PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats give Branch permission to seek Trade

Status
Not open for further replies.
R_T26 said:
Someone will offer deion a good contract, no matter what you guys think. if Randall El gets $30 mill what do you think they will offer Branch.

Daniel Schneider is a lunatic!

Brownfan80 said:
per Reiss:

"Pats statement

The Patriots released the following statement today:

“The New England Patriots have given Deion Branch permission to seek a trade and negotiate a contract with other clubs. This permission will extend until September 1, 2006.â€"

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

Wow...Wow...Man...Branch..Your outta here bud...Chad Jackson HERE WE COME!....

ATippett56 said:
Daniel Schneider is a lunatic!

So true. He also hates draft picks. I think his goal is to trade away every draft pick every year so he doesn't have to waste his time with the draft. He'd probably give the Pats a first, a second, and a third for Branch. :D

The Pats know that the value of former Patriot receivers is at a particularly low ebb right now, given Patten's current situation and Givens' apparent flameout in Nashville.

QB12

Patriots4Ever said:
Wow...Wow...Man...Branch..Your outta here bud...Chad Jackson HERE WE COME!....

That, we have a great spare part in Chad Jackson!

PATSNUTme said:
AJ, I'm sure that before they gave permission, the Patriots told Branch's agent what is acceptable compensation.

I'm also sure that there's an agreement that if Branch does not find a viable suitor by 9/1, the holdout is over.

I couldn't even concieve of the Patriots agreeing to this without setting those terms in place.

We're on the same page Patsnutme. Now wouldn't it have been perfect if the Patriots first asked Branch what he though he was worth?

SP: OK, Chayout, you win, we can't pay this amazing player enough so we'll let you seek a trade.
Chayout: Oh, yes, that's damn straight biatch!
SP: OK, so how much do you think this All-Pro receiver is worth?
Chayout: Umm...
SP: Must be worth a couple of 1sts or a 1st and a pro bowler, right?
SP: Well, you just let us know and then we'll make an agreement to let him go for that. Otherwise he gets his sorry ass back into camp.

Eagles could be interested, too.

The only team I can see that would off Branch a Big Contract and give up
picks would be a Team that was close to going all the way and just needed
a very good WR.
Dallas some one mentioned? With TO's hammy this could be a possibility if
Jerry Jones has the " throw in everythin includeing the kitchen sink this year"
mentality.
Maybe Seakhawks if they can afford it.
Maybe Vikes

I can't wait for all this BS to be over, whether Branch is here or not, I just don't care anymore. I'm ready to be a simple fan again that just enjoys watching the games and supporting my team. Screw the politics.

jaychamp said:
I can't wait for all this BS to be over, whether Branch is here or not, I just don't care anymore. I'm ready to be a simple fan again that just enjoys watching the games and supporting my team. Screw the politics.

I agree. Let's get this done. I prefer Deion stays, but at least it'll be settled. And we'll STILL Win.

Tunescribe said:
OK, so what happens if we get to Sept. 1 and there is no trade arranged? What then? Branch can still continue his holdout and nothing will have been solved. There apparently is more to this that we haven't been told.

Probably the best comment/question on this whole thread. What happens Sept 1st if nothing is resolved ? P.S.......They should trade him to Oakland for Jerry Porter.

Pats726 said:
I agree...the squeeze...SO Mr Branch you are worth how much?? Seek a trade then my friend...see what your value is?? I agree this really puts all the onus on The Twig..you have a week to get a trade done IF you really wish out of here...if you wish to stay?? Get you act together and get into camp...NO fence sitting.. This certainly forces the whole situation..Can't keep mouthing off in the press what he wants..LOVE IT!! My question is, what becomes of the fines?? He pays the Patriots as well??

I'm not sure I buy into the squeeze theory. My first thought was BB is fed up with the Branch distraction, so instead of releasing him he wants to get something in return via a trade. Now he's alerted the league that player X is available. What will we demand? A 1st rounder? I think this team needs help sooner rather than later, particularly at LB or WR, so I bet BB is looking for a player plus a mid round draft pick.

No matter what happens, it means resolution comes sooner rather than later.

They aren't going to let him go, they could agree to not franchise him and he would play the entire season this year. They aren't going to let him go for nothing.

What this does is speed up the process, rather than dragging it into the season. They either get him under contract because he sees what his value is and they agree to pay it, or they trade him and get something back.

I still think Deion wants to be a Patriot. I don't see him leaving. I bet he has a new contract before the season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, I think this is just a mov to resolve this situation once and for all. I am not as confident as most of you seem to be think that there will be few takers for Deion. As we've seen, because of the new CBA, there are teams out there with a good amount of cap room.

All this move does is to try and make sure that the worst case scenario happens and at this point, the worst case is the holdout till the 10th game. A holdout of that nature is a no win situation for everyone because DB loses game checks and the Pats are stuck with what essentially is a non performing asset. By doing this, the team may be able to get something for Deion right now whether it's a player and draft pick or just a draft pick.

EDIT: NE39 we must think alike because we posted similar thoughts at a similar time!

Last edited:
What should PATs expect for a trade offer .... minimum ... a #2? Maybe a#1
for a strong contender(24 to 31 overall expected next year )

JR4 said:
What should PATs expect for a trade offer .... minimum ... a #2? Maybe a#1
for a strong contender(24 to 31 overall expected next year )

If we're talking just one pick, it's got to be a 1st. Deion himself was a 2nd, and while he might not have the upside of a 1st round WR -- he'll never be a Moss or Owens -- he also doesn't have nearly the bust potential. That's worth a 1st.

I don't buy into the argument that this tactic will prove to Branch what his value on the open market is. It's not truly an open market right now. At this stage of the offseason teams are already in the final stages of finalizing their opening day rosters after spending all of pre-season getting everybody in synch with each other. I would imagine many teams simply won't have any interest in Branch because it's too close to the start of the season. What's more, many teams don't have the $ at this stage to give the mega deal that Branch obviously wants. They've already spent it getting the players that they need to start the season with.

If the Pats wanted Branch and his agent to find out his true worth on the open market why didn't they do so 3 months ago?

Assuming Branch is out for a draft pick or a non-WR player, what's the consensus on the offensive roster?

WR (this is so rough)

Caldwell
Brown
Childress
Jackson
Kight

Yikes. That really, really sucks (especially if Jackson is not ready to go).

Why get only a #2 when you could get a #1 if you franchise him?

TaxPlaya said:
Assuming Branch is out for a draft pick or a non-WR player, what's the consensus on the offensive roster?

WR (this is so rough)

Caldwell
Brown
Childress
Jackson
Kight

Yikes. That really, really sucks (especially if Jackson is not ready to go).

COULD NOT. AGREE. MORE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back