PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PatsCast Episode 1 (with Jays52)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't take this the wrong way but that was a lot better than I was expecting, most fan podcasts are boring as hell but this was excellent. To echo what others have said Jay was great, I would reglarly listen to a show that breaks things down into more detail like that.

Completely agreed on all fronts, so none taken. We expected it to suck horribly too, but Jay bailed us out big time.

Definitely planning to, yeah :rocker:

Excellent.

Regarding your comment in your podcast about the media in Boston, is it just me or is there much less of an emphasis on sports on the west coast in general. Don't get me wrong there's media attention on the teams out here, but if somebody breaks a coffee mug at Gillette there's an article about it - conversely I rarely hear about the Chargers. Or about any of the baseball teams for that matter, unless they're red hot at the time.

Good gravy! 5 stars for the podcast, and 6 stars for Jay Shields.:eek:

Really good stuff guys, keep it up!

Excellent.

Regarding your comment in your podcast about the media in Boston, is it just me or is there much less of an emphasis on sports on the west coast in general. Don't get me wrong there's media attention on the teams out here, but if somebody breaks a coffee mug at Gillette there's an article about it - conversely I rarely hear about the Chargers. Or about any of the baseball teams for that matter, unless they're red hot at the time.

Totally agree- I haven't lived in New York, so I can't speak to how it is there (although I hear it's essentially the same as in Boston), but when I've lived in Florida and SoCal, they just don't care *that* much about their sports teams, as a collective mass. I think a lot of it has to do with so few people here in SoCal actually being from SoCal (I'd guesstimate that maybe 50% of sports fans around here root for the home team), so there isn't much of that whole generational thing going on that we all had. Personally, for example, I got big-time into the Boston teams after my grandfather was diagnosed with leukemia, because watching our teams was a great way to spend time together while we still could, and he always could throw in the most random stories about Ted Williams, Bob Cousy, etc. If not for that, I'd be a much less diehard fan, so I can kinda get how the sports culture is a lot different around here. It's just a shame, though, that the Boston media feels the need to exploit that all the time by being such unrelenting ****s.

Last edited:
Great stuff guys!

Its a pleasure to listen to guys who have 'amateur' status but who have a much more thoughtful outlook on football...and in particular Patriots football.

I think our franchise is a fascinating subject for anyone willing to put in the time and spadework to dig out the nuggets - unfortunately much of the Boston sports media has the attention span of a mayfly.

Looking forward to the next one!

I thought the pod cast was fantastic.

Jay52 - Your analysis of Spikes was interesting. Do you see him as a better ILB than McClain?

I don't know. I think that it depends on how you define the comparisson. For what the Patriots are trying to do, and for the position Spikes will be in, I think that he is an excellent fit. I think that McClain could play the position extremely well too.

The way I would look at it is like this: McClain does more things than Spikes can. He is a better athlete than Spikes. I think that the things Spikes does are better than McClain. When you consider where Spikes will be playing, how it will only play to his strengths and mask his weaknesses, I think he is going to be everybit the player McClain will. If I was building a team, and had no linebackers in place already I would take McClain. If I had the 09 Patriots roster, I would take Spikes.

Completely agreed on all fronts, so none taken. We expected it to suck horribly too, but Jay bailed us out big time.

I find your humility offensive :D. Don't let Brady fool you guys. He said in six minutes a lot more than I did in 24. He's the engine that drives the content, and deserves the full credit for how great this thing is going to be.

Last edited:
Much better than I anticipated :) but seriously guys keep up the good work although after the first week of June it's going to be dry. Maybe in the future you could make Jays52 a regular (pre-recorded with mic>phone) because his insight and analysis has got me hooked. I would love to hear Jays52 insight on some of the UDFAs and post/pre game analysis because you guys will need to do it weekly starting with training camp :D is BoR shy? would love to here him on this too.

Last edited:
Hey all,

Just wanted to drop a link for my inaugural Patriots podcast, which is focused on a draft recap. Frankly, we're totally new at this, and it shows in the first few minutes--and in the edits that we made in post-production--but the content gets really good about 7 minutes in, when jays52 joins us and brings the knowledge level up by orders of magnitude. You guys have read his posts, so I think you all have a pretty good idea of what I'm talking about.

Anyways, we're going to be making this a pretty regular thing, and I hope you guys like it and keep tuning in. Kontradiction's coming on for our next episode to do some in-depth analysis of the three Florida guys that we drafted, so I'm sure that'll be a good one. You can find us on iTunes by searching for "Pats Cast", or just go right to this link:

Pats Cast - A podcast by displaced New England Patriots fans.

I've been a draftnik since before there were "draftniks", and that was FANTASTIC! Please keep posting these. It was way above average!!!!!

Much better than I anticipated :) but seriously guys keep up the good work although after the first week of June it's going to be dry. Maybe in the future you could make Jays52 a regular (pre-recorded with mic>phone) because his insight and analysis has got me hooked. I would love to hear Jays52 insight on some of the UDFAs and post/pre game analysis because you guys will need to do it weekly starting with training camp :D is BoR shy? would love to here him on this too.

Mmm ... if you can get someone with a good eye for the game to broadcast his/her analysis from training camp (PFK?) that would be fantastic.

But I'm looking forward to hearing whatever you have to offer -- just let us all know when it's available. Thanks!

If I was building a team, and had no linebackers in place already I would take McClain. If I had the 09 Patriots roster, I would take Spikes.

Can't wait for the 2010 season.

Excellent. Many thanks.

And guys -- you make a great point about McCourty vs. Chung.

Of course, we'll never know for sure. I think it's more likely that they wanted Chung and that they thought others would prefer Delmas but have Chung rated as the next best safety. So, as soon as Delmas went, they knew they had to get going. (The Patriots are the great contrarians: they only rarely agree with the consensus as to who is the best player available at the position -- and when they do (e.g. Mesko) they aren't afraid to 'reach'.) But it's clear that they were confident that there was flexibility with McCourty.

BTW, I do agree that Chung might well have been higher on their board, and that they might have picked him even if Delmas was available. And as far as the Pats being unafraid to 'reach' for their guys, Mankins and Brace are two more prime examples of that.

One thing that we can say for sure, though, is that the Pats wouldn't have picked Chung as a consolation prize once Delmas was off the board. We all know by now that the Pats don't draft like that. A lot of other teams might pick on need, but the Pats pick almost purely on talent, so the only reason why they would pick Chung is because they thought he was the best value on the board at that point. And really, when you look at the profile on Chung: intelligent, aggressive, natural leader, hard worker, better game speed than track speed, flaws in his game are mostly coachable... that sounds like a Pats type of player to me.

Really, the only issue that I have is what it means from a value standpoint, because I do think that Delmas would have fit fine in the Pats' system. They might have chosen Chung over him anyways, but I don't like not knowing that that's the case. It's a minor gripe, and was more meant to highlight what I liked about this draft than anything.

Damn, thanks a lot Jay. I'm going to have some enormous shoes to fill now. :mad:

Excellent work and a great listen.....thanks for taking the time to do it and looking forward to the next one.

Wow, that was damn impressive! I listened to the whole thing twice this morning! :)

In the podcast, you mentioned some of Jay's work on the forum. Can anybody link me to some of this stuff, because I feel like he is just overflowing with knowledge and I'd love to learn a thing or two (or a million) :D

Have to chime in to say I subscribed on iTunes and listened today on the drive home. You were all great to hear. A nice alternative to the red sox trivia and dead horse floggings that makes up boston sports radio.

I'm looking forward to the next one. Can't come too soon.

Have to chime in to say I subscribed on iTunes and listened today on the drive home. You were all great to hear. A nice alternative to the red sox trivia and dead horse floggings that makes up boston sports radio.

I'm looking forward to the next one. Can't come too soon.

Thanks, glad to hear it! FYI, we're putting together content for the 2nd podcast now, and are looking to release it before the end of the week, so that you guys can listen to it on your commutes either Thursday or Friday if you're so inclined.

In the meantime, if anyone has an suggestions as far as what we should bring up, how the show should be structured, etc., we'd definitely love to hear it. Kontra's going to be the featured guest on this one, to give some perspective on the Florida picks, in particular.

Great work guys

subscribed via iTunes

Be good to see some regular board contributors on now and then

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes