to no. 2. This is a brilliant Belichick move.

We don't need a no. 1 receiver--we already have him with that tattooed fellow who plays tight end, Aaron Hernandez.

Don't Christians read the book of Leviticus?

7 hours, its better than New Years! :D

I don't think that it brilliant to give up a 3rd for a player who might be ready to move up to #2. We're giving up a 3rd for one year of service. Of course, the situation is different if the patriots have another contract ready to sign after PITT doesn't match. Personally, I don't see that happening. After all, the team and Sanders could have signed a long-term contract with the same cap charge.

He's a no. 3 receiver ready to make the jump to no. 2. This is a brilliant Belichick move.

I don't think that it brilliant to give up a 3rd for a player who might be ready to move up to #2. We're giving up a 3rd for one year of service. Of course, the situation is different if the patriots have another contract ready to sign after PITT doesn't match. Personally, I don't see that happening. After all, the team and Sanders could have signed a long-term contract with the same cap charge.

As a couple reporters pointed out, if the Pats signed Sanders to a long term deal and the Steelers match, he's locked up long term. If they sign him to a one year deal and they match, he's a free agent after the season and the Pats are in good position with him.

Let me be clear. Sanders isn't worth a 3rd round pick for one year of production. I'd rather draft a 3rd rounder. AND, I would still have the same chance at Sanders in 2014.

I'll all for bringing in 2 draftees and hopefully NOT NEED a new starting wide receiver next year.

As a couple reporters pointed out, if the Pats signed Sanders to a long term deal and the Steelers match, he's locked up long term. If they sign him to a one year deal and they match, he's a free agent after the season and the Pats are in good position with him.

On the surface, MG, the one year contract doesn't make a lot of sense, UNLESS there was some tacit agreement that the deal would eventually be extended. Trading that 3rd round pick for a one year rental DOESN'T make sense because there is a modicum of risk on the Pats part, beyond the cash. We don't know for a certainty that Sanders will continue to develop.

HOWEVER the one year deal DOES make sense in this respect. It makes it that much more difficult for the Steelers to match. A longer term deal, even at the same cap charge, would have made it easier to match. One of the problems, as I pointed out, was, even if the Steelers match, because its only a one year deal. They would be in the same boat with Sanders that they were with Wallace. If the Pats signed him to a long term deal say 3 years, it makes it easier to justify the extra million or so more they would be forced to pay this year.

If the Pats don't have that tacit agreement with Sanders now, it just adds to the risk factor, much like the Talib deal. Maybe the fact that the Pats got him a 100% raise with the chance to be a FA next year, a successful year playing with Tom Brady in a very dynamic offense, will create enough good will that Sanders will want to stay long term with us at a reasonable number. Maybe not. My bet is that sometime during training camp, a longer term deal will be announced. But that's just my speculation.

3. I just want to point out that it makes my head want to explode every time people want to throw out that the Pats only scored 13 points in the last playoff game and make it seem like if was because we had a serious flaw with our offense.

Yeah... no flaw......It's not like they blew up their entire WR corp or anything

Let me be clear. Sanders isn't worth a 3rd round pick for one year of production. I'd rather draft a 3rd rounder. AND, I would still have the same chance at Sanders in 2014.

I'll all for bringing in 2 draftees and hopefully NOT NEED a new starting wide receiver next year.

I think our chances at Sanders next season if the Steelers match has gone way up since we signed him to the offer sheet. We've offered him twice the amount he was set to be paid, plus he knows it would cost us a 3rd round pick. IMO that's something he'll remember if he's a free agent after the season.

Also, we may have an agreement with him to sign him long term after the Steelers decide not to match. If he plays for the Steelers this season, yes, he's available again next year. However, if he steps in for Mike Wallace and blows up this season, he gets that much more expensive, much like Welker would have been had he been a free agent after the 2007 season. That's where the loss of a 3rd round pick is worth it, if we get him long term before a possible spike in his prouction.

:)

If Sanders has a good year, he will look for a bigger paycheck than the patriots will be willing to pay. If Sanders has a bad year, we won't want him. Free agency is free agency. If his agent is willing to give the patriots a discount, he probably should be fired.

I think our chances at Sanders next season if the Steelers match has gone way up since we signed him to the offer sheet. We've offered him twice the amount he was set to be paid, plus he knows it would cost us a 3rd round pick. IMO that's something he'll remember if he's a free agent after the season.

Also, we may have an agreement with him to sign him long term after the Steelers decide not to match. If he plays for the Steelers this season, yes, he's available again next year. However, if he steps in for Mike Wallace and blows up this season, he gets that much more expensive, much like Welker would have been had he been a free agent after the 2007 season. That's where the loss of a 3rd round pick is worth it, if we get him long term before a possible spike in his prouction.

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer 23m

Steelers are open to extending Sanders now, having passed on NE's 3rd-rounder, though the cap situation will dictate how far they can go

10 chars...

Don't worry guys...jenkins and jones will fill in for when amendola and or edelman is hurt..we only need 3 WRs :D

Don't worry guys...jenkins and jones will fill in for when amendola and or edelman is hurt..we only need 3 WRs :D

Feels like 2006??

If the Patriots only hope for improving their wide receiving corps was
Sanders, then they should have offered him 5 million dollars. Common
sense was an extra 1 million wasn't enough.

Have you considered the possibility that the offer was contrived by the
NFL? The NFLPA can't claim that no players received an offer sheet.

Are you suggesting that one of the most well respected of all the owners made an offer that he knew would almost certainly be matched?

The "NFL" needn't be involved at all, just a good idea by one of the Kraft's.

If the Patriots only hope for improving their wide receiving corps was
Sanders, then they should have offered him 5 million dollars. Common
sense was an extra 1 million wasn't enough.

Have you considered the possibility that the offer was contrived by the
NFL? The NFLPA can't claim that no players received an offer sheet.

Feels like 2006??
No, not at all. Between the TE's, Amendola and the rest this crew is far better. Not even close. Why anyone would even attempt that comparison is beyond me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back