PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rumor: Pats may be interested in trading for Derrick Burgess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Burgess would absolutely play an OLB spot in New England, not DE as a couple people suggested. He's listed at 6'2 260lbs, but has played well below that weight at times. He's really only had two big years in his career, but I'd still be interested in him depending on what the compensation would be. I certainly wouldn't give up a 2, but I would give up the 4th rounder. My guess is it would probably take the 3rd rounder and I don't feel great about that, especially if the Patriots trade up in round 1 with one of their 2nd rounders.

I think a Burgess trade would be appealing. I don't agree with the writer's assessment. Burgess' stock is at an all time low. He is coming off a bad, injury plagued year wit a bad defense.

I think the comparison to Gonzo is not relevant either. Gonzo had over 1,000 yards and 10 TDs. He might only be a TE, but he is one of two or three TEs that defenses absolutely have to gameplan for week in and week out. I think Gonzo is worth far more on the open market than Burgess.

I think the Pats could get Burgess for their third or possibly 4th if he is really on the market. Davis seems to not get value in his trades anyway.

Burgess coming to the Pats and successfully converting to OLB is no slam dunk. But he might be a low risk shot at doing it with high returns if it works out.

Thought this was a salary dump by the Raiders? Why would the Pats help out and give up a first day pick in the process?

ill take him for a 3rd round pick when healthy hes just as good as peppers and its would take a lot less then the 16 millon a yer that peppers will want to sign

I heard Mortenson on SportsCenter and he mentioned Burgess being shopped to the Eagles and the Panthers...and he made no mention of the Patriots.

In the same segment Mortenson talked about the Patriots reported interest in a top 10 pick. He said that people assumed it would be for a defensive player, but they (I assume meaning ESPN reporters) were hearing it was for an offensive player and "it could even be Michael Crabtree". The way he said it was not that Crabtree was the target, just that it was within the realm of possibility that the was the offensive player they were targeting.

In the same segment Mortenson talked about the Patriots reported interest in a top 10 pick. He said that people assumed it would be for a defensive player, but they (I assume meaning ESPN reporters) were hearing it was for an offensive player and "it could even be Michael Crabtree". The way he said it was not that Crabtree was the target, just that it was within the realm of possibility that the was the offensive player they were targeting.

i'm sure they are doing the due diligence in-case a player falls ~10 (i.e. curry, OT). if the pats need to pull the trigger on a player they covert, they have already done the leg work to make it happen.

Derrick Burgess is too short to play OLB for the Pats and he is injury prone. Not the best formula for success. Pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3