PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pays to Stay? Ochocinco and New England Talk Contract

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know what you are saying,but my rant is that he is wasting a roster spot and can't believe the team wants him back,its frustrating...I would keep Underwood before Ocho.

I think all of us fans at one time or another had seen a player on the team that you didn't think should be here any longer and couldn't understand why he remained on the roster....Ocho is my wonder.

wasting a roster spot? like ron brace? or jermaine cunningham? or ben vereen? or dowling?

he was on the roser because there was nobody to beat him out.....and there still isn't anyone

Things lost by keeping Johnson around:

Money
Cap space
Roster spot

the same can be said for many players that the pats also wasted 2nd round draft picks on.....

That's correct- there is nothing to gain, cap-wise if Ocho were cut at this point. I believe the cut-off point for him will be at the end of training camp, after he's had the benefit of a full off-season, and every opportunity to show that he is capable of "getting it."

I think he has to be on the roster for the week 1 game to be guaranteed his contract for the year

Our offense is maybe a little more complex than other teams but some in here make it sound like its rocket science that takes 2 seasons for a 10 year vet to learn. :rolleyes:

Didn't Randy Moss and Wes Welker come here and immediately make a big impact?.....was our offense so much easier in 2007 to learn than it is now or is this B.S. excuses for a has been washed up receiver that is soooooo lovable and funny??? :rolleyes:

You know what's so bad about Ocho's situation...an injured ineffective Gronk played more snaps than a healthy Ocho in the SB. I mean Gronk who was basically a decoy at best. The Pats had two weeks to prepare and knew that Gronk was going to be useless and Ocho still didn't get it...come on Ocho backers its time to move on.

I think he has to be on the roster for the week 1 game to be guaranteed his contract for the year

I hope that's the case and he'll be gone before our First Preseason game...Ocho don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shouldda bitt ya!

Last edited:
wasting a roster spot? like ron brace? or jermaine cunningham? or ben vereen? or dowling?

he was on the roser because there was nobody to beat him out.....and there still isn't anyone

BillB took a chance on Ocho, and bombed!

You compare him with, rookies? Wrong. Brace is cheap. Jermaine (hurt) is cheap. Vereen (hurt) is cheap. Dowling (hurt) is cheap.

The SUM of all these rookies, does not even equal the 7.5million BillB gave to Ocho in 2011.

Ocho got 1 year, to learn. Failed. Move on. BillB is stupid, if he keeps Ocho...

Haha, classic. But I've been saying that for awhile now. Vereen is another wasted pick. The second round woes continue - Dowling, Vereen.. not looking good.

the same can be said for many players that the pats also wasted 2nd round draft picks on.....

Big difference is, "rookies" vs. "veteran". Plus 7.5m given to Ocho is nothing to sneeze at.

You know what's so bad about Ocho's situation...an injured ineffective Gronk played more snaps than a healthy Ocho in the SB. I mean Gronk who was basically a decoy at best. The Pats had two weeks to prepare and knew that Gronk was going to be useless and Ocho still didn't get it...come on Ocho backers its time to move on.

Like most older receivers,obviously the older they get,the less seperation they have on the corner covering them on a regular basis.

The main time that guys like this get open at this point in their career is when the corner is lousy,runs the wrong route,too slow or slips.

Ocho does not have the speed like he used to to gain seperation thus becomes a non factor,it has lesser to do with learning the freaking playbook...thats a copout that only morons believe.

Reggie Wayne IMO still has the type of speed this team can use in an older vet.....and would be a better fit,he is also a very smart player,low key and not a prima donna like OchoSucko.

Last edited:
Its just my luck that Cinco will agree to restructure and be on the 53 to start next season.

Haha, classic. But I've been saying that for awhile now. Vereen is another wasted pick. The second round woes continue - Dowling, Vereen.. not looking good.

Vereen was injured a part of last year,that will slow down the development of a RB and I give him another chance to prove himself this year before declaring him a bust...Dowling is in the same boat and an injury away from being labeled a glassman.

I have given up on Richie Cunningham ..... yes I said Richie and not Jermaine because there will be no 'Happy Days' when he gets cut in camp.

Nothing that happened in 2011 is relevant now...if BB thinks Ochocinco, who never had an offseason, can contribute next season at a reduced salary, then he should be back.

Despite what some people say, his problem this season was never getting open. He was open plenty of the time. It was knowing where exactly to be on the field based on the coverages being played, and being no greater then the fourth option on most plays anyway. And aren't we looking for receivers who can get open deep and beat press man coverage?

If he doesn't get it by the time preseason is over, then he's gone. This is a low-cost, low-risk move.

Pays to Stay? Ochocinco and New England Talk Contract *Update*

By: Derek Havens

The New England Patriots and Chad Ochocinco experiment did not go as planned in the 2011 NFL season and according to a report by Liz Mullen of the Sports Business Journal, Ochocinco has been asked to restructure his contract. ...

Re: Pays to Stay? Ochocinco and New England Talk Contract *Update*

By: Derek Havens

The New England Patriots and Chad Ochocinco experiment did not go as planned in the 2011 NFL season and according to a report by Liz Mullen of the Sports Business Journal, Ochocinco has been asked to restructure his contract. ...

His Gold Digger Antoinne Walker reject wife might file Divorce papers now. He might be now out of her league financially.:D

well thank god they're restructuring his contract because he did not live up to it at all. If im ready what reiss wrote correctly than it seems that after they restructure, if they still release him than whatever dead money is there would be less than with his original contract and it could be split up over time as opposed to it having an effect on the 2012 salary cap. These is my forecast. Ochocinco accepts new contract. They dont re sign branch. Work out Welker's contract. and sign a FA wideout----> Which one? Take your pick from Meachem, Colston, Vjax, or who knows maybe even lloyd. God i hope they dont sign hines ward because apparently he's done in Steeler country.

Hines Ward To Be Released By Pittsburgh Steelers - SB Nation Pittsburgh

Gronk, Vollmer, Spikes and Chung say hello.

Classic overreaction from the forum's Debbie Downer. One season is way, way, way too soon to make a determination on any player, regardless of how good, how bad, or how injury filled that year was - and that's before taking into consideration the effect of the lockout on rookies. If you were older I'm sure you would have been declaring future hall of famers like OJ Simpson, Terry Bradshaw and Steve Young complete busts in September of their first NFL seasons too.

This type of thinking is a big part of why fans of the rest of the NFL's teams consider Pats fans to be spoiled and arrogant band wagoners. Spoiled, because they don't have any idea of what poor performance - whether it be on the field or in the draft - really is. Arrogant, because they think everything the team does is supposed to work out perfectly, even though there's only about a 50% chance of an NFL draftee lasting until his rookie contract expires. And band wagoners, because if they were fans of the team prior to 2001 they would know better.

Gronk, Vollmer, Spikes and Chung say hello.

Classic overreaction from the forum's Debbie Downer. One season is way, way, way too soon to make a determination on any player, regardless of how good, how bad, or how injury filled that year was - and that's before taking into consideration the effect of the lockout on rookies. If you were older I'm sure you would have been declaring future hall of famers like OJ Simpson, Terry Bradshaw and Steve Young complete busts in September of their first NFL seasons too..

I have to agree with you. I can't wait to see what happens with dowling and vereen. Looking at the film on these guys, all i can say is that it looks promising. busts? hopefully not but yea they didn't have much of an offseason to really prepare. Dowling got injured but he seems like he can't wait to get on the field. lets see what these young'ns can do.

If his cap hit is reduced to $3M it will only be $200K more than it was last season when he produced nothing and still be $600K more than the cap hit for Branch last season, or $1.2M more than Benny's and like quadruple Woodheads. More than Anderson and Carter combined...

This is supposed to be a meritocracy...

Yet for some reason people - possibly including in the FO - seem to be struggling with the concept of paying Welker market money for 3-4 years??

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes