Pertinent Notes - Interviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

dryheat44

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
From Reiss today:

Inside stuff
Linebacker is one of the Patriots' top needs, and the team will take a closer look at one possible addition today. The University of Miami's Jon Beason (6-0, 237 pounds) said he will sit down with Patriots officials as one of his 27 scheduled interviews.

Beason is entering the NFL draft after his junior season and is considered an early-round selection. He played outside linebacker in college but is projected as an inside linebacker in a 3-4 defense. Beason said he would relish the chance to play in New England -- "you can't go wrong, because you're going to be a contender every year" -- and believes he responds well to tough, detailed coaching.

"I like the technician, the guy who knows it and is good at getting it across to his players," he said.

California linebacker Desmond Bishop (6-1, 239 ) also said he's had discussions with the Patriots, tracing back to the East/West Shrine game. Bishop is projected as a mid- to late-round pick, and would play inside in the 3-4.

"One of the reasons I think I'd fit with the Patriots is their style of play, the discipline, the togetherness as a team," he said.

Notre Dame defensive end Victor Abiamiri said he's spoken with the Patriots about making the transition to outside linebacker in a 3-4 . . .

Name: Desmond Bishop
College: California Number: 10
Height: 6-2 Weight: 242
Position: ILB Pos2:
Class/Draft Year: Sr/2007
40 Time: 4.78 40 Low: 4.68 40 High: 4.92
Projected Round: 7-FA
Rated number 14 out of 91 ILB's 278/2340 TOTAL

Overview

Scouts continue to question Bishop's sideline-to-sideline speed, but his production is simply too consistent to ignore. Bishop struggled to find a team out of high school due to academics, but eventually signed on with San Francisco City College, where he started as a freshman in 2003 and was voted an All-American in 2004. In much the same fashion, Bishop transferred to Cal, started his first season there (earning 2nd Team Pac-10 honors) and was voted an All-American after this season.

Bishop, at 6-2, 240 pounds, is the classic run-stuffing inside linebacker. His production at Cal (and at SFCC previously) has been outstanding. The Pac-10's leader in tackles in 2006 (114), Bishop leaves Cal with 203 career stops in only two seasons. He also has 20 tackles for loss, 3.0 sacks and three interceptions to his credit during this time. He isn't viewed as athletic enough to fit every scheme, but as a two-down run stuffer in the middle, Bishop is among the draft's best.

Hey Tippett, I'd much rather read your OWN OPINIONS of these prospects, as you seem to have some degree of knowledge about the draft. But these profiles you've been posting may become a problem. Please think about this...

Hey Tippett, I'd much rather read your OWN OPINIONS of these prospects, as you seem to have some degree of knowledge about the draft. But these profiles you've been posting may become a problem. Please think about this...
Without a doubt, if Patrick Willis is available with the 24th overall selection, the Patriots will miss out on a golden opportunity to seriously upgrade the inside linebacker position. In my opinion, the Patriots will need to draft three inside linebackers in the 2007 NFL draft and the following could be one hypothetical draft projection with regard to the aforementioned defensive position:

1st Round (24th overall): Patrick Willis, ILB from Mississippi
5th Round (compensatory for David Givens): Zak DeOssie, ILB from Brown
6th Round (compensatory for Tom Ashworth): Anthony Waters, ILB from Clemson

Add Jarret Johnson, ILB/OLB from the Baltimore Ravens in free agency and the Patriots inside linebacker position would be seriously upgraded.

Last edited:
Without a doubt, if Patrick Willis is available with the 24th overall selection, the Patriots will miss out on a golden opportunity to seriously upgrade the inside linebacker position. In my opinion, the Patriots will need to draft three inside linebackers in the 2007 NFL draft and the following could be one hypothetical draft projection with regard to the aforementioned defensive position:

Add Jarret Johnson, ILB/OLB from the Baltimore Ravens in free agency and the Patriots inside linebacker position would be seriously upgraded.

How do you figure that Givens only gets the Pats a 5th round compensatory pick when his contract was 4.875 mill per year?

You know, there are precious few college LBs with the measurables to play OLB in an NFL 3-4. Looking at DeOssie standing 6' 4" 245 and running a 4.6, with good production, character and work ethic, that's the kind of player who rises fast. Yes, he's coming from a low level of competition, but most of the other OLB candidates have plenty of learning ahead too because they've never had to play in space.

I'm going out on a tiny limb here and saying that with a strong combine DeOssie goes on the first day of the draft.

You know, there are precious few college LBs with the measurables to play OLB in an NFL 3-4. Looking at DeOssie standing 6' 4" 245 and running a 4.6, with good production, character and work ethic, that's the kind of player who rises fast. Yes, he's coming from a low level of competition, but most of the other OLB candidates have plenty of learning ahead too because they've never had to play in space.

I'm going out on a tiny limb here and saying that with a strong combine DeOssie goes on the first day of the draft.

That could happen. I can remember that pre-combine 2 years ago that Lofa Tatupa was being talked about as a 5th round pick and he was taken in the 2nd round.

Personally, I don't see Deossie going earlier than the 4th round, but stranger things have happened.

Two more interviews: Sabby Piscitelli, Fred Bennett

id rather them add one or two ilbs and one olb
to go along with that one vet at each position as well

Zak DE Ossie has had a spectacular combine. He could jump into the second round with the combo of speed, size, and athletic smoothness that he displayed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST