PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pays to Stay? Ochocinco and New England Talk Contract

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to agree with you sir. Good post.
I don't think last year was all his fault. Show me where BB or TB said he does not know the play book for all the haters. He was open many times by years end. Yes he was the third or fourth option. Might have been out best blocking WR.

Gronk and Hernandez were preferred with Welker by TB and who can blame him. TB has a tendency to look at favorites. We all saw that with Moss, open or not. I don't know where "He throws to who is open" came from.....not really. He had at least two other open options in the SB on the INT besides a gimpy Gronk. Yet he lazered in on him. Can't fault a guy like TB though for all the positives.

Also heard for Zolack if he is cut his dead money CAP is higher than if they can get him to restructure. This may be financial to some degree.
DW Toys

Likw Tom or Bill would ever acknowledge that publicly. What they did say was he is trying and he is doing everything we ask him to... Only on game day that translated into Hernandez and others having to reposition him and then just increasingly benching him because what was the point.

And Tom does throw to the open guy...when he's open where he's supposed to be based on the post snap read of the coverage...

Things lost by keeping Johnson around:

Money
Cap space
Roster spot

False. If they cut him now rather than wait til June ( I think?) the cap hit is a little over 3 million. If they wait til summer, they can prorate the cap hit over 2012 and 2013.

It makes no sense not to look into restructuring his deal to let him compete in camp. THEN cut him if need be. But it's hurting NO ONE to keep around right now.

It's hilarious and pathetic that some of you fail to recognize this.

What good does it do the New England Patriots to cut him right now? I bet you can't list any legitimate reasons. No one is saying he needs to be guaranteed a spot on the opening day roster, but with the cap situation, it makes sense to restructure his deal and let him compete with a year under his belt.

This whole thread is hilarious with the ignorance dripping from it.

Disagree ....if you are a good player and get the O....there is ALWAYS a place for you on the football field.

Hard to believe they dont bring branch back. i know everyone wants to put him out to pasture, but hes got great chemistry with Brady and that goes a long way, even though branch has declining skills, his intelligence on the field shows up when the pats need it most, he is an asset, nothing more, nothing less.

As for Ochocinco, he really got a bad rap last year, what people dont understand about him is that he didn't really have a place on the field, with 2 TEs on the field permanently and usually a runningback in as well it only leaves room for 2 WRs, one of whom, Welker is never coming off the field, which means OC had to beat out branch, a guy who would always managed to get open when the patriots had to have it.

Going into next year, whoever they bring in here will have to beat out branch. im not saying that is impossible to do or anything, but Belichick has shown again and again that when it comes down to talent or intelligence on the field, he will chose the later, so for example, if the patriots bring Brandon Lloyd in here and he doesn't understand or execute his job, branch will beat him out as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would be shocked to see ocho here next year....maybe BB is just trying yo take care of the guy so another team can pick him up after we cut his *****!

Yes, even though I expected him to be cut and somewhat wished it, if you can have him signed with the same cap hit as releasing him, why not? At least until decisions are made on Welker, Branch, and the draft.

Then if he can't win time in camp, so long.

I don't expect any improvement, but I suppose it's a low risk option.

EXACTLY! This is what so many people in this thread are failing to recognize. It makes ZERO sense to cut him now if you can restructure his deal and keep him at the same cap hit. People saying he shouldn't be around simply because of his cap hit are either misinformed or not informed at all. And the people who are *****ing and moaning about Ocho without being informed at all, I feel sorry for them.

The team doesn't get better or get put in a better situation by cutting him now. So that's why they haven't. End of story.

Omg....NO!!!!.....You did not just say that you wanted to bring Hines "Pats Hater" Ward in here.....besides being one of the most hated enemies of we Pats fans....but also he has no rubber left on those tires and is riding on the rims!....seriously he should retire!.....I respect your opinion though PatsfanPA..

Nothing wrong with me

I just expect a player ON THE ROSTER to perform more adequately than 300 yards when getting $6 Million dollars on a 2 year deal,Players with Vet minimum have done better.

He practically stole $3 Million for virtually nothing on the field and almost received a ring that he certainly would not have deserved ......and you wonder why fans like me wish he went back to Dancing With The Stars,back on his little talk show with T.O. and spending full time elsewhere.

If 19 weeks of being with a team,being a former all pro veteran and you still can't figure out what the hell the offense is when a WTF JAG like Underwood figured it out enough to get more playing time,I don't know what you can say positive about his worthiness going into 2012.

If Chad was a NY Jet, guys like you would be mocking them for making a boneheaded decision to sign him and if you deny it,I call you out as a liar.

Hines Ward and Reggie Wayne could not be any worse on this team if one or both join the team in camp this summer.

Last edited by a moderator:
False. If they cut him now rather than wait til June ( I think?) the cap hit is a little over 3 million. If they wait til summer, they can prorate the cap hit over 2012 and 2013.

It makes no sense not to look into restructuring his deal to let him compete in camp. THEN cut him if need be. But it's hurting NO ONE to keep around right now.

It's hilarious and pathetic that some of you fail to recognize this.

What good does it do the New England Patriots to cut him right now? I bet you can't list any legitimate reasons. No one is saying he needs to be guaranteed a spot on the opening day roster, but with the cap situation, it makes sense to restructure his deal and let him compete with a year under his belt.

This whole thread is hilarious with the ignorance dripping from it.

What I posted was accurate. That being the case, your response was foolish.

Chad Johnson for possibly another year?

PleaseMakeItStop-749714.jpg

As far as I can tell, he's due to make $3MM this year under his restructured contract (correct me if I'm wrong on that). That's rich for a guy with his performance last year but probably not for a guy with his potential.

IMO, the Pats have to look at that and decide how much, if any, of it he is worth to them, probably with some incentives, and then either cut him or make him an offer.

At that point, if the Pats offered him a watered-down deal,the question for 85 would be whether he thinks he'd be worth more in another scheme.

I kind of like him and hope he stays, but, as they say, it's a business.

IMO, Ocho is worth the vet minimum and inventives. He wouldn't be hard to replace next season.

Nope. False.

Whether you care to admit it or not, any signed player costs money, cap space and a roster spot. The only time there's an exception is when the league grants a temporary roster exemption. Therefore, me pointing out that Johnson is costing money, cap space and a roster spot is not false.

Now, you can rant and rave if you feel you must, but I'm not going to argue about something this obvious.

Last edited:
Deus, didn't you say that keeping him around (presumably instead of cutting him) would cost cap space?

According to the Reiss article, if he restructures, then this is not necessarily true, at least with respect to cap space for next year.

Big difference is, "rookies" vs. "veteran". Plus 7.5m given to Ocho is nothing to sneeze at.

Umm.....no.....drafting brace prevented the drafting of barwin ... And don't forget the already departed butler. Drafting dowling prevented th drafting of brooks reed. The drafting of vereen could have been demarco Murray.

FA s are a dime a dozen. Draft picks are what makes the winner

Deus, didn't you say that keeping him around (presumably instead of cutting him) would cost cap space?

According to the Reiss article, if he restructures, then this is not necessarily true, at least with respect to cap space for next year.

That's not what Reiss said:

So perhaps the compromise, if Ochocinco is willing, is to reduce his cap charge to $3 million for 2012. The way to do that is to have him reduce his base salary from $3 million to $1.5 million for 2012.

If Ochocinco did that, the Patriots could ask the question: Are we a better team with Ochocinco on the club at a $3 million cap charge, or a better team without him but still with the $3 million cap charge (that could be spread over two years)?

There's still a cap charge.

Whether you care to admit it or not, any signed player costs money, cap space and a roster spot. The only time there's an exception is when the league grants a temporary roster exemption. Therefore, me pointing out that Johnson is costing money, cap space and a roster spot is not false.

Now, you can rant and rave if you feel you must, but I'm not going to argue about something this obvious.

Again, what you are saying is false. It would be nice if you actually knew what you were talking about, but after seeing more and more of your posts and how you portray yourself as being this genius who looks down on everyone with your pathetic attitude, I couldn't bite my tongue any longer.

If the Patriots release 85, THEY HAVE A CAP HIT of over 3 million. They can restructure his deal and have the same cap hit if they kept him. So to spell it out for you in language you MIGHT understand, the same cap hit would be applied whether they release him right now now or keep him. It's financially beneficial to the team to attempt to redo his deal rather than flat out release him right now. Do you follow, or is still that over your head?

That's exactly what he said. And now after being proved wrong and thinking twice about how dumb he sounded, he will begin to backtrack. I've come to notice this is how he operates so it's to be expected.

There's still a cap charge.

There's a cap charge no matter what. You really don't get it. If they release him right now like you're claiming they should do bc he "takes up cap space", guess what? He'll give the Pats the same cap hit on their cap space.

Hilarious.

I bet Ocho would love to end his career playing for Belichick. I'm sure he would like to redeem himself in 2012 after such a lackluster season in 2011. For a paycut, let him compete for a roster spot. I'd take him back in 2012 over Randy Moss who some of you actually want the Pats to give another shot.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I bet Ocho would love to end his career playing for Belichick. I'm sure he would like to redeem himself in 2012 after such a lackluster season in 2011. For a paycut, let him compete for a roster spot. I'd take him back in 2012 over Randy Moss who some of you actually want the Pats to give another shot.:rolleyes:

I will gladly donate $5 for the "Ochostinko 2012 Learn the Playbook Fund" if that helps him recoup his paycut he is about to get.

How to Memorize Your Football Playbook - YouTube

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back