PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats sign Deltha O'Neal, release Spach, sign OL Bender and DeVree to practice squad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Pats have signed Deltha O'Neal per WEEI

LOL! I'm sure that Ocho is a little pissed off. I'd rather have him on my team than Deltha O'Neal. :D

I'd rather have an empty roster spot than Chad Johson

Re: Pats sign Deltha O'Neal, release Spach, sign OL Bender and DeVree to practice squ

Why does this get a thumbs down?

I'd rather have an empty roster spot than Chad Johson

To each his own, Andy. :)
Yes, Ocho is a little crazy, and he is most definately a character, but the guy does have skills. BB could handle him, though.:D

Last edited:

To each his own, Andy. :)
Yes, Ocho is a little crazy, and he is most definately a character, but the guy does have skills. BB could handle him, though.:D

Aren't they buddies or something? I thought I heard something about them getting along really well actually...

Aren't they buddies or something? I thought I heard something about them getting along really well actually...

I heard about that too.

Re: Pats sign Deltha O'Neal, release Spach, sign OL Bender and DeVree to practice squ

O'neal is nasty in madden though .. he always pics me off ..

Re: Deltha O'Neil to be a Pat?

I try to be realistic with any and all such signings... althought Belichick is often able to get "more" out of a veteran than other teams, at this time of the year we are quite literally talking about a player who was not selected for ANY OTHER TEAM's 53 man roster.

That doesn't mean he's not an upgrade - but nor does it mean we have a player other teams wanted.

Lets face it the need for another corner is there , they needed one..

Bryant just was not cutting it in the pre season

Lito shepard was not coming here ,

The Ty Law dance was done to many times

O neil was the right choice..

Reiss is reporting that O'Neal has signed as well; this is a solid veteran signing.

O'neal is nasty in madden though .. he always pics me off ..

Who's your QB? Favre?:D

I absolutely love this move.

Wheatly beats out Bryant and makes him expendible and earning a starting role next to Hobbs, but it would be a little scary had we gone into it with Hobbs two rookies and lewis Sanders. So now we go into the Season With Hobbs and Wheatly but in case Wheatly struggles you have a solid vet to step up. And the vet we have now IMO is better than Bryant throughout their careers.

Deltha has 31 career INTs. That is no small number. Yes he only has 2 the last 2 years but it has to be hard playing for that cincy de. After he had a 10 pic season for them why would anyone throw in his direction if the rest of the de is atrocious.

Lastly and this really means nothing but he was brothers binky in madden and he used to kill me. I would still win but without Deltha he would have no chance, for some reason he could return punts and kicks with Deltha really good.

Reiss is reporting that O'Neal has signed as well; this is a solid veteran signing.

Haha, every CB is nasty in Madden. If you don't touch the sliders, any team you control during the regular season will always lead the league in Ints. It's a quirk of the AI which drives me crazy.

Let me clarify... I'm not saying the Patriots DON'T draft well. They draft very well overall in fact, especially hitting on first round picks which I think are the most important given the financial hit you sometimes take.

My point was that between the draft and free agency, the draft is more important. You can build a great team through just the draft (Colts). You can build a great team on paper while being lousy on the field via free agency alone (Washington). Or you can do both well, balance them, and be a dynasty (Patriots).

It really depends on the year. This was a very weak free agent class. So the draft became more important. Last year, the Pats hated that draft based on all the trades they made. So they put more emphasis on free agency. I don't know if there is an exact formula.

The Colts have been very successful at building through the draft. You can't knock their strategy because it has worked, but it isn't the only strategy that works.

It really depends on the year. This was a very weak free agent class. So the draft became more important. Last year, the Pats hated that draft based on all the trades they made. So they put more emphasis on free agency. I don't know if there is an exact formula.

The Colts have been very successful at building through the draft. You can't knock their strategy because it has worked, but it isn't the only strategy that works.

Trust me, I agree. My original point was just that you don't have to hit on free agency, if you're a really smart drafting team.

I don't think the opposite is true however. Washington has shown what throwing money at free agents can do if you don't draft well, and we'll see how the Jets do this year.

Why I like O'Neal, in addition to his playmaking skills (31 career ints, 3 career TD's and 90 career PD), is that when he was benched and replaced as a starter by Leon Hall last yr he didn't sulk, like Manning Jr., what he did was act like the pro that he is and become a pretty damn good nickel CB. This guy is a team player. He has very good hands, Denver tried to make him a WR early in his career, and doesn't drops many int's. He is quick, fast and fluid with good route recognition skills. He is a ballhawk with very good anticipation skills. After a career season in 2005 (10 int's) he's come back to earth the past 2 yrs but I think the change of scenery will revive this guy, in addition to a much better overall defense.

As far as the PS signings, I like Bender (as posted here: http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?p=992156#post992156) and bet he sees the active roster at some point this season.

Deltha O'Neil=Chad Scott=Fernando Bryant=Duane Starks

it seems pretty much like a desparation signing. THis does not seem to have been planned out welll.

Lito Shephard has been out there for months.

I think this is a decent signing given what was available at CB. O'Neal is a big time ballhawk, who could make some plays for the Pats...especially with our pass rush/blitz packages forcing some quick throws. He's not a great CB overall, but he does have great hands for a CB and maybe could return punts for the Pats to save Welker a few hits.

I think Bryant is the better pure corner, I'd feel much more comfortable with Fernando in man coverage any day of the week. That said, if the Pats are playing zone, O'Neal will make a lot more plays on the ball than Fernando will.

Lito Shephard has been out there for months.

As a free agent? I must have missed that...

In the Patriots eyes (and mine), Deltha O'Neal + a draft pick > Lito Shepherd - the pick needed to get him + the extra money they'd have to pay him.

I think this is a decent signing given what was available at CB. O'Neal is a big time ballhawk, who could make some plays for the Pats...especially with our pass rush/blitz packages forcing some quick throws. He's not a great CB overall, but he does have great hands for a CB and maybe could return punts for the Pats to save Welker a few hits.

I think Bryant is the better pure corner, I'd feel much more comfortable with Fernando in man coverage any day of the week. That said, if the Pats are playing zone, O'Neal will make a lot more plays on the ball than Fernando will.

The Pats generally run a lot of zone, it helps protect their CBs and Safeties. I don't think we have the horses to play a lot of man to man. As long as they defend the zone, make tackes and prevent the deep play they are doing everything asked of them.

Re: Pats sign Deltha O'Neal, release Spach, sign OL Bender to practice squad

Time for another round of Let's Pretend...

It's the offseason. The Pats have to rebuild their CB corps, so they sign 4 vet FAs -- Bryant, Webster, Sanders and O'Neal -- and spend a couple of draft picks on the position. Both rookies look good and they choose the 2 best of the 4 vets to round out the corps. That sound ok? Pretty much, I think. Because short of shelling out megabucks for the likes of Asante (who is earning more than our entire defensive backfield), you have to roll the dice that your draft picks will come through. Luckily, CB is one position where the Pats have generally drafted very well indeed.

Good way to look at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back