PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats give Branch permission to seek Trade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Branch Trade is like the Manny Waiver

PonyExpress said:
. No other team will pay him more than the Pats AND surrender a #1 pick. Therefore he will sign with the Pats.

Washington would, but they're set at WR. Philadelphia, because they've got an owner who spends and they need WR help, is the most realistic option for Branch at the moment. Does anybody know how much cap room Philly currently has? Minnesota is another potential destination, calling all capologists...

PATRIOTS-80 said:
Players CAN get big deals being traded .... BUT they also need to get another team to offer sufficient compensation for the said player. Lowballing the Pats isn't going to make them not franchise their player thereby retaining his rights.

The Green Bay Packers traded Javon Walker to the Denver Broncos for a second round draft pick this year.

Bobs My Uncle said:
It isn't even that.

If it truly were the Pats would have given this option at the start of the offseason, when teams had viable needs at WR and tons of cap room, and not now, when most teams rosters are already set and cap room already used up.

There's a lot of $$$ out there because of the new CBA. The problem isn't $$$, its that the agent will have a HARD TIME finding a team who will offer him a good deal, and give the Pats sufficient compensation because they hold his rights. AND that PROBLEM will NOT go away in the off-season because we will have no problem franchising him and holding onto his rights.

This is about money. Branch will move on this year, or next or perhaps in 2008 with lots and lots of money, enough to set up his son for life, and he will play plenty, perhaps this year or perhaps not.

BTW, I don't believe any deals until I see the numbers and details posted. I seriously doubt the numbers everyone is saying the patriots offered. No one ever know what the patriots offer until the contract is filed with the league.

BelichickFan said:
And the little jerk can lose all the accolades and prestige that those guys love so much. They love the money, but Branch won't be able to deal with playing 7, or whatever, games a year. He'll miss the love, guaranteed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bobs My Uncle said:
It isn't even that.

If it truly were the Pats would have given this option at the start of the offseason, when teams had viable needs at WR and tons of cap room, and not now, when most teams rosters are already set and cap room already used up.

Yeah, but if they trade Branch, then he only takes up what, 1 million on the cap. The big money deal can be for an extension for the rest of the contract. With a prorated signing bonus being paid this year.

If a team wants him, they can pay him.

As long as we get our as well, which will really determine his worth.

ATippett56 said:
The Green Bay Packers traded Javon Walker to the Denver Broncos for a second round draft pick this year.

His value was hurt because he was coming off ACL surgery.

And next year he will make only $8M as a franchise wide out, after holding out until Game One.

PATRIOTS-80 said:
There's a lot of $$$ out there because of the new CBA. The problem isn't $$$, its that the agent will have a HARD TIME finding a team who will offer him a good deal, and give the Pats sufficient compensation because they hold his rights. AND that PROBLEM will NOT go away in the off-season because we will have no problem franchising him and holding onto his rights.

FreeTedWilliams said:
Now think..

Graham
Watson
Thomas
Faulk
Maroney
Dillon

OK, let's tease this out.

Let's take 25 offensive players. Subtract out Gost, Paxton, and the 9 OL slots. Let's also assume Willie Andrews (who has been working with the receivers) counts here. Pass is on PUP to start.

That leaves 13 slots

1. Brady
2. Cassell
3. Graham
4. Watson
5. Thomas
6. Mills
7. Dillon
8. Maroney
9. Faulk
10. Jackson
11. Childress
12. Caldwell
13. Brown

Evans, Cobbs, Kight, don't make the cut. Most/all make the practice squad.

NE39 said:
His value was hurt because he was coming off ACL surgery.
At least that is where the New England Patriots draw the line as an organization with regard to compensation for Deion Branch.

14thDragon said:
Yeah, but if they trade Branch, then he only takes up what, 1 million on the cap. The big money deal can be for an extension for the rest of the contract. With a prorated signing bonus being paid this year.

If a team wants him, they can pay him.

As long as we get our as well, which will really determine his worth.
I'm not saying no team will be interested in trading for and paying Branch.

I'm saying that the Pats giving Branch permission to seek out a trade isn't being done to set his value in the open market as some people are claiming. An open market no longer exists at this stage of the season. Surely Branch's agent realizes this if the Pats claim it to be.

If someone wants to pay him more than he's worth. Good riddance.

Bobs My Uncle said:
I'm not saying no team will be interested in trading for and paying Branch.

I'm saying that the Pats giving Branch permission to seek out a trade isn't being done to set his value in the open market as some people are claiming. An open market no longer exists at this stage of the season. Surely Branch's agent realizes this if the Pats claim it to be.

And in a way, I agree that Branch isn't on an "open market." But I guess my point is that it will never be an open market because the Pats hold his rights and so the agent will have to find some team to give us sufficient compensation.

Bobs My Uncle said:
If the Pats wanted Branch and his agent to find out his true worth on the open market why didn't they do so 3 months ago?
I think because they didn't realize how unreasonable Branch and his agent would be. That is pretty obvious to me...

Pat the Pats Fan said:
This is Economics 101, letting the market set the price...and we all know majored in Economics in college...

I believe Mr. Branch's bubble is about to get burst.

I am in complete agreement with that. Well stated!

mgteich said:
And next year he will make only $8M as a franchise wide out, after holding out until Game One.

1) There is a lot of cap room this year and even more next year so its not like we couldn't franchise him.
2) We did it with Tebucky Jones
3) BB went a year w/o contribution from Terry Glenn.

PATRIOTS-80 said:
And in a way, I agree that Branch isn't on an "open market." But I guess my point is that it will never be an open market because the Pats hold his rights and so the agent will have to find some team to give us sufficient compensation.
By allowing Branch to shop his wares the Pats are relinquishing their right to not allow him access to an open market.

If the Pats "truly" wanted the open market to set Branch's value they would have allowed him to test it this offseason when all teams were truly shoppers. Not now when most are not. No doubt Branch's agent realizes this.

Isaac said:
Wow.

Well, if nothing else it may help define Branch's value, sort of like how the Patriots like players to seek out a deal in free agency and then they try to match it. Maybe if no one is offering much more than the Patriots are, Branch will cave.
Exactly. Someone needs to offer him a better deal than the Patriots did earleir that was worth some 6 million a year. No one matches it Branch knows his best deal is in New England. Pats would re offer him the deal.

Maybe the Pats make a trade with the Chargers and bring in Parker and Edwards for Branch and a 4th?

That would be a sweet deal.

Bobs My Uncle said:
By allowing Branch to shop his wares the Pats are relinquishing their right to not allow him access to an open market.

If the Pats "truly" wanted the open market to set Branch's value they would have allowed him to test it this offseason when all teams were truly shoppers. Not now when most are not. No doubt Branch's agent realizes this.

Well, I am going to have say that Bill/Scott got hoodwinked on that one. They did not seem to expect the situation would deteriote this far. They had a number in mind and thought it could be worked out to that point.

Deion could have tested to open market to hearts content next year, had he shown up for work. But both sides made tacticle mistakes and now we are seeing how the FO is going to deal with it. And wether or not the market actually values Deion more then we do.

TaxPlaya said:
OK, let's tease this out.

Let's take 25 offensive players. Subtract out Gost, Paxton, and the 9 OL slots. Let's also assume Willie Andrews (who has been working with the receivers) counts here. Pass is on PUP to start.

That leaves 13 slots

1. Brady
2. Cassell
3. Graham
4. Watson
5. Thomas
6. Mills
7. Dillon
8. Maroney
9. Faulk
10. Jackson
11. Childress
12. Caldwell
13. Brown

Evans, Cobbs, Kight, don't make the cut. Most/all make the practice squad.

Without Branch I don't see how the Pats can go into the season with only those four WRs, but then, who do they use valuable roster spots on? They can't carry 5 WRs just to have 5 WRs... It's an interesting problem with no clear solution. I guess the solution is Willie Andrews, he takes the 5th WR spot, the final DB spot, and the KR/PR ST spot. He's a triple threat with triple value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes