PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats' last 3 freshman classes

Status
Not open for further replies.
He says, laying on the ground kicking his feet and pounding his fists into the ground.

Wow, just wow.

That's quite an imagination you have.

I take nothing on this board seriously, especially these ridiculous battles and people who drop their gloves at the first hint of disagreement.

So maybe learn what sarcasm is and have a nice day.

Be sure to get in the last word as I know you will.

I think a good way to look at this is to evaluate the roster under contract in a 3 year window (can't really plan much beyond that). Including 2012 in that window, we need to look at the roster under contract for 2014. Not next year, but the year after that.

Offense (15)
QB Brady, Mallett
RB Ridley, Vereen, Bolden, Demps
WR Lloyd
TE Gronkowski, Hernandez, Fells
OT Solder, Cannon, Zusevics
OG/C Mankins, Connolly

Defense (11)
DT Wilfork
DE Jones, Francis, Bequette
LB Mayo, Hightower
CB Dennard, Dowling
S McCourty, Gregory, Wilson

ST (3)
ST Gostkowski, Slater, Ebner

It is pretty amazing that the Pats could field a team and be championship caliber with just players under contract 2 years in the future. I believe they would also have enough cap space ($20M+) if they want to re-sign some of Welker, Edelman, Woody, Vollmer, Talib, Spikes, Ninko, etc. and/or add some mid-level FAs.

Add to that 6 day 1/2 draft picks and the next few peak-Brady years are indeed bright. When you consider that the only key player on this roster that will consider retirement by 2014 is Branch, the Pats really have reset the entire team before our eyes while staying a Super Bowl favorite.

Wow, just wow.

That's quite an imagination you have.

I take nothing on this board seriously, especially these ridiculous battles and people who drop their gloves at the first hint of disagreement.

So maybe learn what sarcasm is and have a nice day.

Be sure to get in the last word as I know you will.

The last word:D

The rookie poll got me thinking about the last 3 "freshman" classes (drafts and UDFAs) for the Pats.

2010:
McCourty (B+)
Gronk (A+)
Cunningham (C+, but improved his grade this year)
Spikes (B+)
Price (F)
Hernandez (A-)
Mesko (A-)
Larsen (??)
Welch (F)
Deaderick (B-)
Weston (F)
Robinson (F)
Fletcher (C+) as UDFA contributor; expect more in 2013
Love (B+)

2011:
Solder (A)
Dowling (INC so far, but who knows)
Vereen (B-, skeptical about A- potential)
Ridley (A)
Mallett (C...what do you expect, he was drafted to be a backup)
Cannon (B-)
Smith (F)
Carter (F)
Williams (D-)
Silvestro (F)
Tarpinian (C-)

2012:
Jones (A)
Hightower (A-)
Wilson (C)
Bequette (D) this Pats homo remains hopeful
Ebner (C)
Dennard (A)
Ebert (F)
Boldin (B)
Forston (D)
Francis (B)
Demps (INC)

BOLD indicates grade change
Great picks given draft position

Last edited:
I would add Rivera (ST) and McDonald (2014 RFA).

This analysis makes it clear that the top needs for 2013 are at WR and CB. We need to re-sign or replace Welker, Talib, Edelman, Arrington, Branch and Cole.

While the need at DL is also highlighted, I would note that Ninkovich, Deaderick, Love and Cunningham are signed for 2013 (also Spikes). I presume that at least one will on the team in 2014, probably more than one.

I think a good way to look at this is to evaluate the roster under contract in a 3 year window (can't really plan much beyond that). Including 2012 in that window, we need to look at the roster under contract for 2014. Not next year, but the year after that.

Offense (15)
QB Brady, Mallett
RB Ridley, Vereen, Bolden, Demps
WR Lloyd
TE Gronkowski, Hernandez, Fells
OT Solder, Cannon, Zusevics
OG/C Mankins, Connolly

Defense (11)
DT Wilfork
DE Jones, Francis, Bequette
LB Mayo, Hightower
CB Dennard, Dowling
S McCourty, Gregory, Wilson

ST (3)
ST Gostkowski, Slater, Ebner

It is pretty amazing that the Pats could field a team and be championship caliber with just players under contract 2 years in the future. I believe they would also have enough cap space ($20M+) if they want to re-sign some of Welker, Edelman, Woody, Vollmer, Talib, Spikes, Ninko, etc. and/or add some mid-level FAs.

Add to that 6 day 1/2 draft picks and the next few peak-Brady years are indeed bright. When you consider that the only key player on this roster that will consider retirement by 2014 is Branch, the Pats really have reset the entire team before our eyes while staying a Super Bowl favorite.

The good news is that regardless whether its due to great skill, or blind luck, there is no denying the Pats have had 3 tremendous drafts in a row. The bad news is that because the Pats have had 3 tremendous drafts in a row, over the next 3 years a large number of players will start to reach FA.

For the next few years it is likely the cap is NOT going to rise significantly. The league has mortgaged some of the TV revenue gains to artificially keep the cap where it is the last few years, and with pretty much every porta-potty in the league with a sponsor, its gonna be a while before we see a significant jump.

So with Brady at $21MM and the big 3 FA's looking at a MINIMUM of $27MM combined, there are some serious long term determinations that are going to have to be made. EVERYONE wants Welker, Talib and Volmer back, but the looming presence of these 3 great draft classes. plus the ever increasing cap hits from the Gronk/Hernandez deals are going to weigh heavily on what we can offer these FA's and who we resign

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/942106-predict-one-bold-stat-patriot-player-2012-a-page6.html#post3136257

Speaking of young players....... The much maligned (at the beginning of the year) Mr. McCourty backed up my "bold prediction". Thanks Devin!

Wow, didn't realize he led the conference (OK, tied). Not a big number, and the NFC had the top 8 spots; you'd think with Sanchez and Luck in their conference the AFC would have more guys at the top!

We need to consider 2014 and 2015 caps when we consider re-signs and free agency this year. For me, Talib is by far our highest priority. We may (or may not) be able to squeeze Welker in before we see the effects of Hernandez and Gronkowski.

The good news is that regardless whether its due to great skill, or blind luck, there is no denying the Pats have had 3 tremendous drafts in a row. The bad news is that because the Pats have had 3 tremendous drafts in a row, over the next 3 years a large number of players will start to reach FA.

For the next few years it is likely the cap is NOT going to rise significantly. The league has mortgaged some of the TV revenue gains to artificially keep the cap where it is the last few years, and with pretty much every porta-potty in the league with a sponsor, its gonna be a while before we see a significant jump.

So with Brady at $21MM and the big 3 FA's looking at a MINIMUM of $27MM combined, there are some serious long term determinations that are going to have to be made. EVERYONE wants Welker, Talib and Volmer back, but the looming presence of these 3 great draft classes. plus the ever increasing cap hits from the Gronk/Hernandez deals are going to weigh heavily on what we can offer these FA's and who we resign

And the biggest issue with all three is their ability to be healthy enough going forward to be worth the investment.

Tough decisions loom for the Pats.

Randomness plays a much bigger role in our lives and the lives of successful people than we are willing to admit. We are inclined to prefer cause and effect narratives. A lot of statistical, psychological and economic research in the past two decades has shown this.

However, that is not to say that there are no differences in talent in any field, including pro football GMs.

We need to consider 2014 and 2015 caps when we consider re-signs and free agency this year. For me, Talib is by far our highest priority. We may (or may not) be able to squeeze Welker in before we see the effects of Hernandez and Gronkowski.

Welker is much more important to this team than Talib. It isnt even close.

I would add Rivera (ST) and McDonald (2014 RFA).

This analysis makes it clear that the top needs for 2013 are at WR and CB. We need to re-sign or replace Welker, Talib, Edelman, Arrington, Branch and Cole.

While the need at DL is also highlighted, I would note that Ninkovich, Deaderick, Love and Cunningham are signed for 2013 (also Spikes). I presume that at least one will on the team in 2014, probably more than one.

Without venturing into the draft forum, here is my take on the 2013 draft class:

QB Box of Chocolates
RB Dumpster Fire
WR 12+ deep with prospects still around day 3
TE Yawn
OT If you need an immediate starter, get a FA
OG/C Top-heavy with a handful of studs
DT Deep and strong if all the juniors declare
DE A few elites and then questions
LB Some good inside guys but nothing outside
CB Deep but no sure things
S Lots of different types, but flaws abound

So my thinking would be to go DT/CB with the first 2 picks and then get a WR that slides into rounds 3 or 4. Be ready if one of the interior OL or rush end guys slide into value range. Looks to me like need and opportunity will align fairly well for the Pats in the 2013 draft.

If you believe that we should sign a 5 year high cap contract with Welker instead of with Talib, then you are certainly entitled to your opinion.

Welker is much more important to this team than Talib. It isnt even close.

Without venturing into the draft forum, here is my take on the 2013 draft class:

RB Dumpster Fire

For the record, is this your way of saying "Do not want?"

Can I ask some general philosophical questions about grading draft picks/UDFAs?

- How much are you taking draft position or cost/benefit ratio into effect?
It seems inconsistent in the original post. If you look at, say, the near-equal grades for Brandon Bolden and Devin McCourty, clearly draft cost is being taken into account to some degree. But how much? Is Aaron Hernandez just an A- for a 4th rounder? Do you really give the team just a B- for finding Brandon Deaderick at the end of the 7th?

- For late-round/UDFAs players, does the fact of a player losing a numbers game and getting cut necessarily mean the draft pick gets an "F," as the OP had it?
For instance, practice player Malcolm Williams is given a higher grade than multi-year starter Ted Larsen. In essence, Williams is rated higher because he was underwhelming enough to clear waivers to the PS, while Larsen was good enough to be claimed by another team!

Vereen (B-, but with A- potential)

Being a high draft pick does not mean you have potential. I mean there is a perception that he has this high ceiling b/c he was drafted high. Well, the truth is three undrafted guys have been ahead of him on the depth chart since he was here.

How has Ebert earned a B?

Better grade than Francis, no less.

I'd dispute a few (Vereen as a B- seems a bit high even, at this point) but overall I think the OP is right on point. The Pats are an elite team largely based on the contributions of their last three draft classes. This is how teams build sustained success in the NFL.

QB Box of Chocolates
RB Dumpster Fire
WR 12+ deep with prospects still around day 3
TE Yawn
OT If you need an immediate starter, get a FA
OG/C Top-heavy with a handful of studs
DT Deep and strong if all the juniors declare
DE A few elites and then questions
LB Some good inside guys but nothing outside
CB Deep but no sure things
S Lots of different types, but flaws abound

So my thinking would be to go DT/CB with the first 2 picks and then get a WR that slides into rounds 3 or 4. Be ready if one of the interior OL or rush end guys slide into value range. Looks to me like need and opportunity will align fairly well for the Pats in the 2013 draft.

I'd like to see:
S
CB
interior OL
WR
DT

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes