PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats sign Deltha O'Neal, release Spach, sign OL Bender and DeVree to practice squad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Pats sign Deltha O'Neal, release Spach, sign OL Bender and DeVree to practice squ

The obvious advantage, to me, that O'Neal has over Bryant is his history of INTs. The defense needed a ball-hawk at CB after Samuel left, but Bryant has never filled that bill. O'Neal is not nearly the playmaker he was 3 years ago, but he could possibly become this year's version of Terrell Buckley, as others have already mentioned.

I'm still not comfortable with Lew Sanders as our #4/5 CB. I'd rather have Bryant back, or Hank the Man Poteat, or even Geno Wilson. I wonder if Lew has taken any snaps at FS during TC.

As for the other moves:

Let's see if Pokey-azz can prove to be a better 3rd/blocking TE than Spach.

Signing Bender to the PS is a decent move. He's pretty athletic for a a tall OLman, so perhaps he might have a future as a blind-side blocker. And if his signing makes any jest fans mad, then all the better.

I liked DeVree better than Stupor, but now that Pociask is on the 53, a better option for the PS may be a WR. Does C-Jack have any PS eligibility?

Re: Pats sign Deltha O'Neal, release Spach, sign OL Bender and DeVree to practice squ

BB on EEI said that he liked O'Neill because of the fact that he was always around the ball. Not just INTs but fumbles, etc. That was Asante's strength not that O'N is close to being as good a corner. The ball hawking plus ST capabilities warranted a signing. We'll see if Deltha has any real ability and sticks. It should not be a great challenge making this CB squad.

The obvious advantage, to me, that O'Neal has over Bryant is his history of INTs. The defense needed a ball-hawk at CB after Samuel left, but Bryant has never filled that bill. O'Neal is not nearly the playmaker he was 3 years ago, but he could possibly become this year's version of Terrell Buckley, as others have already mentioned.

I'm still not comfortable with Lew Sanders as our #4/5 CB. I'd rather have Bryant back, or Hank the Man Poteat, or even Geno Wilson. I wonder if Lew has taken any snaps at FS during TC.

As for the other moves:

Let's see if Pokey-azz can prove to be a better 3rd/blocking TE than Spach.

Signing Bender to the PS is a decent move. He's pretty athletic for a a tall OLman, so perhaps he might have a future as a blind-side blocker. And if his signing makes any jest fans mad, then all the better.

I liked DeVree better than Stupor, but now that Pociask is on the 53, a better option for the PS may be a WR. Does C-Jack have any PS eligibility?

I attended the first exhibition game. During the first series of downs,

three passes in a row were completed against Bryant for first downs.

Lewis Sanders came into the game and the pass defense improved.

Sanders stayed close to his man.

I don't like Wilcots too much but he made some good coments on O'Neal recently:

http://bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view.bg?articleid=1116654

“I’ve seen him play a lot. I saw him play in Denver. He’s someone who can flat out play when he’s focused. The problem is, he’s not focused,” Wilcots said. “I’m sure that’s what coach Belichick saw. But was Randy Moss focused when he was in Oakland? No. You tend to get production out of players in New England because they pay attention to details, and they make sure the player pays attention to details.

“I guarantee you, Bill Belichick can put tape on for Deltha O’Neal when he was a Pro Bowler, and he’ll put on tape from the last two years, and say, ‘You notice anything?’ And he’ll see, ‘Yeah, I look bad.’ ”

I think BB and Capers will get him to play to his best level.

I attended the first exhibition game. During the first series of downs,

three passes in a row were completed against Bryant for first downs.

Lewis Sanders came into the game and the pass defense improved.

Sanders stayed close to his man.

I noticed that, too, and tried to rationalize the huge cushions allowed by Bryant as just playing the defense prescribed. As the preseason continued, I continued to ask myself: why is Bryant playing scared, in games that don't count? Was he really that afraid of being beaten deep, or had he lost his recovery speed?

There have been a few busts at DB during the last 7 years, but this is the first time I can recall that one of them hasn't made it to Opening Day.

As for Lew Sanders, he was someone I had hoped, because of his size, would interest the FO as a UFA after the '04 season. Instead, the FO signed Chad Scott.

oneal will help this team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back