PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats need to sign Deion Branch NOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.
scott99 said:
I know I'm going to sound old fashioned, but I think players should honor EXISTING contracts. The ownership didn't hold back any of his pay during his contract years, so he should act likewise (show up to all meetings, minicamps, etc). I remember my favorite hockey team (NY Islanders) used to dump anyone who held out, even if it was one day, one hour, whatever. I used to love that, you hold out, and your gone. I wish owners would do the same thing.

Maybe Branch is unhappy that things aren't moving along as far as a new contract, but he knows he has the Pats by the marbles, being their only good receiver at this point. I have lost some respect for him.

Best case scenerio, he only holds out for this camp only, which I believe isn't mandatory, and shows up at all other mandatory functions.

Worst case scenerio, he holds out deep into camp, signs late, and then gets hurt because of poor conditioning due to holding out.

I agree with you to an extent but do many of us blame Seymour for holding out? I'm not saying Branch is as good or even that his contract is as bad but there is definitly an underlying issue of value at play here. Branch is one of the better receivers in the league and hes played for change for how many years now? 4?

You simply can't underpay the best players on your team forever. They didn't let it happen to Brady or Seymour. If we expect a player to be reasonable with his contract demands then the organization has to be reasonable with the value they asses a player at and how much he is worth to the team. I think Branch deserves to be rewarded for his efforts now too. Unfortunately I am assuming both sides are being reasonable with negotiations...if they aren't then I suppose you can throw my idealistic conceptions out the window.

Last edited:
kierkegaard said:
I agree with you to an extent but do many of us blame Seymour for holding out? I'm not saying Branch is as good or even that his contract is as bad but there is definitly an underlying issue of value at play here. Branch is one of the better receivers in the league and hes played for change for how many years now? 4?.

I agree Branch has been playing for pennies the past two years but that doesn't mean they should overpay him now to make up for it. Furthermore Branch signed the contract, therefore agreeing to the amount of money he was to be paid. But this is a whole new ball of wax so I digress...Anyway Branch is not able to beat double coverage, has durability issues, and often has trouble against more physical secondaries (notice how he disappeared in the Denver and Carolina games.) Branch is a marginal #1 or #2 so it is crazy to think he should be paid like a pro bowler, no matter how much we like him.

PATSNUTme said:
It does seem as if THEARCHIVES has refrained from giving tightness opinions lately.

When I first saw 'Geocaching" it thought it was like "snipe" hunting.

Anyway, my fondest memory of fishing is when a bunch of us guy rented a camp up in Eutis for 3 days. The trout were jusping all over the place but would not bite on anything. We even tried the old standbye- night crawlers. Nope!

We got so drunk over those three days it's a wonder that someone didn't fall in and drown. The worst drunk I've ever been on. That is what slow fishing will do you you. Hell we even we on a roady to some small Canadian town.

I won't comment anymore about that trip.
Dunno why it is, but I always think of "injun" briefs whenever THE HIVES fanclub gets on your tightness diatribe... Um, Nut, your reticence about Canadian fishing trips doesn't relate to a nickname like "barrel boy" or some such does it? :rolleyes:

zippo59 said:
I agree Branch has been playing for pennies the past two years but that doesn't mean they should overpay him now to make up for it.

I agree. I also think it's worth noting that, while Branch's production has outdone his contract, the Patriots drafted him earlier than anyone expected - he got more than he likely would have otherwise. Now I'm not saying this means he "owes" the Patriots anything, just that he needs to have a little perspective.

So far I don't want to judge #83 - he hasn't really done anything "wrong." But if he holds out during MANDATORY OTA, then I will be as pi$$ed at him as I was at Seymour last year. It's a bad move. The majority of fans will not like it. We root for the laundry and side with Beioli.

If Branch wants 12 M in guarantees, how much will his total contract be worth and what did Givens get as a whole in comparison?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back