PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats sign Deltha O'Neal, release Spach, sign OL Bender and DeVree to practice squad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Deltha O'Neil to be a Pat?

And run the risk of losing out on the next Chad Jackson>>>> oh man, did I say that:eek:??? Me, being one of the resident Kool Aid purveyors and partaker??

Hey, they could get TWO Chad Jacksons next year. Just imagine the fun we could have. In fact I'd bet Belichick would purposely wreck their ACLs just to make sure we don't get complacent around here.

Re: Pats sign Deltha O'Neal, release Spach, sign OL Bender to practice squad

CB's are like pitchers- You can never have enough.

I don't understand the hate here. Didn't we sign like 20 FA's before the 2001 season?

Also, if the guy isn't washed up, isn't this the best place to prove it?

Re: Pats sign Deltha O'Neal, release Spach, sign OL Bender and DeVree to practice squ

The Pats generally run a lot of zone, it helps protect their CBs and Safeties. I don't think we have the horses to play a lot of man to man. As long as they defend the zone, make tackes and prevent the deep play they are doing everything asked of them.

Solid point, to which I agree. I'm less pesimistic that many here. I think O'Neil fit better for the type of D we play. He's a big-time hawk, but weaker on MtoM. Kinda like Asante in that reguard.

Re: Pats sign Deltha O'Neal, release Spach, sign OL Bender and DeVree to practice squ

Why is there a thumbs down next to this signing? It's a good signing! Everyone was moaning our lack of depth and experience at corner 24 hrs ago! Honestly people!!

Bengals run a 3-4, no? I think this puts O'Neal in a good place as a late signing.

Bengals run a 3-4, no? I think this puts O'Neal in a good place as a late signing.

I know they did at one point ( i believe with Labuea) but I am not sure they still do.

No, not really. I think they tried to at some point last year (moving Geathers to OLB), but it didn't work.

Last edited:

I know they did at one point ( i believe with Labuea) but I am not sure they still do.

Might not really matter. There are all kinds of 3-4 defenses, NE's is different from Dallas', which is different from San Diego's, etc.

Deltha O'Neal was the best available free agent CB on the market. The signing makes sense - it improves the Pats. O'Neal seemed to be in the doghouse in Cincy ever since he wanted a bigger contract after his 10 INT season. From what I've read and heard, most Bengal fans considered him to be superior to their other CB's such as David Jones, even if he wasn't starting. Don't forget that the Bengals also let Willie Anderson, Ahmad Brooks and Rudi Johnson go, and they got nothing back in return. O'Neal's being cut appears to be more of cost saving move than talent related, and that franchise is accepting a 2008 season when they are going to bottom out.

Bottom line is that signing O'Neal is a good move, it improves our secondary.

This is garbage, he's trash, better off keeping Bryant (as bas as he is). This team, what the freak are they doing ?????????????????????????

Deltha lost his "3rd CB" job to a stud named David Jones, yes a guy named David Jones. What does this tell you and we want this guy to possibly start ?

I would rather see Wheatley start and learn instead of watching a stop gap washed up vet get abused.

Im sorry which team do you GM for???

I think they know more than we do

Im sorry which team do you GM for???

I think they know more than we do

This is a message board. GM experience is not required in order to opine.

This is a message board. GM experience is not required in order to opine.

That is so true. I always chuckle to see someone stick their head under BB's coatails and say, "Gee, it sure is dark in here, but I'm sure everything is juuuust fiiiiiine".

Well it seems to me that basically what the team has done is replace Fernando Bryant with Deltha O'Neal.

Looks like a no-brainer to me, especially after watching a Giants tight end run into the end zone carrying a football in his right arm and Bryant in his left.

Like they say, "You get what you pay for".

Right... and any money we don't spend on a CB we can and will spend on other improvements. It's not like this team is going to be $20m under the cap and try to make it work.

Right... and any money we don't spend on a CB we can and will spend on other improvements. It's not like this team is going to be $20m under the cap and try to make it work.

I agree, but this conversation is about CBs and I think wrestling him away from Philly would be the best move for the Pat's CB situation. Whether it's the best move for the team as a whole is another story. If CB is the weakest position, it could be a good move. It's probably water under the bridge now anyway.

Last edited:

I agree, but this conversation is about CBs and I think wrestling him away from Philly would be the best move for the Pat's CB situation. Whether it's the best move for the team as a whole is another story. If CB is the weakest position, it could be a good move. It's probably water under the bridge now anyway.

I'll agree there. All things being equal, I would take Lito over O'Neal. Unfortunately, the cap hit and draft pick it would take is enough to sway me the other direction.

Why are we arguing? O'Neal is a good pickup and an upgrade over Bryant.

For the price...O'Neill is a good pickup...BUT

I wouldn't expect him to come in and be a consistent starting cornerback..
Unlikely to be anywhere near the same class as Samuels or Shephard.

The CB situation on the Patriots remains VERY weak.
Look at the CBs on the competitors in the EAST to measure where teh PATS are

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes