PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PatsCast Episode 1 (with Jays52)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent stuff guys, well done Jays you were excellent. Keep it going.

Listening now.

As you can tell, I love that Borges quote :D

Yeah, that jackass on the phone never shuts up. :) In fairness, I was draggin ass when I was supposed to call in and didn't want to sound like a total idiot. Crushing three xtra strength 5-hour energies seemed like a good idea at the time. If the guys are kind enough to bring me back, I'll do a better job next time.

The podcast is going to be sweet, fellas, and I'm going to be listening to it religiously. You two are extremely bright, funny people with a good sense of how to deliver your angle. I know that this is going to be a success, and I am greatful for the opportunity to contribute what little I know.

I love you too, Britpat!

three extra strength 5 hour energies is ALWAYS a good idea.

Seriously though, you can come on every week if you want. Unlike us, you actually know football, and that helps w/ the whole football podcast thing.

three extra strength 5 hour energies is ALWAYS a good idea.

Seriously though, you can come on every week if you want. Unlike us, you actually know football, and that helps w/ the whole football podcast thing.

Whatever's clever my man. You got my #, holler at me if you to.

Yeah, that jackass on the phone never shuts up. :) In fairness, I was draggin ass when I was supposed to call in and didn't want to sound like a total idiot. Crushing three xtra strength 5-hour energies seemed like a good idea at the time. If the guys are kind enough to bring me back, I'll do a better job next time.

The podcast is going to be sweet, fellas, and I'm going to be listening to it religiously. You two are extremely bright, funny people with a good sense of how to deliver your angle. I know that this is going to be a success, and I am greatful for the opportunity to contribute what little I know.

I love you too, Britpat!

Since I write like you talk (nonstop), I thought I'd make a few comments. I was very impressed. You understood the effect that the Polian rules shift had on the game. You were aware of the shift in BBs draft focus, on toughness and physicality. But thing I liked the most and didn't articulate in my latest tome, was the effect that having TWO physical TE's like Crumpler and Gronkowski, both of whom have plus receiving skills, will have on the Jets 3 stack blitzing defense.

I mentioned in my post that the 2 TE/2WR formation is presents some very difficult match ups for the defense. Just off the top, it is very tough to scheme a blitz because you DON'T know which TE will release if any, so you might run your blitz right into the extra blocker. As a defense you are forced to stay balanced and vanilla, and any motion, either by a TE/WR or RB forces your defense to declare its coverage BEFORE the snap of the ball. And if you have a good OL, you can create a lot of soft spots at the LOS because you will rarely get any penetration, because having 7 men on the LOS you have all one on one match ups.

I'd be very interested to hear what Jay has to say about my thought that instead of opting for the so called obvious pass rushing prospects in the draft (most of whom never pan out), BB instead chose to fix the secondary with his last 3 drafts and best FA pickups (Boddin, McGowan), which would allow him to be more creative in his schemes and coverages, and thus create more sacks and picks THAT way. Though his analysis on Cunningham gives me hope that we actually got the g guy everyone wanted with this relatively unknown kid.

Nice Podcast, great analysis Jay.

Last edited:
No offence to the host/op (Brady FTW?), but I could have listened to jay talking for about 5 hours.
Exactly, I hope he's a regular.

Excellent. Many thanks.

And guys -- you make a great point about McCourty vs. Chung.

Of course, we'll never know for sure. I think it's more likely that they wanted Chung and that they thought others would prefer Delmas but have Chung rated as the next best safety. So, as soon as Delmas went, they knew they had to get going. (The Patriots are the great contrarians: they only rarely agree with the consensus as to who is the best player available at the position -- and when they do (e.g. Mesko) they aren't afraid to 'reach'.) But it's clear that they were confident that there was flexibility with McCourty.

Very well done, I enjoyed it.

Do you think there's any chance you could have Deus Irae and DaBruinz on as special guests and have them debate a topic? They're my 2 favorite posters here (with a wink and a nod to Patschick) and whenever I see them start to go at it I can't help but to go and get my popcorn ready:cool:

I'm also curious to see if Deus could argue things on the fly as well as he does in his posts. His posts are so well-crafted and he's a magician at not only winning the arguments he gets into but making his opponents look foolish in the process. It'd be interesting, for me at least, to see how that would translate into a face-to-face or voice-to-voice debate.

Last edited:
As Jay may have been suggesting, I'm fully expecting a ton of 2 TE (Crumpler and Gronk) week 2 against the Jets. I'll be shocked if we try arena ball and let them hit Tommy play after play in week 2. The Jets will be coming off a physical beating Monday Night against the Ravens and I expect us to try to continue the beatdown with two enormous TE and not allow the pass rush to even be a factor.

A little off topic but the Jets have tough going hosting Baltimore Monday Night then getting us, Holmes will still be home, Sanchez will likely still not be ready and they'll still be getting used to Mr. Classy over Jones. The team of high expectations will have to fight like helll to not start 0-2 IMO even with both games at home.

Thanks for putting in the time and effort to do that--it was excellent.

And Jay, wow. One helluva job there. I think I a made a sarcastic response to one of your posts during the draft last year [or in a game thread :rolleyes:], but whatever it was, I take it back. You know your stuff..

:youtheman:

I love you too, Britpat!

I certainly wouldn't call you a jackass. Not my style and you are obviously a knowlegable Pats and football fan. I just thought there would be some back and forth with the host. That's all. I wasn't trying to bash anyone at all. I definitely appreciate you folks giving this a shot. First show jiters probably had something to do with it. I enjoyed it very much and will listen again.

Wow. Really outstanding, Jay I'm going to listen to that again.

It's nice that i agree with you on so much, but it's just my predilection for balanced offense and tough defense, not any awareness of trends.

Very very impressive. If you were on TV instead of the present Melon heads, I'd start watching the panel segments again. You and Pat Kirwan will get my attention, otherwise i just watch and make my own judgments.

No offence to the host/op (Brady FTW?), but I could have listened to jay talking for about 5 hours.

Why stop the roll? I thought it was about as much insight as three years worth of TV talking heads, so let him go.

Whatever's clever my man. You got my #, holler at me if you to.

You're definitely underexploited, Jay. We need to get all the insight out of you we can, before you go Hollywood on us.:D

Great job guys, I really enjoyed listening to that, keep up the great work.

Nice to listen to people from the board who bring up the issues and topics that we like to listen to.

Very insightful analyses. Well explained. Bravo to those who initiated this podcast. May the first one set the bar for expectations...

I was hesitant at first, but this was definitely a good first show for amateurs. That said the editing was the only thing holdin you back.

Also, for the hosts; you guys gonna tailgate the NE@SD game?

I am greatful for the opportunity to contribute what little I know.

I thought the pod cast was fantastic.

Jay52 - Your analysis of Spikes was interesting. Do you see him as a better ILB than McClain?

Last edited:
Don't take this the wrong way but that was a lot better than I was expecting, most fan podcasts are boring as hell but this was excellent. To echo what others have said Jay was great, I would reglarly listen to a show that breaks things down into more detail like that.

I was hesitant at first, but this was definitely a good first show for amateurs. That said the editing was the only thing holdin you back.

Also, for the hosts; you guys gonna tailgate the NE@SD game?

Definitely planning to, yeah :rocker:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes