PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

"Pats just doing what Colts did"

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVN

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
http://www.jaguars.com/news/article.aspx?id=6434

Andy from Palm Coast, FL: I was wondering where you stand on this new debate that the Patriots are running up too many points. My opinion is that the job of the offense is to move the ball down the field in the most efficient way and get it into the end zone. If you don't, you have failed your task. What do the critics want the Pats to do, take a knee once they are ahead by a certain number of points? Maybe we should just end the game at that point. Or better yet, give the opposing team the same points the Patriots get on each score.
Vic: Why weren’t there complaints in 2004 when the Colts were running up the score on teams? During one stretch, the Colts scored 49, 41, 41 and 51 points in consecutive games. They scored more than 40 points six times that season before their season ended when they scored only three points against New England in the AFC title game. Peyton Manning set a record with 49 touchdown passes that season and it was obvious he was going for the record at the expense of his opponents’ dignity late in games. I remember watching a 41-9 win over Detroit on Thanksgiving Day and thinking to myself, “Those poor Lions,” yet, I don’t remember reading one word of criticism that the Colts were running up scores. In fact, it seemed as though most media and fans were cheering Manning’s every touchdown pass as he closed on the record. So why isn’t it that way for Tom Brady and the Patriots? I’d rather they not run up the score because I don’t find blowouts the least bit entertaining and statistics mean very little to me, but what’s good for one should be good for everyone, right? I can tell you this, that’s why Bill Belichick is doing this. He wants it all; the Super Bowls, the stats, the records, everything. When the Patriots’ run is complete, and it will end some day, Belichick wants there to be no doubt who the best team, the best quarterback and the best coach are"

"He wants it all; the Super Bowls, the stats, the records, everything. When the Patriots’ run is complete, and it will end some day, Belichick wants there to be no doubt who the best team, the best quarterback and the best coach are"
________

Wow. I guess he ISN'T interested in the NY Giants job?.

The reason that manning and the colts were praised in '04 for blowouts is because the media was desperate for a team that would challenge the Pats. Do you remember all the "peyton deserves to win super bowl this year, look he's the most dominant passer the league has ever had" crap coming out of the media that year. It was akin to a backhanded dissing of brady, and after the pats destroyed the colts in that afc title game (running the pats record w/brady v the colts to 6-0), all the blowouts and the TD record seemed hollow to the media and it growing disdain for the pats.

fast forward to '07, the pats are perceived as the favorite again..... just like 2004. While its heartwarming to root for the underdog, the media views it as heartless to root for the favorite.

The reason that manning and the colts were praised in '04 for blowouts is because the media was desperate for a team that would challenge the Pats. Do you remember all the "peyton deserves to win super bowl this year, look he's the most dominant passer the league has ever had" crap coming out of the media that year. It was akin to a backhanded dissing of brady, and after the pats destroyed the colts in that afc title game (running the pats record w/brady v the colts to 6-0), all the blowouts and the TD record seemed hollow to the media and it growing disdain for the pats.

fast forward to '07, the pats are perceived as the favorite again..... just like 2004. While its heartwarming to root for the underdog, the media views it as heartless to root for the favorite.

I would love love loooove to see a 16-0 season out of the Pats. Just a stinking shame you guys have to play my boys this weekend.

No one would be complaining about the Pats running up the score had they not called a running play to score a TD on 4th down with 15 seconds to go against Dallas. I didnt see what was done against the 'Fins as running it up but the Dallas call was a bit much.

No one would be complaining about the Pats running up the score had they not called a running play to score a TD on 4th down with 15 seconds to go against Dallas. I didnt see what was done against the 'Fins as running it up but the Dallas call was a bit much.

Should they have passed it? Kicked a field goal? I am so confused about which would be most sportsmanlike.

Should they have passed it? Kicked a field goal? I am so confused about which would be most sportsmanlike.
What's there to be confused about? The game was over either way so why not just down the ball? Of course no one is obligated to do that (or even care about being called a good sport) but it's what usually happens in such a situation.

i think he was supposed to say "HIke" and then hand the ball to Ware. Atleast thats what Cowboy fans say.

What's there to be confused about? The game was over either way so why not just down the ball? Of course no one is obligated to do that (or even care about being called a good sport) but it's what usually happens in such a situation.

Like it has been said, you will rarely, rarely see a team kneel the ball when said kneeling does not run out the clock (too much time left, other team has a timeout). If Dallas hadnt called a timeout, they very well couldve ended the game on kneel downs.

If you Down the ball the cowboys get the ball back.
Incase you don't know, this is stupid, you don't do this, it's not what is usually done.

If you Down the ball the cowboys get the ball back.
Incase you don't know, this is stupid, you don't do this, it's not what is usually done.
We're not talking about playing Madden against your 7 year old brother in the basement. Up 2 scores with 15 seconds left and the ball inside the opponents 5 yard line this is indeed what usually happens in the real NFL.

We're not talking about playing Madden against your 7 year old brother in the basement. Up 2 scores with 15 seconds left and the ball inside the opponents 5 yard line this is indeed what usually happens in the real NFL.

Really? - show us the last time when a team took a knee to turn the ball over.

Last edited:
What's there to be confused about? The game was over either way so why not just down the ball?
Dallas called timeouts on that drive until they ran out. If the Patriots had downed the ball, they would have had to have given it to Dallas.

Don't call timeouts and then whine about running up the score.

That's just not true. When a team can end the game by taking a knee, that is usually what they do. But if they can't run out the clock by kneeling, they usually just do power runs up the middle.

Thanks to the fact that Dallas called their final time out on that drive the Patriots could not run out the clock. You make it sound like they faked a FG or something like that. All they did was run it up the gut.

Last edited:
As Ditka, Johnson and Parcells said, if you don't want a team to run up the score, stop them from scoring.

As Ditka, Johnson and Parcells said, if you don't want a team to run up the score, stop them from scoring.

Exactly what i was thinking. If they were a better football team, they could stop them themselves. "Oh im sorry Mr. Stock broker, please do not invest so well and make that much money!"

Lol...you know you are on top when all this useless crap gets dug up and thrown at you. People just see the score but do not make the extra effort to see that Phllips called multiple timeouts to stop the clock, or that we had our 4th string RB in...etc etc. People are looking for whatever ammo they can find to try and take the Pats down...really pathetic.

Last edited:

This is a completely assinine statement. If the Patriots take a knee on 4th down they give the ball back to the Cowboys. How is that "what usually happens in such a situation?" I have never, ever seen a team take a Knee that would cause a turnover. The clock stops on turnovers, so a turnover on downs stops the clock and gives the ball back to Dallas. Do you think at that Point Dallas would have taken a knee? NO F'ing way. Why in hell should we have to put our defense back on the field if Dallas cannot stop our offense?

The fact is Dallas called a timeout with less than two minutes which caused the Patriots not to be able to take a Knee and run out the clock. If Dallas is still trying to get the ball back with 1:40 left, how the hell is it running up the score by running the ball 1:20 later? Dallas had the opportunity to stop the pats from scoring by not calling that time out and just letting the game end. They did'nt do that, and they couldnt stop our 4th string running back. They deserved to be scored on.

Teams generally aren't in the habit of turning the ball over on purpose.

The only time you kneel is when you can take the clock down to zero. this scenario became impossible when Phillips' called a timeout. The Pats scoring in that situation was entirely Wade's doing.

I love the fact that everyone now hates the Patriots. We as Patriots fans should feel very good about the fact that the players are hearing this and are probably twice as fired up as we are. This whole season is a statement for the Pats! It's not about any individual game, it is about running the table to the Lombardi Trophy. All the while having our collective middle fingers extended to those who live in glass houses and have made the decision to throw stones. Tony Dungy's turn comes in 9 days. I hope Belichick has the stones to run it up on the Colts. Dungy can take his Barry Bonds comments and wipe his ass with them...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST