PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Peter King: Brady vs. Cassel first six games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, the comparison is totally fair, but the flood of screamers will arrive in this thread any second anyway.

The comparison is not fair - and I've been in support of Cassel since before the season started, but there's no way Cassel's first 6 starts can be compared to Brady, for a lot of reasons. Notably, the weapons surrounding them & the general passing first mentality that the NFL has.

Just based on memory, I can say unquestionably that Brady through his first 6 starts had garnered far more positive buzz than Cassel has. I mean absolutely no knock on Cassel, I'm just trying to convey that I can remember that people in this area latched onto Brady from pretty early on.

Talk to me in another couple months - but for now, I will dismiss any and all Cassel-Brady comparisons, because with all respect to Cassel and the admiral job he's done so far, I find such comparisons offensive to everything Brady has done for this organization. I fully get that people want to be positive about Cassel, I do as well - however, its easy to go overboard, ie, even hinting that Cassel is on any kind of path to duplicate Brady's heroics.

Last edited:
Just based on memory, I can say unquestionably that Brady through his first 6 starts had garnered far more positive buzz than Cassel has. I mean absolutely no knock on Cassel, I'm just trying to convey that I can remember that people in this area latched onto Brady from pretty early on.

That is true.

But I think that has a lot to do with Drew Bledsoe and the difference between 5-11 and going 16-0.

Once it was clear Brady was going to win 6 games on the season, it could be declared this season was going to be an improvement over the prior year.

After one lose this season it was clear we would not be as good as last year. If Chad Pennington and Matt Cassel have the same season. One will be considered a hero the other a bum. Why? because the season the team had before.

Brady had a positive buzz after 6 games cause he wasn't Bledsoe. Cassel lacks that cause he ain't Brady.

And still there were plenty who want to see Bledsoe return. Particularly after the Denver game.

Last edited:
Brady was in his second year and inherited a team that went 5-11 the year before and was heading towards a top 10 pick in the draft with Bledsoe. Cassel got his chance in his fourth season in a team that was 2 minutes away from a perfect record in 07. I don't really see how the comparison is fair.

BINGO! Can we please stop comparing the two seasons? It is just ridiculous to compare one position in two different years where the make up of the team is not the same (or the competition for that matter). The only thing you can compare is the end result. 2001? SB 2008?????

Last edited:
Brady had a positive buzz after 6 games cause he wasn't Bledsoe. Cassel lacks that cause he ain't Brady.

I was always a huge Bledsoe fan, so I was not one of the many Patriot fans that had a "love-hate" type relationship with #11. However, I do get what you're saying here and do remember this aspect of it...

Still doesn't change my feelings on the matter - its an insult to Brady at this point to compare Cassel to him without including a boatload of disclaimers.

In some ways, simply put, Cassel cannot do what Brady did - Brady turned around a franchise. Cassel is taking over for one of the greatest teams in history. For me, all comparisons begin, and end, with that important disclaimer.

Last edited:
I don't know if this makes me a screamer or not, but I think that the similar stats between Brady and Cassell at this point in the season is more an indictment of Cassel than a cause for hope. There are just so many reasons why Cassel should be able to put up significantly better numbers with this team than Brady could in '01.

The disparity in surrounding talent has already been commented on, but it really can't be said enough. This is pretty much the same offense as the '07 team, which IMO was the best ever assembled. The '01 offense had a porous line, an entirely mediocre stable or RBs, and Troy Brown as the only receiving option above replacement-level.

I also think people are greatly underestimating the amount of inflation we've seen in passing stats in the interceding years. Between the adjustment of rules to favor passing offense, the increasing use of high-percentage passes where teams used to rush, and various other tactical developments, what constitutes "good" numbers has changed. Brady's 86.1 passer rating in 2001 was good enough to rank him 6th in the league. In '07 (so we're comparing full seasons to full seasons) the same passer rating would have him ranked 15th. The 63.9 completion % that Brady had in '01 was good for 4th overall. In '07, it would have been 12th.

So basically, if you look at the numbers, but adjust for league averages and talent disparity, Cassell's performance is pretty underwhelming. Nevertheless, I am an inherently optimistic fan, and I've rationalized a few reasons for hope:

Brady entered the season far more under the radar and with much less pressure on him. The Pats entered '01 with low expectations, and lowered them even more after Drew went down. Furthermore, a large portion of the fans and media didn't even know that the skinny kid from Michigan had beaten out Huard for the backup spot to begin with.

Of even more significance, in my mind, is the fact that Brady was only a year removed from being a frequent starter on his college team. While the extra time in the system means Cassel should know the offense better, combined with his backup status at USC, it's been 9 years since he faced real game speed and pressure -- and even then, it was just high school ball. My hope is that the hesitancy, poor footwork under pressure, and slow decision-making is still a result of a whole lot of rust on Cassel, and that the game will start to slow down on him at some point later in the season.

And remember -- it often happens kind of suddenly for a QB. You can usually pinpoint a span of two or three games where a developing quarterback suddenly "gets it." So while the signs might not be that promising now, and may not change anytime soon, I'm going to keep up hope. I guess that's really all we can do.

In some ways, simply put, Cassel cannot do what Brady did - Brady turned around a franchise.

I think you're a bit premature in saying that Cassel can't turn around a franchise. :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft