PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats intrested in Asomugha?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Davis would never go for trading him for Cassel, being that Russell signed a mega deal. The Raiders can't sit him again next year for that kind of money.

Wait, im sorry, I forgot we're talking about Al Davis. :eek:

Davis would never go for trading him for Cassel, being that Russell signed a mega deal. The Raiders can't sit him again next year for that kind of money.

Wait, im sorry, I forgot we're talking about Al Davis. :eek:

Give davis a first round pick and tell him we know a good kicker we get Asomugha. I am sure he will be happy enough with that.

Last edited:
the raiders are not going to trade for cassel, they have 100mill invested in russle.

asomugha will be franchised again and hold out, he just switch agents to tom condin...

the raiders are not going to trade for cassel, they have 100mill invested in russle.

asomugha will be franchised again and hold out, he just switch agents to tom condin...

Yes, but again, we're talking about Al Davis here, the man who put the FUN back in DysFUNctional, and so keeping things reality-based isn't always the correct line of thought.

Last edited:
I would cry if the Pats got Nnamdi. The best CB in the league.

Excluding Revis of course.;)

Asomugha plays for the Oakland Raiders. He is probably (about 99.99999999999999999999999%) going to get franchised. After the Jordan and Moss relocations, do people really think Davis would trade the guy to New England?

Yeah, Schefter echoed these sentiments this morning on WEEI. He also added he didn't think even Condon could get Asomugha out of Oakland.

IMO, if and when he is franchised, he is franchised with the intent to trade. I know Davis is a crazy, uncontrollable, unpredictable and unreasonable force at this point, but looking at the Raiders payroll, all the contracts they added last offseason, then thinking about the high draft picks (McFadden, Russel, whoever they draft this season), I honestly don't know if they'll have 10 mill to spare for a CB, even if that CB is clearly the best in the league. To spend 10 mill to keep the best CB in the league on your squad for a season destined to fail anyway...well, I'm sure Al sees it differently.

So maybe if they tag him, they'd be looking to trade. But I agree, Davis seems unlikely to do business w the Pats again, but you never know - he'll take the best offer he gets, and we might be in the position to give the best offer. My offseason plan would be tag and trade Cassel for a 1st, and then do whatever the hell it takes to get Asomugha over here.

Last edited:
...I'd think if they tag him, they have to move him. But I agree, Davis seems unlikely to do business w the Pats again, but you never know - he'll take the best offer he gets, and we might be in the position to give the best offer. My offseason plan would be tag and trade Cassel for a 1st, and then do whatever the hell it takes to get Asomugha over here.

I look at it this way, just using a generous hypothetical....

Let's say the Patriots get a 10-20 pick in round 1 for Cassel, and a 20-30 pick in round 1 for their finish this year. Now, if you were Al Davis and had seen the Moss deal come back and bite you the way it has, would you trade Aso to the Patriots even for those picks?

Re: Pats interested in Asomugha?

1.) There is an exclusive tag that the Raiders can use.
2.) Randy Moss is not making $6 million. His cap number is $6 million. He received a $12 million signing bonus. His 3-year deal averages $9 million.

Miguel - do you have any idea what situation the Raiders are in cap-wise? As I referenced above, I have to imagine their cap situation next year doesn't look good. I was only able to find Raiders cap resources for this season, but it all suggests the conclusion I've come to.

Yet - Schefter - who is reliable and knows the cap situations of each team, guaranteed he'd be tagged.

I look at it this way, just using a generous hypothetical....

Let's say the Patriots get a 10-20 pick in round 1 for Cassel, and a 20-30 pick in round 1 for their finish this year. Now, if you were Al Davis and had seen the Moss deal come back and bite you the way it has, would you trade Aso to the Patriots even for those picks?

If he wasn't getting other comparable offers he would...which, unfortunately, would not be the case. Asomugha should be in serious demand, and we won't be the only team interested.

But as I said, Davis is completely unpredictable, I really don't know what he'd do, so I'm not giving up all hope yet.

If Asomugha hired Tom Condon as his rep, its unlikely that he'll be coming to the Pats. Condon has hated the BB/Pioli ever since Condon was fired as Watson's agent when Watson was a rookie and holding out.

That might be true but the agent doesnt have the final say the player does.

True, but Condon can always tell Nnamdi that the offer from the Patriots is a low-ball offer or isn't in Nnamdi's best interest. There are hundreds of instances where this has happened. In fact, some of the most famous ones have affected Boston Teams. Bobby Orr comes to mind. You know. Where Alan Eagleson forgot to mention to Bobby that the Bruins had included an 8% ownership stake in the contract.

Scott and Bill wasn't the ones who got Randy to NE, it was Tom. And Randy will be the one to convince NA that a pay cut is worth playing for real football team where everyone has a winning attitude, where you win more often than lose and where football is fun again. Actually I think NA is already been convinced of that.

The two sides will fight over a number but if both sides want it will happen.

NA made around $9 million this year slightly less than Randy did his last year in Oakland. Randy is making $6 million now. If we use that as a model, it works out okay as long as we don't do something stupid like pay $12 million so we can have a back QB with experience by franchising Cassel.

WHAT? You are off your rocker regarding Tom Condon. He wasn't the one who got Randy to come to the Pats. Condon has hated the Patriots since he lost Ben Watson as a client.

Tell me why any team would pay him the same thing Brady makes PLUS give up picks?

He is a decent QB. But he ain't Tom Brady/Peyton Manning. And we know he can get the ball into Wes and Randy's hands. Would he be as good with the Lion's receivers.

First off, no team would end up paying Cassel the same as either Tom Brady or Peyton Manning. In the end, Cassel will probably end up making about 21 to 30 million)including the signing bonus) depending on the length of the contract he signs.

My guess is that he signs a 3-5 year deal with a 12 million signing bonus.

Branch had his ring and was looking for the biggest possible payday. He wasnt worth the money Seattle signed him for.

This is true that he hasn't been worth the money that Seattle signed him for. But, the fact still remains that it was Branch's agent who was pulling the strings so that he could make a name for himself.

WHAT? You are off your rocker regarding Tom Condon. He wasn't the one who got Randy to come to the Pats. Condon has hated the Patriots since he lost Ben Watson as a client.

The Tom I was referring to in my post was Tom Brady not Tom Condon. .

First off, no team would end up paying Cassel the same as either Tom Brady or Peyton Manning. In the end, Cassel will probably end up making about 21 to 30 million)including the signing bonus) depending on the length of the contract he signs.

My guess is that he signs a 3-5 year deal with a 12 million signing bonus.

If the Patriots franchise Cassel, Cassel gets a one year $14 million dollar contract. (that is Brady/Peyton money)

Patriots now trade Cassel, new team has a one year $14 million dollar contract.

Puts Cassel in a very good bargaining position. He has $14 million in guaranteed money. Why would you give up a one year $14 million dollar deal for a $25 million dollar five year deal with only $12 million of it guaranteed?

If Asomugha hired Tom Condon as his rep, its unlikely that he'll be coming to the Pats. Condon has hated the BB/Pioli ever since Condon was fired as Watson's agent when Watson was a rookie and holding out.

Maybe true, but ultimately it doesn't matter what Condon thinks of the Patriots - he is an employee of Asomugha now. Whatever Asomugha wants, he has to go out and get.

I liked how he was studying the previous plays during the NE OAK game. I've only seen coaches and QB's do that really. He wants to win and semes like a hard worker.

Man...him, Hobbs, Wheatley/Wilhite...that could be a sick secondary!:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back