PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats intrested in Asomugha?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man...him, Hobbs, Wheatley/Wilhite...that could be a sick secondary!:eek:

That would be quite a turnaround from this year if everything keeps trending upward for the guys we already have.

Hobbs, Wheatley, Wilhite, Meri - looking at that, I don't really think they'll try to hard for a high-priced FA. Wilhite is improving and Wheatley definitely showed signs of awesome potential. Hobbs is solid and his KR skills are way important. He'll likely improve as he faces competition internally, as well.

I'd rather see them draft another CB and chase a few more LB's.

Mayo/Guyton/AD and a possibly rehabbed rotational Rosie?

If the Patriots franchise Cassel, Cassel gets a one year $14 million dollar contract. (that is Brady/Peyton money)

Patriots now trade Cassel, new team has a one year $14 million dollar contract.

Puts Cassel in a very good bargaining position. He has $14 million in guaranteed money. Why would you give up a one year $14 million dollar deal for a $25 million dollar five year deal with only $12 million of it guaranteed?

Why? Because Cassel goes back to being an RFA after the 2009 season unless there is a new CBA. That's why.

Also, Cassel knows that on the open market he's not worth a Tom Brady/Peyton Manning type contract. So, the reality is that, if Cassel is franchised, he knows he's going to get traded. And he knows its in his best interest to get a 3-4 year deal that totals in the neighborhood of 21-30 million with at least 12 guaranteed. That is long term security because he'll be affordable at about 7 million a year. Not the $5 million BS you were talking about that you just pulled out of your arse.

Instead of trying to shoot every damn thing down just because, how about opening your eyes to everything that is going on?

One last thing. I suggest you go back and read some of the articles about agent involvement during the last CBA. Tom Condon was very much involved in it because he was a very good friend of Gene Upshaw. And it was noted that Condon pushed for the NFLPA to reject many of the things that the Patriots ownership supported during the last CBA.

Last edited:
Maybe true, but ultimately it doesn't matter what Condon thinks of the Patriots - he is an employee of Asomugha now. Whatever Asomugha wants, he has to go out and get.

Again, I point you to other players both in the NFL and in other sports leagues who have been conned by their agents. Condon is not above not fully disclosing information that is to his benefit. He's gone so in the past.

Unless Asomugha is IN THE ROOM for every part of the negotiation, which isn't likely, Condon can keep him from going to the Pats with misinformation and non-information.

Why? Because Cassel goes back to being an RFA after the 2009 season unless there is a new CBA. That's why.

Except that, as Miguel noted, the absolute minimum tender for an RFA has to be at least 110% of their previous year's salary. If he plays under the franchise tag at, say, $14M, the 2010 RFA tender would have to be $15.4M. So a team that signs him would have no incentive to have him stay under the tag.

Last edited:
Again, I point you to other players both in the NFL and in other sports leagues who have been conned by their agents. Condon is not above not fully disclosing information that is to his benefit. He's gone so in the past.

Unless Asomugha is IN THE ROOM for every part of the negotiation, which isn't likely, Condon can keep him from going to the Pats with misinformation and non-information.

But, assuming the Raiders allow him to seek a trade, couldn't he, you know, call the Patriots himself?

But, assuming the Raiders allow him to seek a trade, couldn't he, you know, call the Patriots himself?

Seriously theres no way he wouldnt talk to the team thats intrested in him or hes intrested in, I find that hard to believe.

I look at it this way, just using a generous hypothetical....

Let's say the Patriots get a 10-20 pick in round 1 for Cassel, and a 20-30 pick in round 1 for their finish this year. Now, if you were Al Davis and had seen the Moss deal come back and bite you the way it has, would you trade Aso to the Patriots even for those picks?

If they don't use the exclusive designation, and we can come to a deal with the player and are willing to give Oakland two 1sts, it doesn't matter what Al would do, he would have no say. Which is part of the reason he probably will use the exclusive franchise tag.

Also, Cassel knows that on the open market he's not worth a Tom Brady/Peyton Manning type contract. So, the reality is that, if Cassel is franchised, he knows he's going to get traded. And he knows its in his best interest to get a 3-4 year deal that totals in the neighborhood of 21-30 million with at least 12 guaranteed. That is long term security because he'll be affordable at about 7 million a year. Not the $5 million BS you were talking about that you just pulled out of your arse.

My steer on this is the likelihood is that if the Pats decided to tag and trade Cassel they would offer him the non-exclusive franchise tag. Be for cabout $12m for the 09 season but the FO will have absolutely no intent of ever paying this to him.

I see there's two options on how it will play out, either:

a) Someone negotiates a contract with Cassel, as he is non-ex. They will then agree a trade deal with the Patriots - in the end NE will accept anything over a 3rd round rounder but will look to get as much as possible - depends on how he finsishes the season and if we get into the playoffs

b) No-one is able to agree a deal with either Cassel or a trade with the Pats. The patriots will then withdraw the franchise tag from Cassel and he will become an UFA. The patriots will then likely get a 3rd round comp pick in '10 because of the large contract and playing opportunities that Cassel will get.

Either way, he never gets that money from the Pats but someone will have to take on that 12m plus whatever they offer for him. A 2nd maybe but unless he gets us deep into January I dont see much more

My steer on this is the likelihood is that if the Pats decided to tag and trade Cassel they would offer him the non-exclusive franchise tag. Be for cabout $12m for the 09 season but the FO will have absolutely no intent of ever paying this to him.

This is false. The non-exclusive tag is 14.6 million give or take a couple hundred thousand.

I see there's two options on how it will play out, either:

a) Someone negotiates a contract with Cassel, as he is non-ex. They will then agree a trade deal with the Patriots - in the end NE will accept anything over a 3rd round rounder but will look to get as much as possible - depends on how he finsishes the season and if we get into the playoffs

b) No-one is able to agree a deal with either Cassel or a trade with the Pats. The patriots will then withdraw the franchise tag from Cassel and he will become an UFA. The patriots will then likely get a 3rd round comp pick in '10 because of the large contract and playing opportunities that Cassel will get.

Either way, he never gets that money from the Pats but someone will have to take on that 12m plus whatever they offer for him. A 2nd maybe but unless he gets us deep into January I dont see much more

I agree with this, though, again, the money is in the 14.6 million range.

Last edited:
OK, but key thing is we never actually pay him because worse case we just withdraw it - Cassel himself has to play nice here though to some degree I suppose and give the Pats some leeway - if he tells them he will just sign it straightaway I suspect its game over and he's a UFA ... my guess he goes along with all this and that Pats will know if there's interested parties

Maybe McDaniels and Matt will go as a package:p

BTW--does anybody else find it hilarious that the OP spelled Asomugha right but misspelled "interested"? :rofl:

If they don't use the exclusive designation, and we can come to a deal with the player and are willing to give Oakland two 1sts, it doesn't matter what Al would do, he would have no say. Which is part of the reason he probably will use the exclusive franchise tag.

Good point...though I want Asomugha on this squad, two firsts might be a little rich, unfortunately.

Re: Pats interested in Asomugha?

Miguel - do you have any idea what situation the Raiders are in cap-wise? As I referenced above, I have to imagine their cap situation next year doesn't look good. I was only able to find Raiders cap resources for this season, but it all suggests the conclusion I've come to.

Yet - Schefter - who is reliable and knows the cap situations of each team, guaranteed he'd be tagged.

No, I do not.

But it makes common sense for the Raiders to tag their best player

If they don't use the exclusive designation, and we can come to a deal with the player and are willing to give Oakland two 1sts, it doesn't matter what Al would do, he would have no say.

He would have a say. He could simply match the Patriots offer.

I think that if the Pats tag Cassel and then withdraw the tag then they will not get a comp pick for him. See the Eagles/Corey Simon in 2005.

I'm still trying to determine how the Raiders will even have the 10+ mill in cap space to tag Asomugha.

Someone here did some nice detailing of Raiders contracts, hard to tell what the 09 cap space is like though:

2008 Raiders Salaries - Oakland Raiders Forum | Message Board - Where the Raider Nation lives!

My god, the Raider organization blows:

Hall, Walker costly against ‘09 cap - Oakland Raiders Forum | Message Board - Where the Raider Nation lives!

If the Raiders want to cut Javon Walker, his cap hit in 09 would be 15 mill. As it is, its 10 mill.

Tommy Kelly signed a 7 year 70 milli deal last year, his cap charge will go up next year too. Same with McFadden and Russel. Gerard Warren, Gibril Wilson, Ronald Curry all could have relatively high cap charges next year.

Hall will have a cap hit of 6 mill next year, not even on the team. Ouch.

Re: Pats interested in Asomugha?

No, I do not.

But it makes common sense for the Raiders to tag their best player

but its the raiders, so he'll probably walk.

I think that if the Pats tag Cassel and then withdraw the tag then they will not get a comp pick for him. See the Eagles/Corey Simon in 2005.

Update - I now think that it matters when Cassel signs his contract. Teams have gotten comp picks for transition players that were signed during the period covered by the comp pick calculation. Simon was signed after that period.

Well sure the Pats would be interested. Actually singing him or even having a chance to sign him, however, is a whole different ball of earwax.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News