PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats give Branch permission to seek Trade

Status
Not open for further replies.
dhamz said:
You don't give something without getting something in return. Not if you are a good business man and the Pats are great business men.

So the Pats gave Branch this, what did he give them in return?

The only thing that makes sense is he agreed that is he can't make a deal by 9/1 then he agreed he ends his holdout and comes in.

Bingo.

The only thing more diabolical would be if they never asked for or saw this permission coming and now Chayut and Branch are stuck with either finding a buyer willing to top the Pat's offers or wiping all that rotten egg off their faces.

And in the remote chance he does leave I'm sure BB had Shanny fax him a copy of the Ashley Lelie promissory note. Which also ups the ante on what he would have to get from someone else by about $1M pre tax just to break even.

PATRIOTS-80 said:
It will never be a "truly open market" because the team owns his rights for this year, and can franchise him next year, thereby securing his rights again. We could, theoretically, even franchise him one more time after that. (Not that it would drag out that long though.)

Furthermore, there's a lot of $$$ out there because of the CBA agreement. The problem is not dollars, its compensation for the Pats. Which will always be a problem for the agent because the Patriots will not forfeit their rights to the said player.
My point is Branch and his agent will surely see thru any attempt by the Pats of insisting that this option (to go seek a trade) is a true market setter for Branch's worth.

I don't believe the Pats are stupid enough to believe so either.

This tactic smells of something other than setting Branch's open market value. What it is only BB and company knows.

Branch isn't going anywhere the Pats are just making sure they don't overpay for him. Once they get a price teams are willing to pay the Pats will match the offer and he will stay with the Pats. I wouldn't be at all surprised if all sides came to this agreement. Smart business on the Pats. Slight disadvantage for Branch, he might have gotten a little more then market value if the Pats had just signed him.

MoLewisrocks said:
The only thing more diabolical would be if they never asked for or saw this permission coming and now Chayut and Branch are stuck with either finding a buyer willing to top the Pat's offers or wiping all that rotten egg off their faces.
Why would they have egg on their face over not being able to find a suitor this late in offseason? It's not like they are being given a true open market to shop thier wares. And don't think they won't let people know this.

Bobs My Uncle said:
My point is Branch and his agent will surely see thru any attempt by the Pats of insisting that this option (to go seek a trade) is a true market setter for Branch's worth.

It is a market setter of how many teams will be willing to trade a first round pick. Which is all that really matters for a trade for Pats FO because the team owns his rights for this year and the next. In fact, that is what is really p*ssing off Branch's agent and why he tried to get the Pats to not franchise him next year.

Last edited:
Bobs My Uncle said:

I don't believe the Pats are stupid enough to believe so either.

This tactic smells of something other than setting Branch's open market value. What it is only BB and company knows.

My guess is the Patriots gave him every opportunity to come back without looking silly. Now, it seems that the Patriots want nothing more than to embarrass Branch and make him return with his tail between his legs. I guess this is how BB plays hardball.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: The Branch Trade is like the Manny Waiver

I agree. This is hardball negotiating. The Pats are calling Branch's bluff and he will fold soon. No other team will pay him more than the Pats AND surrender a #1 pick. Therefore he will sign with the Pats.

mgteich said:
Why does anyone expect resolution?

Because I think many of us believe that in order to get this permission from the Pats, Branch had to have agreed that after his week of "free agency" if nothing is worked out he will report.

The Pats have zero to gain from what was announced today and they never give players something for nothing. It would send a terrible message if they did this and got nothing from the player in return - sit out of our camp and we'll grant you a chance to hit the open market before your contract expires. If they want to trade him they could make the deal on their terms and then grant him permission to get a deal with the team of their choice.

Nothing good could come of this move for the team if they did not agree with Deion's agent that this is the resolution - work out a trade or show up on the 2nd and play out the last year.

Anything other than that is just a dumb move by the Pats front office and do you see them folding to Branch when they hold all the cards?

Last edited:
Did I mispeak? Branch holds out and comes in at Game 10 as required by the CBA.

Jacky Roberts said:
If Branch sits out, he doesn't get service time for 2007 and does not become a FA until the following year. He really has no leveredge here at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
PATRIOTS-80 said:
It is a market setter of how many teams will be willing to trade a first round pick. Which is all that really matters for a trade for Pats FO because the team owns his rights for this year and the next. In fact, that is what is really p*ssing off Branch's agent and why he tried to get the Pats to not franchise him next year.

I could offer you a gugloonian dollars, but if your company holds your rights and won't trade you to my company except for something substatinal ... that gugloonian dollars doesn't mean much......

Last edited:
mgteich said:
Did I mispeak? Branch holds out and comes in at Game 10 as required by the CBA.

Yeah, you just said he sits out.

Isaac said:
It's two #1's for franchised players, not one, and it is very rare for teams to give that up.
good point, only strengthens my argument.

Oh, this really aweful for Branch. He sits out until Game 10, probably doesn't play the rest of the season and the pats franchise him. He sits out until Labor Day, signs the franchise and plays for only $8M. And the pats can give him a 20% increase each year, until bb get tired.

MrBigglesWorth said:
good point, only strengthens my argument.

Remember they did this same thing with Ted Johnson.

Johnson was under contract and they wanted him to take a paycut. He was unhappy with his decreased role. They let him check out other teams and he had a deal in place to go to Green Bay with a 3-year contract. Instead, he stayed with the Pats, getting a new contract for less money that mirrored the Green Bay offer.

It is smart negotiating. Gives the player a chance to save face and ends the conflict.

PATRIOTS-80 said:
It is a market setter of how many teams will be willing to trade a first round pick.
It isn't even that.

If it truly were the Pats would have given this option at the start of the offseason, when teams had viable needs at WR and tons of cap room, and not now, when most teams rosters are already set and cap room already used up.

Exactly, so five teams will offer big money and lowball the pats, so then Branch thinks that he is worth the big money.

PATRIOTS-80 said:
I could offer you a gugloonian dollars, but if your company holds your rights and won't trade you to my company except for something substatinal ... that gugloonian dollars doesn't mean much......

dhamz said:
Because I think many of us believe that in order to get this permission from the Pats, Branch had to have agreed that after his week of "free agency" if nothing is worked out he will report.

The Pats have zero to gain from what was announced today and they never give players something for nothing. It would send a terrible message if they did this and got nothing from the player in return - sit out of our camp and we'll grant you a chance to hit the open market before your contract expires. If they want to trade him they could make the deal on their terms and then grant him permission to get a deal with the team of their choice.

Nothing good could come of this move for the team if they did not agree with Deion's agent that this is the resolution - work out a trade or show up on the 2nd and play out the last year.

Anything other than that is just a dumb move by the Pats front office and do you see them folding to Branch when they hold all the cards?
:ditto: :agree:
If they give into him then he will win and this will cause more trouble in the future with those who are about to become free agents.

mgteich said:
Oh, this really aweful for Branch. He sits out until Game 10, probably doesn't play the rest of the season and the pats franchise him. He sits out until Labor Day, signs the franchise and plays for only $8M. And the pats can give him a 20% increase each year, until bb get tired.
And the little jerk can lose all the accolades and prestige that those guys love so much. They love the money, but Branch won't be able to deal with playing 7, or whatever, games a year. He'll miss the love, guaranteed.

mgteich said:
Exactly, so five teams will offer big money and lowball the pats, so then Branch thinks that he is worth the big money.

Players CAN get big deals being traded .... BUT they also need to get another team to offer sufficient compensation for the said player. Lowballing the Pats isn't going to make them not franchise their player thereby retaining his rights.

I think that the following may be already done:

1) The pats have a potential trade or two for wide receivers.
2) The pats have a couple of potential free aents in mind to sign after the Sept 2 cut.
3) The pats may get what they can and move on.

For example, we might get a 2nd for Branch and trade a 3rd to someone else for a wr, and also sign Patten or someone else that is cut.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

And yes, I do think that bb thinks that receivers are a dime a dozen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick