PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pays to Stay? Ochocinco and New England Talk Contract

Status
Not open for further replies.
It might actually make more sense for Johnson to refuse. If he's not sure he can get in tune with Brady, he'll be worried about having a job. Getting the axe now would allow him to hit the market while teams still have money to spend.

What I don't understand is what he's done to deserve the type of vitriol he gets from people like you.

Ocho has done nothing.

Thats the point!

I also think that he can connect with brady better than we have seen. there was too much productivity from the like os kitna, frerotte, palmer throwing to him to just assume it can't work here
Really?

So what happens if Loyd, Jackson or Wayne come here? Add, Hern, Gronk, Welker and maybe Branch, Cinco wont even dress.

Cinco is a waste of a roster spot.

He can take his clown act down the road.

Everything you say makes sense. I guess I'd spin it a little differently.

I think that a guy who's contributed to the league's brand and, let's face it, to the rarely seen "fun" side of the NFL and who has been a very good player under another system (as in, "Run down field and I'll throw it to you" vs. "Run precisely 14.552 yards down field, pause for a beat and then either cut across the middle or keep running down field depending on where the Safety is playing") deserves a chance to "save face" as he exits an organization like the Pats.

And, if he's willing to play for a little above scale plus incentives, I'd still keep him...at that level, all we need from him is one big game-changer in one big game. Otherwise, I can't disagree with you on the substance.

Then let the league take up a collection and pay him. Oh wait, they did. He got his full share playoff money all the way to the superbowl...a first for him.

I for one have never appreciated his antics, particularly when he donned the HOF jacket and then there was that time he punched out Hue Jackson during halftime... Chad has been well paid for his empty statistical accomplishments. Just ask Marvin Lewis. He's been overpaid for his time in NE by about $5M. Enough already.

Ocho has done nothing.

Thats the point!

So you think that justifies calling him a "twitterholic Hollywood POS," among other things?

It's unfortunate he didn't work out last year, but I'm not sure why that's supposed to engender ill will. Especially in light of the praise he's gotten from the team and the fact he's been, by all accounts, a model teammate.

Then let the league take up a collection and pay him. Oh wait, they did. He got his full share playoff money all the way to the superbowl...a first for him.

I for one have never appreciated his antics, particularly when he donned the HOF jacket and then there was that time he punched out Hue Jackson during halftime... Chad has been well paid for his empty statistical accomplishments. Just ask Marvin Lewis. He's been overpaid for his time in NE by about $5M. Enough already.

you make no sense

I really like Chad but not as a Patriot any longer unless he somehow can show improvement on the field. He was one of the past season's most frustrating mysteries.

I really like Chad but not as a Patriot any longer unless he somehow can show improvement on the field. He was one of the past season's most frustrating mysteries.

actually, drafting dowling instead of brooks reed was worse

So you think that justifies calling him a "twitterholic Hollywood POS," among other things?

It's unfortunate he didn't work out last year, but I'm not sure why that's supposed to engender ill will. Especially in light of the praise he's gotten from the team and the fact he's been, by all accounts, a model teammate.

Moss was praised too....and no offense, but paying someone to be a "model" teammate? I think Kevin Fauilk filled that role quite well this past season and he was also able to impart some wisdom onto his teammates. Chad imparted Starbucks lemon loaf. Buh-bye, Chad. Please say buh-bye.

Last edited:
Mo, could you pull up the comments by that you mentioned in your first post by Bedard, because I never saw it.

I don't get the hate. The because there was no off season, and a decade of playing in a completely different system, OCHO didn't "get" the Pats complex offense for most of the season. That was clear to everyone. Then when he got on the field he was always the 4th or 5th option. There are numerous reports that by the end of the season, he HAD "gotten" the offense, but by then he was still just Brady's 4th or 5th option. No one is saying that his season here wasn't disappointing.

Still what is the harm in getting him to lower his cap rate and compete with Branch for the #2 WR position (assuming Welker is back). Brady may love Branch, but the fact of the matter is that he can completely disappear when faced with the physical press coverage that the Pats are seeing a lot of these days. Let him compete with Ocho for the position through at least the OTA's. By then the Pats would have a good indication where each player is as far as their physical skills and if Ocho "gets" the offense. Then you can make a decision.

The fact BB is willing to offer him a contact of any kind should be a good indication that at least BB doesn't think he's totally lost his physical skills. Lets not forget that the guy many want to just unceremoniously dump, has had SEVEN seasons catching over 1,000 yds. That's 7 times more than Dieon Branch

No one is saying to guarantee him a roster spot, but it would just be poor roster management to just dump him without letting him compete for a job,

Last edited:

What's spent is spent and the money is sunk cost. If they can get him cheap for another year, I'd keep him and you wouldn't; that's where we disagree and your point is reasonable, as I said above.

"punching out" is a bad thing. It happened. On balance, I liked his act. That's about it for me.

Last edited:
What I don't understand is what he's done to deserve the type of vitriol he gets from people like you.

Doesn't belong in the NFL anymore,washed up but trying to hang onto a team to steal a ring while contributing about the same as Doug Gabriel in terms of production (yes,Doug Gabriel had more yards and more TDs in 2006 but no one wanted him back either)....he hasn't even been that good a few years before he left Cincy,his train has passed the station.

Tiquan fu(king Underwood was able to leap frog Ocho and learn the system faster and some of you want Stinko back for another 300 yard season?

You have to be fu(king kidding me.

If you want an entertaining player and a funny guy on the team then sign Bozo from Ringling Bros. to a 1 year contract.

Some players don't know when its time to go,they just don't have it anymore.

Last edited:
Doesn't belong in the NFL anymore,washed up but trying to hang onto a team to steal a ring while contributing about the same as Doug Gabriel in terms of production ....he hasn't even been that good a few years before he left Cincy,his train has passed the station.

Tiquan fu(king Underwood was able to leap frog Ocho and learn the system faster and some of you want Stinko back for another 300 yard season?

If you want an entertaining player and a funny guy on the team then sign Bozo from Ringling Bros. to a 1 year contract.

I don't know what any of this has to do with the point I was making.

I don't know what any of this has to do with the point I was making.

I know what you are saying,but my rant is that he is wasting a roster spot and can't believe the team wants him back,its frustrating...I would keep Underwood before Ocho.

I think all of us fans at one time or another had seen a player on the team that you didn't think should be here any longer and couldn't understand why he remained on the roster....Ocho is my wonder.

Doesn't belong in the NFL anymore,washed up but trying to hang onto a team to steal a ring while contributing about the same as Doug Gabriel in terms of production (yes,Doug Gabriel had more yards and more TDs in 2006 but no one wanted him back either)....he hasn't even been that good a few years before he left Cincy,his train has passed the station.

All this invective, yet BB has chosen to offer him another contract. Clearly you know more than he. I tip my cap to you. :rolleyes:

I don't get it either. Chad's one of my favorites and I was holding out hope for him until the final drive of sb46 to contribute something here, but seriously what's the point. Even if he were to play for free, what's he doing besides taking up a roster spot.

Ocho should be done in New England. His skills are not what they were and in a full season he couldn't learn the system. In his 19th game (the SuperBowl) he still had to be told where to line up on a play.

Only reason to keep him around is to have a warm body for Brady to throw to in minicamps depending on the Welker/Branch/FA/draft situation. If he hasn't shown by training camp that he knows the system and still can beat coverage then he should be cut.

The because there was no off season, and a decade of playing in a completely different system, OCHO didn't "get" the Pats complex offense for most of the season. That was clear to everyone. Then when he got on the field he was always the 4th or 5th option. There are numerous reports that by the end of the season, he HAD "gotten" the offense, but by then he was still just Brady's 4th or 5th option.

The Blues Brothers - Jake's Excuses - YouTube

I seriously think taking snaps away from some eager free agent who might study and learn the system is reason enough to end this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back