PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats sign Reche Caldwell

Status
Not open for further replies.
GoWhalers said:
I agree with Bobs My Uncle and Pats_Fan_In_Illinois. At best, we've got a #3, at least for this year.

Caldwell's just not experienced enough for BB to trust him out on the field in the #2 position. All it takes is for a receiver to go long when Brady thought he was curling in, and you've got a pick for a TD.

Neither were Branch and Givens when they started to get some real time with the Pats.

Remember, Brady was responsible for much of Givens' success. That's every reason to suggest Caldwell will benefit from Brady as well.

Last edited:
pats1 said:
Neither were Branch and Givens when they started to get some real time with the Pats.

Remember, Brady was responable for much of Givens' success. That's every reason to suggest Caldwell will benefit from Brady as well.

Completely agree....I think is going to prove to be a solid pick-up.

DaBruinz said:
When healthy, he had problems hanging onto the ball? You mean the whopping 3 drops he had in 2003? He hasn't had any drops the last 2 years.

Lets not forget that David Givens had problems holding on to the ball as a rookie as well.

He had fumbl-itise on 05... in reference to a big time fumble at the end of a game last year, I remember Marty saying that a player like Reche could not play for one of his teams.

tkayo said:
He had fumbl-itise on 05... in reference to a big time fumble at the end of a game last year, I remember Marty saying that a player like Reche could not play for one of his teams.

Is one ball being stripped from him fumble-itis? No worse than what happened to us on a punt return in the playoffs...

tkayo said:
I remember Marty saying that a player like Reche could not play for one of his teams.
Yeah, well he felt the same way about some other guy he cut. Rodney something or other, the last name's escaping me.

DaBruinz said:
When healthy, he had problems hanging onto the ball? You mean the whopping 3 drops he had in 2003? He hasn't had any drops the last 2 years.

Lets not forget that David Givens had problems holding on to the ball as a rookie as well.

He damn near fumbled on that play in SB 39. Instead of breaking it for big yds, he had to fall on it without being tackled. Know the one I'm talking about? Just saying.

tkayo said:

Sorry, 2 fumbles is NOT fumblitis. 5 fumbles would be fumblitis. 6 fumbles is fumblitis. not 2.

Garbanza said:
David Terrell was supposed to be the second coming too.....oh yah, and Andre Davis.....gee wiz, is Stokes still out there? LOL!

My contribution will be....Al Sykes!!!!!

tkayo said:

Marty's teams are made up exclusively of that type of player - it's a reflection of the coach....his teams are always making key mistakes at key points in the game, whether it's penalties or turnovers or blown assignments....i believe teams often reflect the personalities of their coach...for that reason, i've always believed that marty is careless in pressure moments.

pats1 said:
Remember, Brady was responable for much of Givens' success. That's every reason to suggest Caldwell will benefit from Brady as well.
You mean just like David Terrell and Andre Davis :confused:

You mean just like David Terrell and Andre Davis

Terrel didn't even get a shot (he was cut before the season began), and Davis was forced to play behind Branch, Givens, and Brown, and the Pats very rarely ran 4 wideout plays, as they seemed to prefer thw two TE, two reciever set. Reche will have the PRIVELAGE of being a number 2 or 3 (probably).

mavfan2390 said:
Terrel didn't even get a shot (he was cut before the season began), and Davis was forced to play behind Branch, Givens, and Brown, and the Pats very rarely ran 4 wideout plays, as they seemed to prefer thw two TE, two reciever set. Reche will have the PRIVELAGE of being a number 2 or 3 (probably).

Took the response right out of my mouth. :cool:

mavfan2390 said:
Ah, so the argument goes that they were buried behind better players. Gotcha.

The point was that Brady's excellence allows his receivers to play up to there potential. Well, few receivers had potential like Terrell and Davis did. Why didn't Brady's presence as QB allow them to shine and surpass less skilled players such as Givens, and Brown? Brady's greatness didn't help highly skilled players like Terrell and Davis any?

mavfan2390 said:
Ah, so the argument goes that they were buried behind better players. Gotcha.

The point was that Brady's excellence allows his receivers to play up to there potential. Well, few receivers had potential like Terrell and Davis did. Why didn't Brady's presence as QB allow them to shine and surpass less skilled players such as Givens, and Brown? Brady's greatness didn't help highly skilled players like Terrell and Davis any so why would it automatically help Caldwell?

Bob's My Uncle -
Why don't you just admit that you don't know diddly about Caldwell, haven't actually watched him play, and you are just talking based on having looked at one person's links? You're whole argument is as flimsy as a house of cards that hasn't been superglued together.

I find it amazing how you and other can make such outrageous claims about a player based on not having watched him play and only on what you read on some guys web posting.

1) In 2004, Caldwell won a starting job out of training camp.
2) He was the Chargers top WR, but still behind Gates and Tomlinson as receiving options.
3) 2 fumbles doesn't = fumbleitis.
4) You have only one sites interpretation that Caldwell ran an incorrect route that led to an interception. The fact of the matter is that you don't know that to be true.
5) The guy was coming back from an ACL injury last year. Yes, he had more catches than the previous year, but that was also across 16 games and the Chargers only threw in his direction 43 times. He was the #3 receiver but 5th on their recieving chart behind Tomlinson, Gates, McCardell and Parker. Guys who had 82% of the Chargers receptions.

Last edited:
DaBruinz said:
Bob's My Uncle -
Why don't you just admit that you don't know diddly about Caldwell, haven't actually watched him play, and you are just talking based on having looked at one person's links? You're whole argument is as flimsy as a house of cards that hasn't been superglued together.

I find it amazing how you and other can make such outrageous claims about a player based on not having watched him play and only on what you read on some guys web posting.

2) He was the Chargers top WR, but still behind Gates and Tomlinson on the receiver depth chart.
4) You have only one sites interpretation that Caldwell ran an incorrect route that led to an interception. The fact of the matter is that you don't know that to be true.
5) The guy was coming back from an ACL injury last year. Yes, he had more catches than the previous year, but that was also across 16 games and the Chargers only threw in his direction 43 times. He was the #3 receiver but 5th on their recieving chart behind Tomlinson, Gates, McCardell and Parker. Guys who had 82% of the Chargers receptions.
Actually, I'm basing my opinion on the guy by his stats mostly, from what I have seen of his play (admitedly just a few games) by what my buddy has told me about and also on the noted anaysis in here.

I see a player who is a tease.

We weren't this excited about Andre Davis and Terrell last year.

I too want to see Moulds and/or KJ and Dwight.

DaBruinz said:
Bob's My Uncle -

2) He was the Chargers top WR, but still behind Gates and Tomlinson as receiving options.

David Givens ran a wrong route that ended up being a game winning TD reception in the Denver MNF game (the 'intentional safety game'). It all depends on your QB how bad your small screwups stand out. Brady will make this kid a better WR than he is.

I'm not crazy about him. Really not that good.

Hopefully he will be alot better than he was in powder blue land.

To all of you naybob's of negitivity. Can't we just wait until like the 3rd week of TC before we make our judgements?:eek:

He will be catching balls throw by Tom Brady, not a SD QB. He will be in the Patriots offensive system, not SD's. I'm going to wait before I declare him a boom or a bust.

Welcome to the Patriots Mr Cadlwell. As a Patriots fan I hope it works for us and you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back