PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFT: Bill "has shopped" Mac

I like Jartavious Martin... Don't really like Steen as a Tackle... I wouldn't mind Dell in the 4th-5th round as long as a Beastlier WR would've already been drafted ahead of him; same with Bell but even later... I prefer Payne Durham to Mallory in the 5th because of the blocking ability Payne would provide, unlike Mallory or our own two guys... Not really considering any Edge Defenders with any of my top-100 picks; too many other needs.

The fact Mac had to go outside the organization in general should have been a reality check that the decision BB made was ridiculous.. BB likely felt that he couldn't change anything as the season wore on.

From reports judge was the primary problem, Patricia was just in over his head.

Yeah Patricia was in over his head. But Judge came off as a real @$$ hat

So how's the shopping of Mac going?

It's a matter of perspective.
Florio was hoping for more clicks when he threw it out as bait over at PFT, so over there not so great.
But here at PatsFans the 'shopping of Mac' is coming up on 1100 posts, so it's definitely keeping some of the kids off the streets.

Yeah Patricia was in over his head. But Judge came off as a real @$$ hat
Absolutely, this season all that transpir last year should be motivation enough for Mac and the offense to want to become great. Me personally I think we are going to surprise people this season.

Absolutely, this season all that transpir last year should be motivation enough for Mac and the offense to want to become great. Me personally I think we are going to surprise people this season.
@One-If-By-Sea

Reading the NESN clip stating Mac's back at Gillette with the offensive staff rebuilding the playbook is just what I wanted to hear! I think the notion he is going to traded can subside now..

The kid is hungry, agitated and focused on how it all went down last season. I can Absolutely sense a 30 plus touchdown season from him.

We will see if he is even on the team day 2 of the draft.
He will, from an organizational standpoint is asinine to trade him.. the team needs those season to be able to go forward.. they know they have a capable backup in zappe.. they say backup is one of the best jobs in NFL.

He will, from an organizational standpoint is asinine to trade him.. the team needs those season to be able to go forward.. they know they have a capable backup in zappe.. they say backup is one of the best jobs in NFL.
It is asinine to trade him if he is either in your long term plans or you aren't receiving what you think fair compensation for him is. If he isn't in your plans or if someone is willing to pay more than he is worth to you then it makes lots of sense to trade him. Guessing what the Patriots think at this point is really tough to say.

@One-If-By-Sea

Reading the NESN clip stating Mac's back at Gillette with the offensive staff rebuilding the playbook is just what I wanted to hear! I think the notion he is going to traded can subside now..

The kid is hungry, agitated and focused on how it all went down last season. I can Absolutely sense a 30 plus touchdown season from him.
Florio puts out a story that says he's been shopped. Another outlet puts out that he's in house, working hard, and helping rebuild the playbook.

Both could be true.

It's not a stretch for me to think that Bill took the market temperature thru his normal backchannels to see what the kid's worth is. Doesn't mean that Bill was going to trade him, per se, but wanted to know if he decided to shop him, what the value. To Lombardi's point, someone could have asked Bill "Hey, you wanna trade the kid?" Mac, reading and hearing all this, gets his azz down to Route 1 and gets to work.

Last edited:
One Florio puts out a story that says he's been shopped. Another outlet puts out that he's in house, working hard, and helping rebuild the playbook.

Both could be true.

It's not a stretch for me to think that Bill took the market temperature thru his normal backchannels to see what the kid's worth is. Doesn't mean that Bill was going to trade him, per se, but wanted to know if he decided to shop him, what the value. To Lombardi's point, someone could have asked Bill "Hey, you wanna trade the kid?" Mac, reading and hearing all this, gets his azz down to Route 1 and gets to work.

This is pretty much where I'm at after all this. In an offseason where Aaron Rodgers, Lamar Jackson, and (extremely long shot, but he still adds to the equation) Tom Brady are potentially moving, it makes sense that they had discussions about adding one of those QBs. In that scenario, you have to explore Mac's trade value in order to get the whole picture. For example, if you can trade Mac for a first (unlikely, but just as a hypothetical) , suddenly the two firsts for Jackson doesn't seem nearly as steep. Doesn't mean they were actively trying to get rid of Mac, OR that it ever really got close to happening. Just that in the face of All-Pro caliber QB's being available, they explored the possibility.

This is pretty much where I'm at after all this. In an offseason where Aaron Rodgers, Lamar Jackson, and (extremely long shot, but he still adds to the equation) Tom Brady are potentially moving, it makes sense that they had discussions about adding one of those QBs. In that scenario, you have to explore Mac's trade value in order to get the whole picture. For example, if you can trade Mac for a first (unlikely, but just as a hypothetical) , suddenly the two firsts for Jackson doesn't seem nearly as steep. Doesn't mean they were actively trying to get rid of Mac, OR that it ever really got close to happening. Just that in the face of All-Pro caliber QB's being available, they explored the possibility.
I don't disagree, other than giving up anything for a 39 year old Rodgers.

I don't disagree, other than giving up anything for a 39 year old Rodgers.

Oh personally I'm right there with you. But I have to imagine they at least made a quick phone call for diligence, even if that phone call was, "You want WHAT for Rodgers? Okay, have a great day..."

Last edited:
One Florio puts out a story that says he's been shopped. Another outlet puts out that he's in house, working hard, and helping rebuild the playbook.

Both could be true.

Whole heartedly agree! I believe both could definitely be true. However not likely hearing anything beneficial in return likely swayed the idea. Brady was even up for trade consideration at one point, is why I believe the florio report as well.

However he's still part of this team ,and the OTAs and team building and bonding can't come any sooner. I want Mac to play well and lead this team to victory.. I'm expecting him to also step up as a leader.

It is asinine to trade him if he is either in your long term plans or you aren't receiving what you think fair compensation for him is. If he isn't in your plans or if someone is willing to pay more than he is worth to you then it makes lots of sense to trade him. Guessing what the Patriots think at this point is really tough to say.
Well.. from a monetary standpoint and that is what owners at the end of the day care about... it's senseless to trade him.. ownership knows more than anyone last season did nothing to maximize Mac's growth.. your right hard to guess on what exactly the thinking is...

Well.. from a monetary standpoint and that is what owners at the end of the day care about... it's senseless to trade him.. ownership knows more than anyone last season did nothing to maximize Mac's growth.. your right hard to guess on what exactly the thinking is...
Well, this is looking at it from a fan stand point. The coaches see him practice every day. They have a much better idea of what he can do than we as fans do, and how he fits with their future plans. If they have decided he has peaked out and that celing isn't high enough to go forward for the team, why keep him. Get rid of him as soon as a reasonable offer comes in.

Well, this is looking at it from a fan stand point. The coaches see him practice every day. They have a much better idea of what he can do than we as fans do, and how he fits with their future plans. If they have decided he has peaked out and that celing isn't high enough to go forward for the team, why keep him. Get rid of him as soon as a reasonable offer comes in.
I almost had to chuckle when you said said coaches lol.. I'm assuming you're speaking of this current coaching staff BOBs staff.. not last seasons. But I'd agree yes the coaches, And RK is a hands on owner he interacts with the players and is present at practices they say.

So yes to your point if a reasonable offer came in then I would think BB would run it by ownership. As we know as fans a player can still make the roster and be traded.

This story making the light of day seems like it was intended to do- which is OK.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back