PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats release Leigh Bodden

Status
Not open for further replies.
They got Meriweather for pretty close to the vet minimum and they've drafted two safeties in the 3rd round the past two years. They probably just want to see what they've got.
So the Bears decided to start Meriwhether, then decided to bench and him and play him zero plays because rather than winning they are concerned about getting guys they don't know enough about on the field to see what they have? Do you realize how ridiculous that is?

Your assessment of meriweather's play while with the Patriots is absolute garbage and you should stick to talking about things you actually know about.

If Meriweather was this all-pro player like you make him out to be he would still be here. Or playing at least a snap for a Bears team that has had the more safety combinations in the league the last few seasons than anyone else.

Thanks for playing :blahblah:

Are we going to be rebuilding on defense for the next 5+ seasons?

Reiss

The news with Ras-I Dowling leaves Pats with Devin McCourty, Kyle Arrington, Antwan Molden and Phillip Adams at CB.

HAHAHA

Reiss

HAHAHA
Here is a good exercise. Name all of the Patriot teams since 2000, including the SB champs that had clearly, significantly better 3rd and 4th corners than we have today.

I've given up the attempt to rationalize the moves BB makes. It easier to just sit back and wait for the inevitable head scratchers to occur at least once or twice per season.

Last edited:
Here is a good exercise. Name all of the Patriot teams since 2000, including the SB champs that had clearly, significantly better 3rd and 4th corners than we have today.

You don't need great cornerbacks or even a deep depth if you have a dominant pass rush or solid long time veterans up front who educate those guys to a high level of performance.

Yeah,our cornerbacks were never a strong suit after Law left but there were always guys up front making plays to help the secondary,Bruschi with so many big plays,McGinest coming up with sacks and Seymour overpowering his man along with Vrabel who was a very smart and savvy OLB.

Those guys overshadowed weak cornerback play,when they all left the secondary was left to do without that help....and it's hard to regain those types of guys......man I miss that bunch.

You don't need great cornerbacks or even a deep depth if you have a dominant pass rush or solid long time veterans up front who educate those guys to a high level of performance.

Yeah,our cornerbacks were never a strong suit after Law left but there were always guys up front making plays to help the secondary,Bruschi with so many big plays,McGinest coming up with sacks and Seymour overpowering his man along with Vrabel who was a very smart and savvy OLB.

Those guys overshadowed weak cornerback play,when they all left the secondary was left to do without that help....and it's hard to regain those types of guys......man I miss that bunch.
We never had a dominant pass rush.
The point I am making is that we have always had nondescript players as nickel and dime corners. The fervor over how we can survive with JAG players as our 3rd and 4th corners is misplaced, because we have never really had anything other than JAGs or young players who were not developed in those roles.

In 2003 the Pats were 6th and 2004 3rd in sacks. I'd say that is a damn good pass rush to help the DB's.

We never had a dominant pass rush.
The point I am making is that we have always had nondescript players as nickel and dime corners. The fervor over how we can survive with JAG players as our 3rd and 4th corners is misplaced, because we have never really had anything other than JAGs or young players who were not developed in those roles.

I just think that this season with so many injuries all over the league,this team is one Arrington,Chung or McCourty IR injury away from being a secondary that can be completely destroyed by any of the other 31 teams.

Those 3 guys MUST all remain healthy or words wont describe how bad it can get.

We aren't there yet....but just an injury away from chaos.

In 2003 the Pats were 6th and 2004 3rd in sacks. I'd say that is a damn good pass rush to help the DB's.
Or coverage to help the pass rush.....or both.

I just think that this season with so many injuries all over the league,this team is one Arrington,Chung or McCourty IR injury away from being a secondary that can be completely destroyed by any of the other 31 teams.

Those 3 guys MUST all remain healthy or words wont describe how bad it can get.

We aren't there yet....but just an injury away from chaos.
Next man up.
Earthwind Moreland? Troy Brown? Artell Hawkins? Eugene Wilson? Ellis Hobbs?
The fact of the matter is that it is a team game and one player rarely has close to the importance most people want to place on him, unless it is the QB who you designate to dictate everything you do on offense if he is good, and the other team forces him to dictate everything you do on offense if he sucks.

Over the years, I've learned that when Belichick makes a move that baffles me, its generally because he has access to information I don't.

That's the case here and I have no doubt Belichick acted in the best interest of the team.

That's the case here and I have no doubt Belichick acted in the best interest of the team.

I've no doubt he acted in what he thought was the best interest of the team. He knows more about the team and the game than any of us, but I'm nervous. I hope it all works out. It's a head scratcher right now. I hope we look back on this down the line and realize it was a good move.

Over the years, I've learned that when Belichick makes a move that baffles me, its generally because he has access to information I don't.

I don't know what information he had access to that you or I didn't when he went for it on 4th and 11 instead of kicking a very make-able field goal in a SB which was a defensive struggle. Sometimes the guy just makes mistakes. Not saying this will or won't be one, but there's no guarantee it will have been in the best interest of the team.

I don't know what information he had access to that you or I didn't when he went for it on 4th and 11 instead of kicking a very make-able field goal in a SB which was a defensive struggle. Sometimes the guy just makes mistakes. Not saying this will or won't be one, but there's no guarantee it will have been in the best interest of the team.
If your standard is infallible you might was well pull the covers over your head and stay there until they come to take you away.
I don't know how whether to go for a 4th down or kick a long FG equates to making a decision about whether a guy you have been relying on now is detrimental to what you want to accomplish with your team.

Curran and Gasper both mentioned Bodden was a locker room cancer/clubhouse lawyer and BB wanted to preserve the team, which is coming together and improving. Thats what i heard them saying on the radio Friday.

If your standard is infallible you might was well pull the covers over your head and stay there until they come to take you away.
I don't know how whether to go for a 4th down or kick a long FG equates to making a decision about whether a guy you have been relying on now is detrimental to what you want to accomplish with your team.

Where did I say my standard was infallible? I said that BB makes mistakes sometimes, I guess that automatically means I want him fired and someone else brought in.

I don't know what information he had access to that you or I didn't when he went for it on 4th and 11 instead of kicking a very make-able field goal in a SB which was a defensive struggle.

Well, he had the advantage of watching Gostkowski in practice all week and all of his warmups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe