PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Perception is everything

Status
Not open for further replies.
peppers can say the same about many teams......the pats have fallen back to the rest of the pack as a place players want to come to win.

who was the last guy who came here for less $$ to win a ring?

and you are simply ridiculous to think that money can't be a factor.....it is always a factor.

there are lots of places peppers or boldin can go.......boldin can go to the jets for starters......boldin can go to the ravens, broncos, giants, cowboys, packers.......lots of good teams could help themselves the same way as the pats

peppers can go to the broncos, chargers, packers, giants, eagles

at this point, it is just as valid to say players would not want to come here because of the cold........the pats now offer nothing that a players can't get on alot of teams........if the packers give me a $41 million deal and the pats give me a $40 million deal, why would I not go to the packers?

Seau has kept returning here because he knows this is still a place that will see another title.

Moss chose us over the Eagles as a place to get his ring.

Bodden chose to take his one year prove it deal here because it gave him a chance to win.

Fred Taylor.

I am sure someone this offseason will.

onto to the teams (ravens, broncos, giants, cowboys, packers, chargers, eagles) they all give you a chance to win and anyone of them could make that step but I still think Brady and BB offer a better chance. I think the teams mentioned all have as many flaws if not much more than the pats and dont have the track record. People get caught up in the its been 5 years since we won but we were in the SB just 2 years ago only one of the teams mentioned can say that. Two of the teams mentioned have serious flaws at QB and two at coaching. Look Take two from that list and add the Pats Colts and Saints and you got the top 5 destinations in the league.

We weren't a dynasty nor expected to win when Rodney came here. What were the offers he declined to come here?

Who was the second?

fact is that harrison was in here at a below market deal for a pro-bowl caliber SS.....spin it what way you like, but you're helping make my point

corey dillon agreed to redo his deal to get traded here

Rodney has often said that that FA period was very slow for him. I don't know if he got any other offers.

I believe he was supposed to get on a plane to go to denver after meeting with the pats, but the he never left......same situation comes up today, the player gets on the plane

another reality is the coaching staff.......its easier to convince players to come here when the player goes to through a succession of interviews that would include BB, crennel or weis, scarneechia, and when guys like mcdaniel and mangini were wandering around suckin up to everyone
now you have BB sitting in front of the player saying 'well, you either want to play here or you don't'

I believe he was supposed to get on a plane to go to denver after meeting with the pats, but the he never left......same situation comes up today, the player gets on the plane

In RHs words in March of 2003.

SI.com - SI Writers - Peter King - Monday Morning QB - Peter King: The Coles truth - Monday March 17, 2003 12:31 PM

In 2002, RH was 30 and coming off an injury plagued season. The Chargers made a financial decision. It wasn't like he was was coming off an all-pro season anyway.

Does RH get on a plane now? Maybe. Does he still talk to the Pats? Why would he not?

BTW a 6yr $14m w/ $2.5m bonus and $3.1m made the 1st year of the deal is not bad coin. Over the first 3 years of the package, he earned $8m including more cash after 2004 for good play. Not that shabby for a 30 yr old SS coming off an injury.

Last edited:

And if the same situation happened then, 9 out of 10 times the guy gets on the plane. Talk about looking at the past with rose colored glasses.

another reality is the coaching staff.......its easier to convince players to come here when the player goes to through a succession of interviews that would include BB, crennel or weis, scarneechia, and when guys like mcdaniel and mangini were wandering around suckin up to everyone
now you have BB sitting in front of the player saying 'well, you either want to play here or you don't'

Oh really? Since you put it in quotation marks, I presume you were there to hear it. Pray tell, what else does BB say in these meetings? And what was the order of the meetings with coaches back in the day? You sure do have alot of inside information, it's great to have you here to share it with us.

Oh really? Since you put it in quotation marks, I presume you were there to hear it. Pray tell, what else does BB say in these meetings? And what was the order of the meetings with coaches back in the day? You sure do have alot of inside information, it's great to have you here to share it with us.

nice rant, but a little lacking in substance

bottom line, the pats are a different beast for FA's now....simple as that

And if the same situation happened then, 9 out of 10 times the guy gets on the plane. Talk about looking at the past with rose colored glasses.

the pats were 3 for 3 with FA's they brought in that year (poole and colvin, also)

there's been no better haul since

better than looking through glasses with thumbprints all over them

Last edited:
nice rant, but a little lacking in substance

bottom line, the pats are a different beast for FA's now....simple as that

If by "substance" you mean pretending to have any idea what has ever gone on at any FA meeting in the past or present, then you're right.

If by "substance" you mean pretending to have any idea what has ever gone on at any FA meeting in the past or present, then you're right.

neener....neener.... I know you are, but what am I?

you're just as clueless and stupid regarding the pats issues as I am

the pats were 3 for 3 with FA's they brought in that year (poole and colvin, also)

there's been no better haul since

better than looking through glasses with thumbprints all over them

You mean the year after they missed the playoffs and were supposedly one-year wonders a year prior to that? Yeah, the team had alot of cache that year.

And it's interesting that all of those guys would take below market deals to come to Pats that year and didn't sign primarily for money. Do you have the details of the higher counter-offers they received from other teams?

neener....neener.... I know you are, but what am I?

you're just as clueless and stupid regarding the pats issues as I am

Right, but I'm not the one pretending to know how it went then or saying what BB tells FA recruits now.

You mean the year after they missed the playoffs and were supposedly one-year wonders a year prior to that? Yeah, the team had alot of cache that year.

And it's interesting that all of those guys would take below market deals to come to Pats that year and didn't sign primarily for money. Do you have the details of the higher counter-offers they received from other teams?

refute my claim first and then I will prove it to you..........

in case you don't remember, the pats problems in 2002 (last against the run, last in defensive 3rd down percentage) were very clear as the players they brought in served perfectly to fix them (washington, harrison, poole)

refute my claim first and then I will prove it to you..........

in case you don't remember, the pats problems in 2002 (last against the run, last in defensive 3rd down percentage) were very clear as the players they brought in served perfectly to fix them (washington, harrison, poole)

LOL, like a dozen teams couldn't do the same.

well.....that's what you get when you take figurative speech literally......carry on

Figurative speech, complete bullsh!t used to try to make prove an unprovable point... tomato, tomato. (That would have worked better aloud.)

I'm done. You're some great poster.

Snarf-

My problem with your assertion (and any general idea that the Pats don't pay their "still productive" vets) is that using your logic several top teams would today be squarely in your doghouse.

Pitt - chops heart and soul dude Parker
SD - whacks HOF Tomlinson
Philly- kicks out one-time all everything back Westbrook after injury/head issues
New Orleans - lets defensive centerpiece Sharper walk after he was key to them winning SB

The list goes on...

Where is the outroar over the cheapness of these other teams? You really think Philly's not going to get any FA's because they cut league favorite Westbrook? Or that SD is going to slide into the Pacific since it whacked a HOF'er at age 31? Or that no one will play with Big Ben because the Steelers hurt Parker's feelings??

So at last I have to say - What perception?

Snarf-

My problem with your assertion (and any general idea that the Pats don't pay their "still productive" vets) is that using your logic several top teams would today be squarely in your doghouse.

Pitt - chops heart and soul dude Parker
SD - whacks HOF Tomlinson
Philly- kicks out one-time all everything back Westbrook after injury/head issues
New Orleans - lets defensive centerpiece Sharper walk after he was key to them winning SB

The list goes on...

Where is the outroar over the cheapness of these other teams? You really think Philly's not going to get any FA's because they cut league favorite Westbrook? Or that SD is going to slide into the Pacific since it whacked a HOF'er at age 31? Or that no one will play with Big Ben because the Steelers hurt Parker's feelings??

So at last I have to say - What perception?

From reading Peter King's low-down of how the LT-SD split was managed, I don't think you would find a better way of handling the situation. LT meets with Spanos first, then Smith and finally Norv- no leakage and no embarrassing trade offers. Not sure if they asked him if he was retiring but I'm sure if he had said yes, they'd work out a presser and an "LT Day".

Kinda sounds like a send-off for a certain #54.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes