PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats sign Deltha O'Neal, release Spach, sign OL Bender and DeVree to practice squad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Pats sign Deltha O'Neal, release Spach, sign OL Bender and DeVree to practice squ

I respect your post and agree with you free agency is a hit or miss business, my point was lately its been a complete miss when it comes to the corner position. Im not the type of person that wants only big names I was excited about the Bryant pickup and we all know how that turned out.

It seemingly turned out poorly, but did it really cost the Patriots anything except some time spent evaluating the player? That time is important, but it hardly cripples the team. We're also assuming that they were unhappy with Bryant, when it may be the case that they simply liked Wheatley better after getting him into a Patriots jersey. The only guys kept ahead of Bryant were the two rookies, an established starter and a guy who gives them depth at both corner and safety. It may simply have been the case that Bryant couldn't beat out a talented rookie nor offer the versatility of the other veteran, so he was let go. That's not a terrible indictment of a player. And I'll take a young, cheap draft pick winning a starting spot over a veteran any day - success in the draft is much more important than free agency.

Re: Pats sign Deltha O'Neal, release Spach, sign OL Bender and DeVree to practice squ

Is that an indictment of the front office or a weak class of free agents?

Dont forget im only referring to the corner position. That being said im sure its more of a weak class of free agents then the front office. But they do deserve some of the blame, they could try another approach instead of just pickin up cast-offs from other teams. Like I said its just my opinion nobody has to agree with me.

For every Duane Starks, Monty Beisel or Donald Hayes, there's twice over guys like Corey Dillon, Mike Vrable or Rodney Harrison, guys that delivered championship-caliber play. Until the team starts really floundering, I'll live with the fact that scouting is an inexact science, predicated as much on a player's desire to excel as on his identifiable talents. The fact that the Patriots have had so many success stories only being able to evaluate one side of that equation earns them a lot of leeway for the foreseeable future.

The Starks, Beisel year they actually almost found a way to make it happen, had they not turned it over to Champ they were going in to take the lead and I doubt they would have looked back. They manged to get hot even with those two bozo's, one thing I know for sure is that they can make chicken soup out of chicken poop.

O'Neal could be productive - IOW he won't get burned much and will play hard against the run when called upon to do so. A pick here and there would be gravy. Hoping for anything beyond that is pretty fanciful.

Having said that, the hard and fast rule that any Cincy personnel decision is always wrong implies O'Neal has much more left to offer than we might imagine. Add in the chance to finally play with winners, not whiners, and his revitalization might amount to a little more than I first suggested.

The Starks, Beisel year they actually almost found a way to make it happen, had they not turned it over to Champ they were going in to take the lead and I doubt they would have looked back. They manged to get hot even with those two bozo's, one thing I know for sure is that they can make chicken soup out of chicken poop.

Forget the Brady pick that Watson ran down, the Patriots were dominating that game, if Samuel hadn't gotten boned by that awful pass interference call, the Patriots win going away. Totally changed the way the game was played, the Patriots were dictating the pace and style of play, and then were forced to play catch-up because of incompetent officiating. Your point, that they managed to improve significantly by the end of the season, in spite of some weak players, is spot on though. I have no doubt had they gotten by Denver, they would have beaten Pittsburgh handily and had an excellent chance to win another Superbowl against a solid but unspectacular Seattle team.

O'Neal could be productive - IOW he won't get burned much and will play hard against the run when called upon to do so. A pick here and there would be gravy. Hoping for anything beyond that is pretty fanciful.

Having said that, the hard and fast rule that any Cincy personnel decision is always wrong implies O'Neal has much more left to offer than we might imagine. Add in the chance to finally play with winners, not whiners, and his revitalization might amount to a little more than I first suggested.

I actually think it may be the exact opposite - Deltha might get burned a few times, but he could be our next Buckley, a guy that comes up with some big turnovers and puts up better numbers than his coverage skills might otherwise indicate. If Hobbs and Wheatley can hold up outside, O'Neal could be that guy that poaches 5 or 6 balls and replaces Asante's big-play production.

Please don't argue the past with the PatriotsAreHorriblePatrol,Richter.....what we've ;earned is they should have won 7 Super Bowls in a row, BB is a TERRIBLE head coach and the Patriots have made the worst personnel decisions in football history the last 7 years...all bow down to the intellectually superior PatriotsPuzzyPatrol and THEIR overwhelming knowledge of the game

Forget the Brady pick that Watson ran down, the Patriots were dominating that game, if Samuel hadn't gotten boned by that awful pass interference call, the Patriots win going away. Totally changed the way the game was played, the Patriots were dictating the pace and style of play, and then were forced to play catch-up because of incompetent officiating. Your point, that they managed to improve significantly by the end of the season, in spite of some weak players, is spot on though. I have no doubt had they gotten by Denver, they would have beaten Pittsburgh handily and had an excellent chance to win another Superbowl against a solid but unspectacular Seattle team.

Yeah, I know ...... We just learn to forget. I don't think that will be the case with last year though...

Please don't argue the past with the PatriotsAreHorriblePatrol,Richter.....what we've ;earned is they should have won 7 Super Bowls in a row, BB is a TERRIBLE head coach and the Patriots have made the worst personnel decisions in football history the last 7 years...all bow down to the intellectually superior PatriotsPuzzyPatrol and THEIR overwhelming knowledge of the game

Maybe it's because I was around when the Patriots really were horrible, when we had the likes of Rod Rust in here, that it annoys me to no end that people want to crap all over what has been a dominant stretch of football that shows few signs of slowing any time soon. How anyone can say the Patriots recent drafting or free agency work has been bad is beyond me - they get a starting caliber player in the first round every year, and usually find another starter or two and quality depth along with it, then supplement it with generally solid free agents. Go take a look at some other teams and you'll really see what bad is - ask the Dolphins or Chiefs or 49ers about how they've done in recent drafts.

Yeah, I know ...... We just learn to forget. I don't think that will be the case with last year though...

Eh, I don't want to forget last year. It was a great year with a sour ending. It's still the most fun I've had as a Patriots fan sustained over the course of a season. It wasn't the extreme high of winning it all, obviously, but week after week, that was a massively entertaining team to watch. They did things we'll never see again, and did them in a way that defied convention. A Lombardi would have been the perfect ending, if you'll pardon the pun, but I can live without it - there are three others to console the fans.

drinking Schaeffer, sitting on a metal bench with my season ticket, in lightning rainstorms through 2-14 seasons has made me appreciate TODAY'S Patriot organization....egocentric know-it-all doomsayers like the "Archives" are an unneeded and unwanted addition to the fanbase.

drinking Schaeffer, sitting on a metal bench with my season ticket, in lightning rainstorms through 2-14 seasons has made me appreciate TODAY'S Patriot organization....egocentric know-it-all doomsayers like the "Archives" are an unneeded and unwanted addition to the fanbase.

Did you realize that Schaeffer is the only beer to have if your having more than one......

uh...Sullivanaeffer is NEVER the beer to have ,even if there ain't no beer to be had...but such is the folly of youth

Last edited:
Re: Deltha O'Neil to be a Pat?

Any CB who has the balls to tackle a tight end is better than Bryant.

I agree. He's tall, tough and plays press much better. Maybe that's the idea.

from scouts inc.

2008 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.
Grade: 66
Alert: None

Comment: O'Neal was benched in favor of Leon Hall during the 2007 season and it has become clear that he is no longer the playmaker he once was. However, he did acclimate to the nickel cornerback role very well and is a team player. His athletic ability is waning, but he still makes plays on the ball in front of him while showing good anticipation and ball skills. He has very good hands and rarely drops an interception that he should catch. He still shows signs of being the fast, fluid athlete he once was. He can still be hesitant and often plays scared. His route recognition is too deliberate and his reactions probably will never be top notch. He has now had two subpar seasons in a row and the end could be near for O'Neal.

from scouts inc.

2008 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.
Grade: 66
Alert: None

Comment: O'Neal was benched in favor of Leon Hall during the 2007 season and it has become clear that he is no longer the playmaker he once was. However, he did acclimate to the nickel cornerback role very well and is a team player. His athletic ability is waning, but he still makes plays on the ball in front of him while showing good anticipation and ball skills. He has very good hands and rarely drops an interception that he should catch. He still shows signs of being the fast, fluid athlete he once was. He can still be hesitant and often plays scared. His route recognition is too deliberate and his reactions probably will never be top notch. He has now had two subpar seasons in a row and the end could be near for O'Neal.

Sounds like a pretty good fit as a 4th/5th CB, I don't think anyone expects Deion Sanders.

Sounds like a pretty good fit as a 4th/5th CB, I don't think anyone expects Deion Sanders.

He's got experience, so it's easier to put him on the outside and develop the younger corners on the inside.....He starts maybe not KC, but its him and Hobbs show.

He's got experience, so it's easier to put him on the outside and develop the younger corners on the inside.....He starts maybe not KC, but its him and Hobbs show.

Honestly, I think he'll play the slot. Hobbs and Wheatley starting outside, with Wilhite and Sanders as the 4th and 5th guys.

Finding FA corners isnt BB's thing, strike one was Starks, Bryant was number 2 and Deltha will be number 3.

You are looking at the aproach wrong. He isn't going to hit on all of these in fact he will probably miss on most. But the key is risk reward. he risking virtually nothing and can be rewarded with very solid play (Poole, Buckley, more recently Poteat).

Lets examine the most recent miss, Bryant, opps BB was wrong harmed nothing and we already have another guy in to replace. This can continue until you find one that works or a young draft pick is developed. It actaully is a very smart strategy.

How can anyone get excited about this signing? He's alright for depth concerns, but if he's out there starting then we have some big time problems in the secondary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back