PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats sign Reche Caldwell

Status
Not open for further replies.
gomezcat said:
I read your post this morning (3am ET, so well before you could have known), mentioning him as a potential Pat so I thought I should just congratulate you on your foresight. You aren't his agent are you? :D

No Gomez, I'm not. Living in Southern California, I have had the opportunity to watch Reche play a few times and the kid has the potential to be scary good. He earned his way into a starting position in 2004 before getting hurt. Then, coming back, he was stuck behind McCardell and Parker at receiver, but also Tomlinson and Gates in terms of the passing game.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2002/draft/players/17897.html

5'11.5, 194, 4.47

Consistent, reliable target that makes all the catches. Quick releasing off the line of scrimmage, sells his routes and extends his hands away from his body, giving the quarterback a big target. Looks the pass in, displays focus, concentration and effective running after the catch. Goes over the middle and consistently finds the open spot on the field. Times and anticipates his receptions well, adjusts to the errant throw and makes the difficult catch in traffic. Lacks the top end speed, not getting separation down the field nor does he always win out in battles. Needs more on the field experience but a solid receiver with a good amount of upside potential. Mid to late Second Round.

Pats67 said:
Age. Diminished speed and skills. Desire on the team's part to get younger, faster, better. Nobody plays forever. Just a guess.

We're not going to go into another hissy about disrespecting a loyal soldier again, are we?

Huh??? Wrong person.....

Troy Brown can be had for short money and for one year - if "depth" is an issue....

This is hardly a David Terrel or a Andre Davis signing..he'll be in the mix and will contribute...he's far from a big name player, but oI do not believe one has to be to succeed in the Patriot system. Troy?? Not at all a bad choice to return as well..even a Dwight. But the team needed some wideouts and he is one that will help.

I'm hoping we can nab Moulds if he is finally cut...then having a guy like Caldwell at #3 is lethal.

The Caldwell signing is to fill the #3 spot. The Pats still need a bonafide #2 WR.

DaBruinz said:
No Gomez, I'm not. Living in Southern California, I have had the opportunity to watch Reche play a few times and the kid has the potential to be scary good. He earned his way into a starting position in 2004 before getting hurt. Then, coming back, he was stuck behind McCardell and Parker at receiver, but also Tomlinson and Gates in terms of the passing game.

Excellent. It's good to see that the Pats are signing players who have the potential to be great rather than people who are big names, just for the sake of it.

Bobs My Uncle said:
The Caldwell signing is to fill the #3 spot. The Pats still need a bonafide #2 WR.

I agree...I am just hoping they don't bring in several guys of this caliber, like last year in brining in Brown, Dwight, Davis, etc. hoping to find one guy to stick behind branch and Givens. If we can land a solid #2 we are suddenly turning this into a strength.

I agree with Bobs My Uncle and Pats_Fan_In_Illinois. At best, we've got a #3, at least for this year.

Caldwell's just not experienced enough for BB to trust him out on the field in the #2 position. All it takes is for a receiver to go long when Brady thought he was curling in, and you've got a pick for a TD.

Garbanza said:
Troy Brown can be had for short money and for one year - if "depth" is an issue....
I too am a big Troy Brown fan. But even I have come to feel that a separation is best for all parties concerned. Whether the team feels that way remains to be seen, though I suspect this may be the case.

I'm hoping for Jevon Walker (who said he rather retire than play for the Packers). Could he be acquired for a 3rd? We traded Glenn to the Packers for a 4th.

We might have to trade to get Moulds. There are a ton of teams (like Seattle, Pittsburgh, etc.) that need a bonafide #2.

I'm not a big fan. He does have some potential. Played behind the aging McCardell and Parker. When he was healthy, had problems hanging on to the ball. I think we're just trying to get some decent bodies at WR and see what happens.

Pats_Fan_In_Illinois said:
I agree...I am just hoping they don't bring in several guys of this caliber, like last year in brining in Brown, Dwight, Davis, etc. hoping to find one guy to stick behind branch and Givens. If we can land a solid #2 we are suddenly turning this into a strength.
I agree 100%.

Before it all ends I think (hope?) that one of either Keyshawn or Moulds (or possibly Walker) will be in a Pats jersey.

PATRIOTS-80 said:
I'm hoping for Jevon Walker (who said he rather retire than play for the Packers). Could he be acquired for a 3rd? We traded Glenn to the Packers for a 4th.

We might have to trade to get Moulds. There are a ton of teams (like Seattle, Pittsburgh, etc.) that need a bonafide #2.

P-80, I have been saying the same thing on patriots.com. People keep saying Green bay would demand more than a 3rd, but I think as the season draws near, they will be happy to get whatever they can for him.

I would love to see Walker in New England.

GoWhalers said:
Caldwell's just not experienced enough for BB to trust him out on the field in the #2 position. All it takes is for a receiver to go long when Brady thought he was curling in, and you've got a pick for a TD.
Most, or many anyway, or the "receiver running one route, Brady throwing another" occurences recently were with Givens.

I'm not part of the "no better than #3 crew" although I'm not freaking out either. He's certainly as talented as Givens and has a good build too. Can he perform at that level in this offense, who knows . . . but I wouldn't automatically assume he can't do what Givens did as a #2 WR.

Bobs My Uncle said:
I agree 100%.

Before it all ends I think (hope?) that one of either Keyshawn or Moulds (or possibly Walker) will be in a Pats jersey.

Agreed...I think Keyshawn would be a pretty good fit for the Patriots now that he has mellowed out a little.

tkayo said:
When he was healthy, had problems hanging on to the ball.
According to Football Outsiders, 65% of passes thrown to him were completed . . . Givens was at 62%. Note, that's all passes thrown, don't subtract from 100% for a drop rate as this includes uncatchable passes thrown to them.

BelichickFan said:
Most, or many anyway, or the "receiver running one route, Brady throwing another" occurences recently were with Givens.

I'm not part of the "no better than #3 crew" although I'm not freaking out either. He's certainly as talented as Givens and has a good build too. Can he perform at that level in this offense, who knows . . . but I wouldn't automatically assume he can't do what Givens did as a #2 WR.

Bingo I'm with you.

pats60 said:
I rather they Sign Josh Reed

Reed has underachieved for the Bills since they got him. If you want to slam Caldwell, you have to slam Reed. He's been slip-sliding down their depth chart ever since Evans and Parrish were drafted.

And hey, if Chatham is a potential Pro Bowler per Moga, then Caldwell must be a potential Hall of Famer!

Last edited:
tkayo said:
I'm not a big fan. He does have some potential. Played behind the aging McCardell and Parker. When he was healthy, had problems hanging on to the ball. I think we're just trying to get some decent bodies at WR and see what happens.

When healthy, he had problems hanging onto the ball? You mean the whopping 3 drops he had in 2003? He hasn't had any drops the last 2 years.

Lets not forget that David Givens had problems holding on to the ball as a rookie as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft