PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats Should Keep Garoppolo Through 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
So WTF would Jimmy spend ANOTHER year sitting on the bench AND at short money simply to stay with the Pats. By any definition THAT would be wishful thinking. ;)
This this this times 100.

It amazes me how so many people think both Brady and Garoppolo are willing to bend over backwards, give up money, give up playing time, and basically allow themselves to be treated unfairly in order to do everything possible for New England.

Brady has proven he is willing to take a little less in order to help the team. However, it's a long way from that to thinking he'd be willing to take virtual league minimum so the Patriots can keep the guy who wants to kick Brady out the door before Brady wants to leave.

Garoppolo has no control until after 2017, but it is ridiculous to think that he is going to accept significantly less money to play for a team where he is the backup for at least another full year.

Garoppolo's current deal pays $3.5 million total. Unlike Brady, his next contract will lead to a major life-long lifestyle change. After 2017, he is going to want Osweiler numbers because that will push him into a completely new financial strata, not to mention he certainly wants to be a starter.

Last edited:
If it had been any other QB, I'd agree, but Brady appears to be the exception that proves the rule. And for the 3rd time in this thread, how are your pants down when you have the prospect of Brissett growing up in his system and under contract for 4 more seasons (including this one).

He certainly didn't prove he's a great QB in his one start, or even a good one, BUT he did prove that he has the poise and work ethic to become one over the next few years. So how again are our pants down.

And finally (again for the 3rd time this thread) do we get passed the logistics problem of the $40+million dollar cap number for the QB position to start the 2018 season after we have "moved on" from Brady.

Like I said maybe Miguel has a scenario where that can happen, but he hasn't put it forth yet.

lots of speculation so I will throw some of it back at you

for arguments sake, let us suppose the Pats extend Garoppolo beyond 2017 and we will use Andrew Luck's contract as an example since it is the highest cost there is (6yr / 140M with a 32M signing bonus)

2018 - 12M + 5.5M SB = 17.5M cap
2019 - 7M + 6M RB + 5.5M SB = 18.5M cap
2020 - 12M + 6M RB + 5.5M SB = 23.5M cap

I'm not going any further because the roster bonuses can be converted and a contract can be redone at this point anyway

Brady
brady28m.png

in 2018, if Brady were gone, there would 14M of dead money and using the Andrew Luck contract, the Pats would be in for 31.5M if you add in Garoppolo's salary (which would be less since he is not Andrew Luck) ...... in 2019, it's whatever Jimmy's contract is

not unworkable, and to sit here and talk on about a QB pushing 40 like there's something big to expect 3-4 years down the road is logically ridiculous

Well since this is about the fifteenth thread we've had on the same topic, I have my reponse almost memorized.

1. Brady's play has been great. He's been a top 3 QB over the last 5. Is there anyone here who can say they've seen any slippage? No, in fact there are some who think he's getting better and even smarter with age..

2. Brady's contract precludes keeping both after the 2017 season. Does it makes sense to let Jimmy go for nothing or at a decreased discounted, fire sale price, at the end of 2017. Or does it make better sense to trade him at the end of 2016 for a premium price?

3. Did Jacoby show you anything in his 6+ quarters to make you believe that with his poise and work ethic that he can't be a decent NFL QB after 2-3 more years of hard work in this offense. Some of these "keep JG" arguments might make a bit more sense if JB wasn't a rookie on the roster.

4. The Pats have a lot of cap space next year and a lot of important FA's to sign this off season. Regardless of how THAT shakes out, it will be likely that when the season starts, the Pats will likely have little cap room to manuever having Brady AND a Franchised back up.

5. The same people who are hyping Jimmy as the next great thing will be the same people who are going turn on him the moment he encounters some adversity. It's just the nature of today's fandom. Just look at Saint fans who want to dump Brees, and Packer fans who are starting to question Rodgers. Or EVEN those fans who are ready to move on from Brady after 5+ quarters from JG. If it can happen to them, just think about what it would be like here if JG had a tough stretch of games. :eek: If the GOAT can go through a four game stretch like Brady did in 2014, JG will certainly go through some tough times.

BOTTOM LINE: I haven't seen anything close to a reasonable argument for keep Jimmy past this season. The ONLY possible reason would be if Brady's play falls off a cliff THIS season, or he has a catastrophic injury during the year.

Agreed on pretty much every count. I think a lot of people don't remember what Garoppolo looked like as a rookie. He always had an extremely quick release, but that was the main asset he had going for him. Even if Garoppolo plays and plays well on Sunday, that will make a grand total of one game where a team had meaningful game tape on him and went into the game knowing he would be the starter. Historically, a lot of young QBs have looked great for up to 2 games simply because there was so little game tape to reveal their flaws. In Marcus Mariota's first two games, he had 6 TDs, 0 turnovers, and passer ratings of 158.3 (perfect) and 96.3. Over his remaining 10 starts, he surpassed an 84 passer rating twice. If Garoppolo started an entire season, he would not consistently look as good as he did week 2. It's not quite a foregone conclusion, but it's close.

Also, not to be alarmist, but the Pats' roster construction is kind of at a crossroads, and while I think Belichick has trended toward sustainability as well as he reasonably can, it's going to be a huge challenge starting next season. Collins, Butler, and Hightower all need to be paid, and what up-and-coming talent to we have moving up to replace them as cheap, high-value production? I'm optimistic about young talent like Flowers, Thuney and Mitchell, but the Patriots have nothing to show for two of the last three first rounds, and that's uncharacteristic of them. All it takes is a couple rough years where you don't get the production you're used to out of the draft. The team can tread along for a couple years, but it eventually comes home to roost and you get a roster like 2009: overly dependent on a few core veterans, and lacking the depth that the team has generally had throughout the Belichick era.

In a lot of ways, I see what the Pats did over the last 5-6 years with their roster as very similar to the roster lifecycle from 2001-2008. From 2001-2005 and 2010-2013, the Pats had unusually productive drafts, selecting multiple future good starters every year. In both cases, they continued to see the benefits of that for the next few years, as they had a surplus of premium young talent playing for cheap. But then, a few years later, all that talent starts getting their second contracts, which means you lose it or you pay it a lot more. You can tread water for a couple years (2006-2008), but if you have drafts like 2006 and 2007, you end up paying the piper with something like 2009.

In this respect, I'm just slightly worried about the team going forward after this season. We need young cheap talent to step up once talent like Butler, Hightower, Collins and Jones are no longer around, young, and cheap. The 2014 draft looked like a great candidate for this at the time, but with Easley and Stork gone that's no longer the case. 2015 is looking an awful lot like it'll be defined by Brown, Flowers, and Mason, so I'm pretty optimistic as I think that's a nice collection of talent. I'm cautiously optimistic about the 2016 class due primarily to Thuney and Mitchell, but at this point in 2006 I felt similarly good about that draft class.

Basically, the Pats need their talent pipeline to stay strong, and having one first round pick to show for the last three years is a pretty major hurdle in that respect. If Garoppolo can fetch a first round pick, especially a pick in the top half of the round, that'll a) represent a chance to fix that, and b) represent an extremely rare chance for the Pats to get access to top-half-of-the-first-round talent on a cheap rookie deal. The Pats have to manufacture these opportunities because they're never bad enough to draft in the top 25 in their own right.

Basically, for the Pats to pass up that kind of opportunity, I think they need to be awfully confident that Garoppolo is a franchise QB. And maybe they are, but if they are it's because of what they've seen in practice more than what they've seen in 1.5 starts. Plenty of mediocre QBs looked awfully good for 2 starts. So in Garoppolo you have a much younger QB than Brady, but his unknown factor is just as high as Brady's (which is age-related going forward), and he's going to be significantly more expensive than Brady after 2017, and there's a good chance that Brissett can develop into just as good a QB as Jimmy, on a timeline that's better suited to replacing Brady.

So I'm not going to claim that there's no risk in trading Jimmy, since there clearly is. Good young QBs are a huge asset. It's why he's worth trading, and it's also why he's potentially worth keeping. But frnakly, I think the risks of keeping him outweigh the risks of trading him. There's the risk that he turns out to be injury-prone, the risk that he isn't actually as good as he's looked, the risk that with more gametape he becomes easier to plan against (it's worth noting that his performance did trend downward over the course of both games he played). There's the risk that he's good but significantly overpaid, and we end up in a Joe Flacco-type situation. There's a risk that Brissett develops into just as good a player, while Jimmy never gets to anything close to Brady-level. End result: we punted on a few years of GOAT QB play to lock in 'pretty good'. There's a risk that the team around Garoppolo decays because our pipeline of first-round talent is looking pretty grim, and not enough of the mid-round guys step up and play like first rounders.

Compared to those risks, I'll gladly take whatever king's ransom a team like the Browns is willing to pay for Jimmy. They've got to be panicking a bit right now: their QB situation is a dumpster fire, they traded away the rights to what looks like the NFL's next franchise QB (Wentz), and they have all these first round picks that we all know they're just going to waste on ****ty players anyway. In any case, whatever picks we can get for Garoppolo, I'll take that and a few more years of Brady over the risks outlined above.

This this this times 100.

It amazes me how so many people think both Brady and Garoppolo are willing to bend over backwards, give up money, give up playing time, and basically allow themselves to be treated unfairly in order to do everything possible for New England.

Brady has proven he is willing to take a little less in order to help the team. However, it's a long way from that to thinking he'd be willing to take virtual league minimum so the Patriots can keep the guy who wants to kick Brady out the door before Brady wants to leave.

Garoppolo has no control until after 2017, but it is ridiculous to think that he is going to accept significantly less money to play for a team where he is the backup for at least another full year.

Garoppolo's current deal pays $3.5 million total. Unlike Brady, his next contract will lead to a major life-long lifestyle change. After 2017, he is going to want Osweiler numbers because that will push him into a completely new financial strata, not to mention he certainly wants to be a starter.

nope........after the 2017 season, you push the soon to be 42 year old QB out the door.......because a year too soon is better than a year too late

if the Jimmy we have seen in 2016 is what Jimmy is, this is a no brainer

What kind of possibilities do you envision, Tune? I'm assuming some type of lesser deal for Garoppolo where he leaves a lot of money on the table to stay here and hold the clipboard for another year or two (after his deal is up at the end of 2017)?

Even if that were to happen at say, 50% "off" the market rate (I think it's safe to assume that he'll be looking at 20m or so, based on the fact that Osweiler just snagged 18m and that would be a few years earlier), we'd still be tying up 32m dollars in cap space at the position of QB. 22m for Brady and the suggested 10m for JG.

You may have a valid point that Belichick would do that for a year in order to make a smooth transition. I would agree that he may make an exception due to the circumstances. After all, franchise QBs don't come around all that often. My concern for this would be that 1) Brady may not feel as though he's done by the end of 2018, and 2) Garoppolo may not want to leave that kind of money on the table.

Any way you look at it, this will be an important decision.

I'll take it a step further. Why on earth would Garoppolo leave that kind of money on the table for a chance to keep sitting? If Brady's still around, the only way Garoppolo's staying is under the franchise tag IMO. You don't have to read too far between the lines on his public statements to understand that he's very eager to be a starter. If the Pats don't commit to him after next season, someone else well. There's no room to be wishy washy on this, there are three realistic options here: 1) trade Garoppolo after this season, 2) franchise and trade Garoppolo for less than 1 after next season, 3) move on from Brady after next season.

to even have this discussion you need to stare the following in the face

you are discussing cutting tom brady from the new england patriots at the end of next season

imagine bob kraft and bill belichick doing that.

brady said he wants to play till he's 45 so you're either telling him to renegotiate for peanuts or waving him bye bye for his last 2-3 years if you resign jimmy.

i think that *cough, dude's earned his right to retire in a blue and silver #12 jersey on his own timeline, barring an extreme decline in skills that, lets be honest, do you really think you're going to see next year from him?

get the #1. make it a high one and pick up a #3 too. take another project at QB or some beast who'll be a key defensive player for the next five years.

My general rule of thumb when talking about a GOAT candidate: let's wait to see any decline at all before we project that he can't be a viable option for the next 3+ years.

Reasonable bad case scenario: we hang onto Brady, deal Jimmy, and Brissett or whoever's drafted after Brissett is just okay long term and no replacement for either Brady or Jimmy. Even then, Belichick can keep the team competitive until a better solution at QB emerges, and he's also shown that unlike nearly every other team in the league, he doesn't need to be picking in the top 5 to have a reasonable shot at finding a franchise QB.

If Garoppolo's actually as good as people in this thread are claiming based on 6 quarters of play, that'll mean Belichick's turned a bunch of unremarkable, so-so picks--the types of picks that you have multiple of every year--and turned them into a pair of franchise quarterbacks. At some point, you've gotta suspect that he can do it again in the future if needed, at a time that lines up with actual decline from Brady.

Brissett looked good to me and would have 2-3 more years to develop. Trade Jimmy for a kings ransom while you can. Chip Kelly will sell his soul to us after they miss out on the top 2 qb prospects.

nope........after the 2017 season, you push the soon to be 42 year old QB out the door.......because a year too soon is better than a year too late
Tom Brady will turn 41 in August of 2018. The fact that you're trying to sneak an extra year onto his age and hope no one notices shows your argument is weak.
if the Jimmy we have seen in 2016 is what Jimmy is, this is a no brainer
You're giving Garoppolo all the benefit of the doubt that he is a superstar QB while refusing to give Brady (you know, the greatest QB of all time) any benefit of the doubt whatsoever, despite the fact that there is zero evidence whatsoever that his performance will be impacted by turning 40.

It's a weak argument that relies on a great number of things we don't know and relies heavily on a whole bunch of assumptions.

Tom Brady will turn 41 in August of 2018. The fact that you're trying to sneak an extra year onto his age and hope no one notices shows your argument is weak.
You're giving Garoppolo all the benefit of the doubt that he is a superstar QB while refusing to give Brady (you know, the greatest QB of all time) any benefit of the doubt whatsoever, despite the fact that there is zero evidence whatsoever that his performance will be impacted by turning 40.

It's a weak argument that relies on a great number of things we don't know.

so what.........41.....what kind of idiot would be looking long term with a 41 year old?

same argument.........one year Manning throws for 55 TD's and the next 2 years were spent watching a wounded animal.....no thanks......a year too soon rather than a year too late.....the same principle works here too.....you sound like the type who would be the first one to complain 6 months after Garoppolo is gone and Brady comes up lame that the Pats weren't prepared

Now you're the one who is being unrealistic. After the 2o17 season, JG is looking at a big payday, I mean a REALLY big payday. So WTF would Jimmy spend ANOTHER year sitting on the bench AND at short money simply to stay with the Pats. By any definition THAT would be wishful thinking. ;)
He very well might be willing to go to the highest bidder, whoever it is, to cash in. Or, he might be willing to accept a Pats-friendly deal for ONE YEAR to stay put knowing he will be in a stable, quality program long-term and THEN cash in big-time when Brady leaves after 2018. Is that really so far-fetched to imagine happening?

He very well might be willing to go to the highest bidder, whoever it is, to cash in. Or, he might be willing to accept a Pats-friendly deal for ONE YEAR to stay put knowing he will be in a stable, quality program long-term and THEN cash in big-time when Brady leaves after 2018. Is that really so far-fetched to imagine happening?

Jimmy G. and Brady share the same agent...so if there's anyone who could facilitate this kind of deal, it's Don Yee.

Just sayin'

Agreed on pretty much every count. I think a lot of people don't remember what Garoppolo looked like as a rookie. He always had an extremely quick release, but that was the main asset he had going for him. Even if Garoppolo plays and plays well on Sunday, that will make a grand total of one game where a team had meaningful game tape on him and went into the game knowing he would be the starter. Historically, a lot of young QBs have looked great for up to 2 games simply because there was so little game tape to reveal their flaws. In Marcus Mariota's first two games, he had 6 TDs, 0 turnovers, and passer ratings of 158.3 (perfect) and 96.3. Over his remaining 10 starts, he surpassed an 84 passer rating twice. If Garoppolo started an entire season, he would not consistently look as good as he did week 2. It's not quite a foregone conclusion, but it's close.

Also, not to be alarmist, but the Pats' roster construction is kind of at a crossroads, and while I think Belichick has trended toward sustainability as well as he reasonably can, it's going to be a huge challenge starting next season. Collins, Butler, and Hightower all need to be paid, and what up-and-coming talent to we have moving up to replace them as cheap, high-value production? I'm optimistic about young talent like Flowers, Thuney and Mitchell, but the Patriots have nothing to show for two of the last three first rounds, and that's uncharacteristic of them. All it takes is a couple rough years where you don't get the production you're used to out of the draft. The team can tread along for a couple years, but it eventually comes home to roost and you get a roster like 2009: overly dependent on a few core veterans, and lacking the depth that the team has generally had throughout the Belichick era.

In a lot of ways, I see what the Pats did over the last 5-6 years with their roster as very similar to the roster lifecycle from 2001-2008. From 2001-2005 and 2010-2013, the Pats had unusually productive drafts, selecting multiple future good starters every year. In both cases, they continued to see the benefits of that for the next few years, as they had a surplus of premium young talent playing for cheap. But then, a few years later, all that talent starts getting their second contracts, which means you lose it or you pay it a lot more. You can tread water for a couple years (2006-2008), but if you have drafts like 2006 and 2007, you end up paying the piper with something like 2009.

In this respect, I'm just slightly worried about the team going forward after this season. We need young cheap talent to step up once talent like Butler, Hightower, Collins and Jones are no longer around, young, and cheap. The 2014 draft looked like a great candidate for this at the time, but with Easley and Stork gone that's no longer the case. 2015 is looking an awful lot like it'll be defined by Brown, Flowers, and Mason, so I'm pretty optimistic as I think that's a nice collection of talent. I'm cautiously optimistic about the 2016 class due primarily to Thuney and Mitchell, but at this point in 2006 I felt similarly good about that draft class.

Basically, the Pats need their talent pipeline to stay strong, and having one first round pick to show for the last three years is a pretty major hurdle in that respect. If Garoppolo can fetch a first round pick, especially a pick in the top half of the round, that'll a) represent a chance to fix that, and b) represent an extremely rare chance for the Pats to get access to top-half-of-the-first-round talent on a cheap rookie deal. The Pats have to manufacture these opportunities because they're never bad enough to draft in the top 25 in their own right.

Basically, for the Pats to pass up that kind of opportunity, I think they need to be awfully confident that Garoppolo is a franchise QB. And maybe they are, but if they are it's because of what they've seen in practice more than what they've seen in 1.5 starts. Plenty of mediocre QBs looked awfully good for 2 starts. So in Garoppolo you have a much younger QB than Brady, but his unknown factor is just as high as Brady's (which is age-related going forward), and he's going to be significantly more expensive than Brady after 2017, and there's a good chance that Brissett can develop into just as good a QB as Jimmy, on a timeline that's better suited to replacing Brady.

So I'm not going to claim that there's no risk in trading Jimmy, since there clearly is. Good young QBs are a huge asset. It's why he's worth trading, and it's also why he's potentially worth keeping. But frnakly, I think the risks of keeping him outweigh the risks of trading him. There's the risk that he turns out to be injury-prone, the risk that he isn't actually as good as he's looked, the risk that with more gametape he becomes easier to plan against (it's worth noting that his performance did trend downward over the course of both games he played). There's the risk that he's good but significantly overpaid, and we end up in a Joe Flacco-type situation. There's a risk that Brissett develops into just as good a player, while Jimmy never gets to anything close to Brady-level. End result: we punted on a few years of GOAT QB play to lock in 'pretty good'. There's a risk that the team around Garoppolo decays because our pipeline of first-round talent is looking pretty grim, and not enough of the mid-round guys step up and play like first rounders.

Compared to those risks, I'll gladly take whatever king's ransom a team like the Browns is willing to pay for Jimmy. They've got to be panicking a bit right now: their QB situation is a dumpster fire, they traded away the rights to what looks like the NFL's next franchise QB (Wentz), and they have all these first round picks that we all know they're just going to waste on ****ty players anyway. In any case, whatever picks we can get for Garoppolo, I'll take that and a few more years of Brady over the risks outlined above.

At first I liked this post but then I thought a winner was more appropriate since you took the time to put together all these scenarios. I'm among the group who is against trading Jimmy but I now understand better why some are against but even those are more on the side of "sticking with Brady because he's our savior and deserves our loyalty", you actually put together a lot of different variables in this equation and in fact the implications of these moves (Brady or Jimmy) in roster management may be the ultimate decisive factor.

Remembering 2009's defense gave me that cold feeling in the spine, I would add 2011 to that nightmare too, the whole period between 2009-2011 in terms of defense, I remember watching that SB with no confidence that that defense could get a stop, when Welker dropped the ball and the Giants had the last possession I was feeling like a guy on the death row walking to be executed, actually that should be an easier feeling to handle.

But in defense to the "Do not trade Jimmy group", even if we get a couple 1st rounders and more, even if we get the #1 overall, I don't think BB would use that to draft another QB for the future, and even so, I think BB would keep his tendency to draft a flying under the radar QB in rounds 2 or 3, QB's that he thinks can be developed to suit this system. Just another food for thought, because some may have been thinking "Well, get a 1st rounder and draft a good prospect QB in the 1st round to replace Jimmy and be the cheap backup QB and future heir for another 5 years, problem solved" , well I don't think we could get a QB as good as Jimmy is right now coming out of the draft. Even with the #1. Jimmy is looking special and fitting like a glove in this system. You have a strong point on the not too many tape on him though.

The big factor is that only BB knows his true value because he sees him everyday.

A huge part of me wants to die with Brady. We're not talking about Manning to Luck, Favre to Rodgers or Montana to Young, Brady is in a different level than even those guys. I just want to see him a Patriot until he can't walk.

It would certainly surprise me as such a deal would violate the CBA.
You have 1 team and 2 QB's who want to start. I don't see how having the same agent solves that math problem.I just don't see the fellas signing onto that.

Yeah probably not.

I'll stick with Brady either way.

I agree, but do you think the Pats should keep three QBs on the roster for another entire season?

They kept 4 QBs one season... the season they held onto 1 Tom Brady. So I don't see 3 QBs as a hardship if Garappolo is seen as the real deal by the coaching staff.

The question is tempting though. Trade JG for 1st rounder+ or hold onto him when TB12 probably won't retire for at least another 2-3 seasons.

Good post, laid out really well. And agree with most. One quibble, I don't think it's noteworthy that JG didn't sustain his pace that he started with those 2 games--he would have lead the team to like 80-90 points--that ain't happening.

Here's what I see...if Bill Belichick, in his infinite wisdom, thinks in his heart of hearts that JG is Brady 2.0, then keep him and figure it out...even if it means (and I don't want this, as explained before, I've become a Brady fanboy post-Deflategate) making a hard decision with Brady. Can't keep both.

But that's a big if, and doubt it's the case. Fingers crossed the Pats get an absolute bonanza for JG, convert that into an even greater bonanza, ride Brady until he's 44 (!) and find the next great thing in the meantime, while JG enjoys a solid, respectable career somewhere. Hell, even throw him a Super Bowl or 2, while the Pats keep on keepin' on doing their dynasty thing. Win-win.

They kept 4 QBs one season... the season they held onto 1 Tom Brady. So I don't see 3 QBs as a hardship if Garappolo is seen as the real deal by the coaching staff.

Different scenario.

same argument.........one year Manning throws for 55 TD's and the next 2 years were spent watching a wounded animal.....no thanks.....
Manning was HGH'd to the gills, then wasn't. Not comparable.

so what.........41.....what kind of idiot would be looking long term with a 41 year old?
You seem to be of the notion that just because other QBs hit the wall at 40, so will Tom Brady.

Good luck with that. Not a whole heckuva lot of people out there getting rich underestimating Brady.
same argument.........one year Manning throws for 55 TD's and the next 2 years were spent watching a wounded animal.....no thanks......
Wow. The fact that you think Brady's health is even remotely comparable to Manning's health at the same age really shows you don't have a solid grasp of what you're talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents