PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats sign Deltha O'Neal, release Spach, sign OL Bender and DeVree to practice squad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Pats sign Deltha O'Neal, release Spach, sign OL Bender and DeVree to practice squ

Deltha O'Neal + a draft pick > Lito Shepherd - the pick needed to get him + the extra money they'd have to pay him.

100% agree. These same people would be whining if Lito was "meh" and we hit next year's draft with a missing pick.

Last edited:
Re: Pats sign Deltha O'Neal, release Spach, sign OL Bender and DeVree to practice squ

I absolutely love this move.

Wheatly beats out Bryant and makes him expendible and earning a starting role next to Hobbs, but it would be a little scary had we gone into it with Hobbs two rookies and lewis Sanders. So now we go into the Season With Hobbs and Wheatly but in case Wheatly struggles you have a solid vet to step up. And the vet we have now IMO is better than Bryant throughout their careers.

Deltha has 31 career INTs. That is no small number. Yes he only has 2 the last 2 years but it has to be hard playing for that cincy de. After he had a 10 pic season for them why would anyone throw in his direction if the rest of the de is atrocious.

Lastly and this really means nothing but he was brothers binky in madden and he used to kill me. I would still win but without Deltha he would have no chance, for some reason he could return punts and kicks with Deltha really good.

Good points:rocker: I like this signing-not sure why the negativity except that it may mean no Ty, but no surprise really based on past history.
A player like Delta could thrive here. I love picks like this:D

I'm just thrilled that somewhere, somehow, someone figured out how to clone players. While they started small and cloned Starks into 3 other players, imagine how awesome this will be for guys like Moss once they've perfected the technology. Hooray for the scientists! :rolleyes:
Deltha O'Neil=Chad Scott=Fernando Bryant=Duane Starks

it seems pretty much like a desparation signing. THis does not seem to have been planned out welll.

Lito Shephard has been out there for months.

Lito Shephard has been out there for months.

Impossible to go one way or another on Sheppard unless you know both a) what the Eagles want in a trade, or b) what Sheppard wants in a contract. Both are probably prohibitive.

Re: Deltha O'Neil to be a Pat?

here is an interesting record Deltha has

NFL record-tying four interceptions in a game against Kansas City on Oct. 7, 2001

Who do we play agian this week:D

I realize his reps will probably be limited till he is fully acclimated but still found it a little funny.

The big thing we're going to miss from Samuel is the INTs and both O'Neal and Wheatley have shown the ability over their careers (the latter in college) to get their hands on the ball and catch it. Hopefully it'll work out and O'Neal is also a very good kick returner.

Re: Pats sign Deltha O'Neal, release Spach, sign OL Bender to practice squad

Time for another round of Let's Pretend...

It's the offseason. The Pats have to rebuild their CB corps, so they sign 4 vet FAs -- Bryant, Webster, Sanders and O'Neal -- and spend a couple of draft picks on the position. Both rookies look good and they choose the 2 best of the 4 vets to round out the corps. That sound ok? Pretty much, I think. Because short of shelling out megabucks for the likes of Asante (who is earning more than our entire defensive backfield), you have to roll the dice that your draft picks will come through. Luckily, CB is one position where the Pats have generally drafted very well indeed.

well if the pats had the #31 pick last year we probably wouldn't be talking about this and no pretending.

For those violently opposed, what would you prefer they do? (Turning back the clock and convincing Asante that he really didn't want all those millions is not an option.)

Throw a second rounder at Philly for Lito Shepard.

Deltha couldn't beat out the great David Jones as a nickel back on one of the worst defenses in football. His 10 picks came 3 years ago, he followed that up with two years of regression ( 1 pick each of the last two years ) and where he lost his starting CB job and now just lost his nickel CB job on a team with a very bad defense.

If you want this as your starting CB in place of a guy like Wheatley which would serve the team better if he got the reps instead of O'Neal then all the power to you, it's not what I think is in the team's best interest.

If Deltha is coming to play the nickel, then fine........

If Deltha can't beat out the great David Jones, he shouldn't be able to beat out Wheatley right? And then if he does beat out Wheatley, what does that say about Wheatley? Just think it over chief.

I'm getting that Duane Starks feeling again.

Good points:rocker: I like this signing-not sure why the negativity except that it may mean no Ty, but no surprise really based on past history.
A player like Delta could thrive here. I love picks like this:D

I love pick ups like this too. Low risk high reward. Honestly sometimes I get the feeling that people expect everyone we sign to be a bonified number one and don't get what a solid vet like this does to the depth. They don't always work (see Bryant) but when they do they are huge (see Poole).

as I said in the post you responded to he is a great security blanket in case Wheatly struggles.

Last edited:
Re: Pats sign Deltha O'Neal,

Deltha O'Neal: wellcome to the New England Patriots

i like this sign

Throw a second rounder at Philly for Lito Shepard.

And run the risk of losing out on the next Chad Jackson>>>> oh man, did I say that:eek:??? Me, being one of the resident Kool Aid purveyors and partaker??

IIRC BB really liked him during the past Cincy games, mentioning him by name a few times in his pressers, especially before the 06 game.

:rofl: ,that means a lot !...BB gives respect to any opposing player

:rofl: ,that means a lot !...BB gives respect to any opposing player

BB gives respect to all oponents but he usually only goes out of his way to gush about guys he think really are top end talents and special players.

Edit: I must admit I am not sure of the context of his Deltha comments so I dont know if he went out of his way to praise deltha or if he was just asked a question about him.

Last edited:

Is it strange that we signed DeVree to the PS but let Spach, who made the 53 and played with the 2nd string all preseason go? Or is DeVree holding Spach's spot for 24 hours in an attempt to convince the other 31 that DeVree is better than Spach? This can't be a positive endorsement for Stupar lol [edit: just read the Bills signed Stupar to the PS, I wonder if they might take a look at Spach too?] :D

I don't think Spach is eligible for the Practice Squad ... I had Stupar going to our PS in my roster projection

I don't think Spach is eligible for the Practice Squad ... I had Stupar going to our PS in my roster projection
No he's not...and Stupar is in Buffalo..PSQs..

Deltha lost his "3rd CB" job to a stud named David Jones, yes a guy named David Jones. What does this tell you and we want this guy to possibly start ?

Agreed. Names mean everything.

Sincerely,
Tom Brady

I read on here that the secondary was fine and that people who didn't think so were panicking Sox fans. Does that mean that Belichick and Pioli fall into that category as well?

I read on here that the secondary was fine and that people who didn't think so were panicking Sox fans. Does that mean that Belichick and Pioli fall into that category as well?

A vet cb being brought in does not fall into the category of panic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots