PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats Inactives: Mayo, Galloway, Brace, Wheatley, BJGE, Simmons, Ohrnberger, Lockett

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Pats Inactives: Mayo, Galloway, Brace, Wheatley, BJGE, Simmons, Ohrnberger, Locke

I actually think he's miscast for the "Gaffney" role, for lack of a better term. Less time and longer routes might make him valuable. they need someone to find those holes in the D, though.

He's not Todd Pinkston, but he sure isn't comfortable running into the defense in the middle. Plus, his speed is wasted. Not a well thought out FO decision, so far.

Not sure why Lewis was canned, he might have (or not) fit the bill better.

Last edited:
Re: Pats Inactives: Mayo, Galloway, Brace, Wheatley, BJGE, Simmons, Ohrnberger, Locke

Today's Expected Depth Chart:

QB - Brady
QB - Hoyer

RB - Maroney
RB - Taylor
RB - Faulk
RB/FB - Morris

TE - Baker
TE - Watson

TE - Matthews

WR - Moss
WR - Welker

WR - Edelman
WR - Aiken

LT - Light
LG - Mankins
C - Koppen
RG - Neal
RT - Kaczur

OT - Vollmer
OG/C - Connolly

LE - Warren
LDT - Wilfork
RDT - Wright
RE - Green

DE - Burgess
DE - Banta-Cain
DT - Pryor
DT - Sands

SLB - Thomas
MLB - Guyton
WLB - Woods

OLB - Ninkovich
ILB - Alexander

LCB - Wilhite
RCB - Bodden
S - Meriweather
S - McGowan

S - J. Sanders
CB - Springs
CB - Butler
S - Chung
S - Slater

K - Gostkowski
P - Hanson
LS - Ingram

Bold names are starters? Was that info given out? If so, that would mean a 2 WR/2 TE set to open the game with.

And do what? Throw him about a bit? ;)

I kid.

The natural reaction of any Ravens fan this offseason was to push for the front office to pick up any wide receiver who hit the market.

With Mason and Clayton being 5-11, though, Galloway would be pretty useless, especially if he can't catch balls from Tom Brady.

Bold names are starters? Was that info given out? If so, that would mean a 2 WR/2 TE set to open the game with.

Well, three things:

1) The bold names are starters as determined by me
2) The Patriots do give out starters following inactives to the media, but typically they are only in a base set and rarely will they reflect who's actually on the field on the first play
3) Who the Patriots actually start on the field on the first play is anyone's guess. My depth chart is my best guess. I usually adjust them after the game to reflect who actually started.

Last edited:
Re: per Reiss on TV: Wilfork and Welker

I think this isn't actually about Galloway sucking so far; I think it's a sign that we will focus on the run and protection. Edelman brings more versatility (returns, STs, wildcat? reverses?) so he got the nod, but I don't think it was Edelman vs. Galloway, I think it was Mitchell (TE) vs. Galloway, and Mitchell got the nod due to a protection/run focus.

Any guesses on who is going to play the #2 receiver on the other side of Moss? I sincerely hope it's not Edelman. He and Welker would be better suited to the slots.

I think this isn't actually about Galloway sucking so far; I think it's a sign that we will focus on the run and protection. Edelman brings more versatility (returns, STs, wildcat? reverses?) so he got the nod, but I don't think it was Edelman vs. Galloway, I think it was Mitchell (TE) vs. Galloway, and Mitchell got the nod due to a protection/run focus.

Matthews, you mean. Not Mitchell.

It matter little who starts the game. In any case, would expect Watson and Baker to stretch the filed opposite Moss (not Edelman).

Sands active and Brace a healthy scratch after no PT last week. Hmmmm.

Guess there's more to a receiver corps than picking the five fastest guys, huh?

As much as they've tried to "stretch the field" it remains 120 yards by 160 feet.:D

Taking Galloway off the field (besides sending him and the rest of the team a message) likely means the Pats will focus on a controlled/accurate passing game with fewer shots down the field. Hard to argue with that given Ed Reed lurking about. That also means that penalties, sacks and negative rushes will be extra problematic today.

So Galloway and Brace are officially in the doghouse. Hopefully they pick it up since it isn't a long trip to reach the outhouse.

Watson (or Baker)
Both are capable of streching the field.

Any guesses on who is going to play the #2 receiver on the other side of Moss? I sincerely hope it's not Edelman. He and Welker would be better suited to the slots.

I wouldn't consider Brace "in the doghouse". But then, I don't expect all rookies to be ready to be counted on to be contributers by Game Four of their rookie years.

Taking Galloway off the field (besides sending him and the rest of the team a message) likely means the Pats will focus on a controlled/accurate passing game with fewer shots down the field. Hard to argue with that given Ed Reed lurking about. That also means that penalties, sacks and negative rushes will be extra problematic today.

So Galloway and Brace are officially in the doghouse. Hopefully they pick it up since it isn't a long trip to reach the outhouse.

Matthews, you mean. Not Mitchell.

I'm very excited to see Matthews on the active roster this week. I predicted before the Jets game that we might see a lot of him as an extra blocker to protect TB. I was obviously wrong then, but I hope to see him pick up that role today.

I'm very excited to see Matthews on the active roster this week. I predicted before the Jets game that we might see a lot of him as an extra blocker to protect TB. I was obviously wrong then, but I hope to see him pick up that role today.

As do I. Many a Giants fan said that he was one of the primary reasons for their deadly running game. I'm excited to see what he can do with this offensive line vs. those OLBs that the Ravens have.

Been saying it. Should have kept Gaffney. Maybe he didn't get as many catches as Galloway, but he was dependable, ran his routes, Tom trusts him and he proved himself clutch in a few situations (the Ravens game winning TD catch).

I wouldn't consider Brace "in the doghouse". But then, I don't expect all rookies to be ready to be counted on to be contributers by Game Four of their rookie years.

Doghouse is a bit much, but he does seem to be going backwards. If he was inactive every game, wouldn't give it a second thought. Given Wilfork's health and Sands newness, seeing Brace inactive is disappointing. Like you suggest, still early and plenty of time to turn it around.

As I recall, the Giants did ok the last time they faced the Ravens - over 200 yards rushing last year in a dominating win. I'd take that. :D

Seriously, if Matthews can help keep Suggs away from Brady and help take on Ngata in the running game, he will be huge.

Sands active and Brace a healthy scratch after no PT last week. Hmmmm.

Other than Galloway, this was the big Hmmmmm for me too. Seems like more of a bad sign for Brace than a good sign for Sands unfortunately ....

I could see a lot of 2 TE sets to protect Brady with Moss and Welker (and Watson and Baker) as receivers. This is MAX-PROTECT. The 6th non-lineman would be either a TE or a RB. Either's #1 job would be to protect Brady.

They haven't been sending Galloway down the field though, which is likely part of the problem. They need someone to fill the Gaffney role, those are the routes Galloway's been running unsuccessfully.

It would be surprising if a novice like Edelman was successful there, but i wouldn't put anything past him. I have to remind myself the guy's a QB the way he's subbed for Welker.

I'd love to see them play a conservative running, short passing game. I think that would do a hell of a lot more to open up shots for Moss than anything else.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back