PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats sign Reche Caldwell

Status
Not open for further replies.
JackBauer said:
According to Dan Pires...

Good news. I hear he's kinda soft, though. Anyone got the scoop?

Well, few receivers had potential like Terrell and Davis did. Why didn't Brady's presence as QB allow them to shine and surpass less skilled players such as Givens, and Brown? Brady's greatness didn't help highly skilled players like Terrell and Davis any so why would it automatically help Caldwell?

you make a good point, but one could argue that since the pats were competing for a super bowl, nothing less, that they didn't have time to develop terrel, and davis and throw them into the top three,

dont get me wrong, im not saying that the pats wont compete this year, im saying that reche will be used/ developed out of necessity as we have noone else, whereas terrel, and davis were stuck behind, at the time, more developed players,

Caldwell is miserable. His career numbers would be decent for a single season. The only Florida receiver I wanted to see on the Pats was Chad Jackson.

mavfan2390 said:
you make a good point, but one could argue that since the pats were competing for a super bowl, nothing less, that they didn't have time to develop terrel, and davis and throw them into the top three,

dont get me wrong, im not saying that the pats wont compete this year, im saying that reche will be used/ developed out of necessity as we have noone else, whereas terrel, and davis were stuck behind, at the time, more developed players,
When all is said and done the Pats had best have another WR ahead of Caldwell on the depth chart or this season is going to be very L O N G.

We could be going back to the dink and dunk, with lots of HB and TE screens. Hell, they won two SBs doing that... I don't have a problem with it. :D

when i heard the news i raised my arms and triumph and screamed "yes"

no kidding

ive always kinda been a fan of caldwell

he is not the next david terrell, he had other problems

caldwell is not gonna be deion branch, or david givens, but he can be a solid wr

while most in here say at best #3
im telling you he is at worst a decent #3
remember last year we didnt really have a great #3 wr, and he can give us that
he will get better numbers with the pats than he did at sd

we should still get a guy who can be a #2, either in fa or in the draft
some options:
keyshawn (never really liked him, but could be good value)
javon walker (not gonna happen, cuz were not gonna give him the new deal he wants)
draft:
chad jackson in first rd
martin nance in second rd
greg jennings in third rd
there are some others in the draft that could be a number two b/w branch and reche on the depth chart, but those three are the ones i like at those spots

we also need a #4 wr, if bethel is either traded or released
if hes not then we can field:
branch, #2, reche, bethel, bam bam

if bethel goes
branch, #2, reche, #4(mike hass in the late third to early fourth would then be added to my list, or sklyar green late second day), bam bam

When all is said and done the Pats had best have another WR ahead of Caldwell on the depth chart or this season is going to be very L O N G.

I'm sure they will, in fact this is my prediction:

Moulds, Branch, Reche, Bethel (I think he gets another shot), Bam Bam, Late Draft Pick,

with Moulds, and Branch drawing double teams, and Watson streching the field, you better bet Reche will have a production 30-40 catch season :rocker: hey, i can dream!

PATSNUTme said:
To all of you naybob's of negitivity. Can't we just wait until like the 3rd week of TC before we make our judgements?:eek:

He will be catching balls throw by Tom Brady, not a SD QB. He will be in the Patriots offensive system, not SD's. I'm going to wait before I declare him a boom or a bust.

Welcome to the Patriots Mr Cadlwell. As a Patriots fan I hope it works for us and you.
Nut, you left out "nattering". IMO, there is a fair amount of nattering goin' on heah.

Dittoes to Mr. Caldwell-------

He got off to a big start in the first 4 games of 2004 and looked like he was on the way to filling his potential with 14 catches, 281 yrds, and 3 TDS. He got hurt two games later.

If he can get back to playing the way he did to start that year (it projects to 56 catches, 1100 yards and 12 TDs) we would forget Givens name.

I don't see him playing at that level for 16 games but he has size, speed, and ability and I would expect him to contribute in the passing game. I don't see any downside to the signing.

Last edited:
Great #3 WR. I saw flashes of him in 2004 before he tore his knee. He did look decent vs us last year. If he gets healthy, I think he will be a solid addition to the team and put up some decent numbers.

About the Walker trade, let see what he wants money wise first. There is a chance we could use the torn ACL injury as leverage to try to use one of our incentive laden deals. He does want out of Green Bay bad, as he said in the press that he would rather retire than go to camp I heard somewhere within the last month. I would still love Keyshawn, as Branch, Key and Caldwell with Graham or Watson at TE sounds like a defensive coordinator's nightmare. Throw in a healthy Dillon or Faulk in that backfield, and we have some nice weapons for Brady to go to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes