PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats sign Reche Caldwell

Status
Not open for further replies.
CrazyDave said:
Sound like a good equation to me.

yeah you really can't go wrong with him. Could really work out. At worst, he's a depth WR who KR.

Garbanza said:
David Terrell was supposed to be the second coming too.....oh yah, and Andre Davis.....gee wiz, is Stokes still out there? LOL!
Oh come on, a lot of us laughed at the A.D.D. Kid the minute he signed with us, but I did have some hopes for Davis on the other hand though. I'm lukewarm on Reche, will just wait and see. I'm guessing most of the jubilation is just over signing a body as opposed to losing more. :)

I understand that depth is an issue. Then why not re-sign Troy Brown to a one year contract?

Garbanza said:
YAWN!

How can you all be soooooo excited over a MAYBE mediocre reciever? Yikes. I'm more excited about Bam Childress having more of an impact on the offense. What has Reche done in his career? Oh yah.....NADDA.

GIVE ME MOULDS!

Hmm.. Catching over 62% of the passes thrown to him in each of the last 2 years is Nada? Ok.

The kid was a starting WR for the Chargers in 2004 untill he got injured. He came back and was the #3 behind 2 good WRs in Parker and McCardell. Not to mention that made him the #5 receiver behind Gates and Tomlinson as well. Kind of hard to show your talent when you are that far down the receiving depth chart.

I rather they Sign Josh Reed

I agree that we should re-sign Brown. But I also agree that for depths sake, adding Caldwell was a good move.

Garbanza said:
I understand that depth is an issue. Then why not re-sign Troy Brown to a one year contract?

Personally, JMO is that BB is trying to get younger. He is looking to the future. And that doesn't include paying a 36 and 37 year old LB like Willie lots a $$$. I think BB is hoping to draft a bunch a first day and second day WR's. If he falls short, maybe Brown does come back. But we won't know until after the draft.

(edit: I know Willie is 34 going on 35, I was talking about the 2nd and 3rd year of his contract)

Last edited:
Ron Borges is reporting that when Caldwell was driving to the airport,he saw a man with a Patriots Sam Bam Cunningham #39 jersey.

He took this as a sign from God and knew he had to sign with the Patriots.

From Patriots.com:

Caldwell, 26, will enter his fifth NFL season in 2006 and joins the Patriots after spending his first four seasons with the San Diego Chargers. The 6-foot, 215-pound wide receiver has played in 47 career games with 14 starts and has caught 76 passes for 950 yards and seven touchdowns. He has recorded seven career catches of 30 yards or longer. Last season with the Chargers, Caldwell established career highs with 28 receptions and 352 yards while playing in all 16 games with two starts.

Oh, yah.....I'm impressed (eye roll) He's going to be a huge impact. (eye roll) I see #4 receiver here - maybe a #3. Maybe.

DaBruinz said:
Hmm.. Catching over 62% of the passes thrown to him in each of the last 2 years is Nada? Ok.

The kid was a starting WR for the Chargers in 2004 untill he got injured. He came back and was the #3 behind 2 good WRs in Parker and McCardell. Not to mention that made him the #5 receiver behind Gates and Tomlinson as well. Kind of hard to show your talent when you are that far down the receiving depth chart.

I read your post this morning (3am ET, so well before you could have known), mentioning him as a potential Pat so I thought I should just congratulate you on your foresight. You aren't his agent are you? :D

Garbanza said:
I'm not one of the several people here pushing the panic button because the FO has made no moves so far this off-season. But lets be real, my dear little homers, Reche Caldwell is no great shakes. It's not even a given that he will make it through camp. Nonetheless, he's the second coming of God to some of you. Just keeping it real.

On to Moulds. He is still a great talent, though aging. I suspect he may be HUNGRY. The Pats, in the past, have picked up hungry, aging vets and the outcome has been magnificent. Harrison and Dillon come to mind.

Too bad Moulds hasn't been released yet. Also, I'll put money, right now, that Caldwell makes it out of camp. This isn't some undrafted Street free agent who has marginal skills.

Reche had a few cases of the injury bug. But he's fast, and is a good addition.

DefenseRules said:
Anyone know if he can return punts or kick offs?

He has the ability to do both. However, I think the Pats are better served with him strictly as a receiver. But that is just my humble opinion.

Haven't read the whole thread but Caldwell's 2005 season was his first since surgery to repair a torn ACL. He's shown flashes in certain games (like one against the Eagles last year) but it's really hard to get a read on him, since he played for Marty-ball.

In a "spread the ball around" offense like the Pats have, he could emerge as a #2/#3 WR weapon. For the right money, a decent signing.

Garbanza said:

Maybe because Troy wants a longer contract than just one year? Or maybe its because the Pats feel that its time to move on and get younger in the receiving corps.

Garbanza said:
Age. Diminished speed and skills. Desire on the team's part to get younger, faster, better. Nobody plays forever. Just a guess.

We're not going to go into another hissy about disrespecting a loyal soldier again, are we?

PATSNUTme said:
Ron Borges is reporting that when Caldwell was driving to the airport,he saw a man with a Patriots Sam Bam Cunningham #39 jersey.

He took this as a sign from God and knew he had to sign with the Patriots.
Now your just being silly, Borges would never stoop so lo....whoops, must remember to use the new specticles.

Caldwell Confirmed

Signings: Pats, Caldwell agree to two-year deal
ESPN.com news services

The Patriots made their first move in free agency by reaching a two-year agreement with Chargers wide receiver Reche Caldwell.

Terms of the deal were unavailable, but the deal, like many given by the Patriots, gives Caldwell a lot of incentives if he does well on the field. After the losses of David Givens and Andre' Davis in free agency, the Patriots were in need of receiving help. They were down to Deion Branch and Bethel Johnson. Troy Brown and Tim Dwight are currently free agents and they are visiting other teams.

The 26-year-old Caldwell had 14 starts in his four seasons with the Chargers. He's caught 76 passes for 950 yards and seven touchdowns during his career. He has the potential to make big plays. During his career, he's had seven receptions of 30 yards or more.

The Chargers made him the 48th selection in the 2002 draft.
-- John Clayton, ESPN.com

T-ShirtDynasty said:
Oh come on, a lot of us laughed at the A.D.D. Kid the minute he signed with us, but I did have some hopes for Davis on the other hand though. I'm lukewarm on Reche, will just wait and see. I'm guessing most of the jubilation is just over signing a body as opposed to losing more. :)

Exactly T-Shirtsan. How well you understand the mind of this mob. :)

Mooch said:
Haven't read the whole thread but Caldwell's 2005 season was his first since surgery to repair a torn ACL. He's shown flashes in certain games (like one against the Eagles last year) but it's really hard to get a read on him, since he played for Marty-ball.

In a "spread the ball around" offense like the Pats have, he could emerge as a #2/#3 WR weapon. For the right money, a decent signing.
speaking of $$$, found this on a Chargers fan site. His most recent deal:

Reche Caldwell: signed 4-year deal worth $2,722,500 in 2002- + he receives a $1,362,500 signing bonus and Base salaries of 225K in 2002, 300K in 2003, 380K in 2004 and 455K in 2005- + he earned $4,200 in bonuses in 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back