PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats mistake

:noidea:

I wasn't the one claiming he dominated in the SEC, so you can take it up with that poster. I was just responding to a claim that, in the big picture, was pretty irrelevant in the first place, since success in college doesn't mean success in the NFL.

No prob. I just hate the "They haven't done it in the SEC mentality." There are many great players from all over the country. And, many busts from all over the country.

To defend Mallett, they should have won the bowl game vs. Ohio State. Mallett's wr's dropped too many passes in that game that totally killed them.

My point is why didn't BB show case this guy or get him some playing time? The Rams game for example why not play the guy in a blow out? It would have been a win, win for the Pats. 1st get Mallett some playing time in a real NFL game not preseason which is overrated at best. 2nd it he looks good then you compare him to the guys coming out this year and you would see that he was a far better college player than any of these stiffs and he played against top notch college players. 3rd he has spend two years in a NFL weight room and in a winning NFL program.

Today I read on rotoworld that Peter King thinks Barkley possibly goes in the top ten. I watched NFL network and the former coaches and GM's question his arm strength and do not think he worthy of a top ten selection or even in the first round.

Another key point is that the Pats think Mallett is far more advanced at this point in his career than Cassel was at the same point. Chiefs were willing to trade a 1st round pick for him but for some weird reason BB wanted a 2nd.

To defend Mallett, they should have won the bowl game vs. Ohio State. Mallett's wr's dropped too many passes in that game that totally killed them.

My point is why didn't BB show case this guy or get him some playing time? The Rams game for example why not play the guy in a blow out? It would have been a win, win for the Pats. 1st get Mallett some playing time in a real NFL game not preseason which is overrated at best. 2nd it he looks good then you compare him to the guys coming out this year and you would see that he was a far better college player than any of these stiffs and he played against top notch college players. 3rd he has spend two years in a NFL weight room and in a winning NFL program.

Today I read on rotoworld that Peter King thinks Barkley possibly goes in the top ten. I watched NFL network and the former coaches and GM's question his arm strength and do not think he worthy of a top ten selection or even in the first round.

Another key point is that the Pats think Mallett is far more advanced at this point in his career than Cassel was at the same point. Chiefs were willing to trade a 1st round pick for him but for some weird reason BB wanted a 2nd.

I think we can all agree that Brady doesn't need to play so much in blowouts. But it is what it is, whether it be Belichick playing until all zeroes, a "nobody is greater than the team" mentality, or Brady refusing to exit.

Don't worry about what anybody says between now and the draft. GMs will badmouth everybody they want to draft, and praise everybody they don't. History suggests Barkley will be in the top half of the first round, and I think it's all but certain he doesn't last until the 2nd.

The Chiefs weren't willing to trade a 1st round pick for Cassel, which I believe was #3 overall. Cassel was on the market for weeks, and KC offered #34 for Cassel and Vrabel. After that trade was announced, Denver made it known they would've given a first. If so, what were they waiting for? I suspect it was McDaniels building in an excuse for himself if his QB situation went to pot. Although he succeeded in pissing off Cutler to the extent where a trade was inevitable. Just bad situation management, unless McDaniels's goal was to parlay Cutler into picks all along and just got caught standing without a chair because he was too slow in completing a Cutler trade.

I think you're conflating things.

There were rumors of a three-way trade that would have netted the Patriots Denver's first-rounder, but I can't remember anything that suggests the Chiefs were willing to part with a top-10 pick for Cassel (I could fathom that something like Cassel + the Pats' first for the Chiefs' first might have happened, but even that would be a stretch).

The Chiefs weren't willing to trade a 1st round pick for Cassel, which I believe was #3 overall. Cassel was on the market for weeks, and KC offered #34 for Cassel and Vrabel. After that trade was announced, Denver made it known they would've given a first. If so, what were they waiting for? I suspect it was McDaniels building in an excuse for himself if his QB situation went to pot. Although he succeeded in pissing off Cutler to the extent where a trade was inevitable. Just bad situation management, unless McDaniels's goal was to parlay Cutler into picks all along and just got caught standing without a chair because he was too slow in completing a Cutler trade.

Fortunately or unfortunately, McDaniels ended up getting more for Cutler than he would have had the three-way trade gone through.

Wasn't TB in on Cassel too. Missed a phone call or something weird like that.

Dominate? How many SEC titles did he lead his team to?

He's an inconsistent, big-armed, slow-reading, struggles-under-pressure, statuesque QB who's looked lousy in limited action. You can buy them at the grocery story for a dime a dozen. He was a third round pick in a year where Blaine Gabbert was picked in the first.

"Inconsistent"? In what sense? 60% completions, 9.2 Y/A, 62 TDs/19 Ints at Arkansas.

"slow reading"? -- Is that your expert assessment doctor? Or are you just lumping him in with Bledsoe cause they are both tall and have strong arms? "struggles under pressure" -- Who doesn't? Hit Tommy in the mouth and he struggles too.

"Statuesque"? -- Same thing they said about Brady coming out of Michigan. Mallett is slow but moves well in the pocket, like Brady.

From all accounts, Mallett was the Pats top-rated QB, so congrats that you and Jacksonville have similar views on personnel, but he was highly rated by the Pats, who used a high pick on him even though they already had Brady and a good looking backup in Hoyer.

"Inconsistent"? In what sense? 60% completions, 9.2 Y/A, 62 TDs/19 Ints at Arkansas.

"slow reading"? -- Is that your expert assessment doctor? Or are you just lumping him in with Bledsoe cause they are both tall and have strong arms? "struggles under pressure" -- Who doesn't? Hit Tommy in the mouth and he struggles too.

"Statuesque"? -- Same thing they said about Brady coming out of Michigan. Mallett is slow but moves well in the pocket, like Brady.

From all accounts, Mallett was the Pats top-rated QB, so congrats that you and Jacksonville have similar views on personnel, but he was highly rated by the Pats, who used a high pick on him even though they already had Brady and a good looking backup in Hoyer.

We can have a rational discussion, or you can play word games by ignoring common usage, make attacks on me about assessments that are widely held about the kid as if I'm the only one who's noted them and, in general, keep acting as if the kid's your brother.

The reality is that, as his draft reports acknowledged, the kid's red flags for on field play included:

issues with handling pressure
issues with consistency of play
issues with struggling to read his progressions
issues with movement/speed

And I'm not sure why disagreeing with the team that drafted O'Connell is supposed to be some form of insult in your mind.

Fortunately or unfortunately, McDaniels ended up getting more for Cutler than he would have had the three-way trade gone through.

Possibly. I assume you mean that if he acquired Cassel, than teams would have low-balled him knowing that he had to trade Cutler. I don't know though. Chicago was pretty desperate for a QB, and other teams, Kansas City, maybe Washington, figure to have been very interested also. Cutler had a Superstar-in-waiting reputation at that time.

I think you're conflating things.

There were rumors of a three-way trade that would have netted the Patriots Denver's first-rounder, but I can't remember anything that suggests the Chiefs were willing to part with a top-10 pick for Cassel (I could fathom that something like Cassel + the Pats' first for the Chiefs' first might have happened, but even that would be a stretch).

The reason why there was talk of a 1st was two players involved. You had Vrable in this trade that's why there was a talk of a 1st. Pats did not want to pay the money for a top pick at the time.

The reason why there was talk of a 1st was two players involved. You had Vrable in this trade that's why there was a talk of a 1st. Pats did not want to pay the money for a top pick at the time.

There is no way BB would've taken a 2nd if offered a first. He's not dumb. If he didn't want to pay a top 5 salary, he would've traded down, traded down, and traded down some more.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back