PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats tweet: Hernandez released

Status
Not open for further replies.
They'll reportedly have $10 million in dead cap money the next two years because of this. It was worth it. I'm proud of the Patriots putting principle ahead of money in this case.

I expect the Patriots will bring a claim aginst Hernandez for violation of his contract and also league rules in order to recap the cap space. Even if the charge turns out to be "only" a simple charge of obstruction of justice, I would be surpised if that were not a violation of both the contract and the league rules. I think the Patriots would only have to establish the claim to the civil verses criminal standard, but I am not sure on this. Reiss pointed this out as a likely senario a while ago.

"One other factor to consider: A club can recover bonus money and avoid a cap hit if a player violates one of the league's personal conduct policies or defaults on contract language."

Revisiting details of Hernandez contract - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

I doubt the Patriots see much if any of the money back from Hernandez bonus, but they will do what they can do to mitigate the damages to the organization. It is a sad day for all of the parties, but my strongest sympathies by far lie with the family of the murder victim regardless of what involvement, if any, Hernandez had in it.

Do you think any of the media outlets will put out a story how the Pats released AH and showed how they are a classy origination? Think any non Pats players will comment how we did the right thing?

Probably they will tell you how the Pats knew much more than everyone and simply had to do it to save some face.

@BUF
NYJ
TB

Projected offense lineup:

WR: Amendola
WR: Jenkins
TE: Ballard
TE: Sudfeld
RB: Ridley
RB: Vereen/Bolden

Am I a homer for still thinking we'll start out 3-0? I imagine we'll ground n pound our RBs, control the clock, and win the games in 21-10, 24-14, etc. fashion.

Week 4, @Atlanta, is when it will get interesting and (most likely) ugly.

@BUF
NYJ
TB

Am I a homer for still thinking we'll start out 3-0? I imagine we'll ground n pound our RBs, control the clock, and win the games in 21-10, 24-14, etc. fashion.

I would think that Fells or Hooman would start over Sudfeld, but you never know how things play out in training camp.

@BUF
NYJ
TB

Believe it or not, I think the Pats will do better this season as opposed to last season, despite what's happened this offseason.

@BUF
NYJ
TB

Gronk will be fine by week 4. If we can ground and pound, Tom will flourish with the wr's.

@BUF
NYJ
TB

I think the general feeling is that Gronk will be back by then, so that'll help immensely.

I still want NE to pick up Dallas Clark. Guy can still play, and he plays the same position (receiving TE) that Hernandez did. Better hands, not as good in the open field, but a quality, reliable player that can give NE a year (or two, maybe). And he's still out there available. Use Hernandez' money on him.

I would think that Fells or Hooman would start over Sudfeld, but you never know how things play out in training camp.

We need offensive help badly. Fells/Hooman proved they stink as receivers (their catch to snap ratio was pathetic). If Sudfeld is a worse blocker but a much better receiver I'd much rather see him out there. We'll see how it folds out at camp.

The Pats will be fine without him, and if he was arrested for murder, then good riddance. That's a black cloud that the organization doesn't need hanging over it, and just by being as involved as he appears to be he's demonstrated appallingly bad judgment, at the bare minimum.

More than ever, though, the Pats really need a bit of luck on the injury front this year. In addition to Wilfork and Brady staying healthy like usual, we're going to need Gronk, Amendola, and Vereen to all stay on the field for this offense to operate at anything close to its capacity. The days of being able to lose one of those guys and still be at 90something% might be over.

Maybe more importantly, the defense really needs to make that step up this year. I've spent the last two offseasons predicting that it would happen, so I'm done predicting anything on that front. But with Welker and Hernandez gone, it's going to be notably harder to win shootouts.

I think Dobson is going to have a monster TC and becomes a starter week 1

And Hits Just KEEP ON COMIN! MAN! What's next?!??!!!
NFGA'ALL!!!

@BUF
NYJ
TB

I think we'll go with 11 personnel.. same as we did when Hernandez was out last season.

I think Dobson is going to have a monster TC and becomes a starter week 1

I hope so but I must admit I have my doubts about him. In interviews he hasn't shown a lot of emotion about being here. Acts like it's just another day. That could be a good thing too, I suppose.

I hope so but I must admit I have my doubts about him. In interviews he hasn't shown a lot of emotion about being here. Acts like it's just another day. That could be a good thing too, I suppose.
I wouldn't read too much into that. I mean, Chad Ochocinco started crying and thanking God for being here and we all saw how that turned out.

2 weeks ago we should have traded AH to Denver for Welker lol

good to see his head isn't in the clouds.

Would read nothing into it.

No more No. 81 jerseys at the Pro Shop.

BNsmPbYCEAAQSdK.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST