PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats give Branch permission to seek Trade

Status
Not open for further replies.
After taking a second breath. Absolutely brilliant! I get the image of BB swatting the fly(agent) "come back in a week when you've learned a few things grasshopper"!

One thing is for certain, we'll have some sort of resolution by Sept 2, thank god!

Re: Patriots have announced that they have given Deion Branch permission to seek a tr

Dirtywater said:
The Patriots have to approve the team he goes to. Something tells me he is not going to an AFC East team unless they pay more of a premium over a team out of the AFC East.

I wonder if the strong play of Giants pick Matthias Kiwanuka will make one of their LB's available....

What a freakin mess. If only the Pats had signed Eric Moulds this offseason :mad:

AndyJohnson said:
I think this is a very smart move. I think Deion is going to be VERY surpirsed at the lack of offers he will receive. I find it very hard to believe that he will attract a top $ contract, and that team will also pony up what the Pats would want in trade.
This is a risky move however. If Branch does find a suitor, and they lowball the trade offer, he will try to hold the Pats hostage. (although he has few cards to play, we can just let him sit, the year gets wiped out, or if he reports on his current deal he will still hold the franchise option)
Secondly, having a firm offer could outprice the Pats if someone does give him crazy $.
Thirdly, this will probably reduce the chances of Branch resigning here before going into FA assuming no deal can get done, and he plays out his contract (unless we tag him).
A shrewd team could offer him a ridiculous contract, then fail to give the trade bait, in order for him to think he can get more on the open market and refuse to resign here. If Mangini learned from the master, he will offer Branch everything he asked for, then offer the Pats a 4th for the trade, meaning there will be no trade, and Branchs future here is over.
For 2006, this move is a good one, for beyond, its very risky.

There are a lot of teams with a lot of caproom burning a hole in there pocket because the new CBA.

AndyJohnson said:
A shrewd team could offer him a ridiculous contract, then fail to give the trade bait, in order for him to think he can get more on the open market and refuse to resign here. If Mangini learned from the master, he will offer Branch everything he asked for, then offer the Pats a 4th for the trade, meaning there will be no trade, and Branchs future here is over.

The more I think about this, the more I assume that the trade parameters had to have been specified to Branch up-front to prevent this from happening---e.g. 1st round pick or a player with a certain set of credentials. It's even possible that a fairly detailed set of parameters were laid out---that'd be an interesting memo to read.

It would be nice to have resolution to this before the 53 cutdown.

My first reaction was along the lines of a WTF! but I think it is a smart move too. This is an annoying distraction and it's time to force the issue one way or the other and just be done with it. I'm really disappointed in Branch and I'm just sick of this whole thing at this point.

AndyJohnson said:
I think this is a very smart move. I think Deion is going to be VERY surpirsed at the lack of offers he will receive. I find it very hard to believe that he will attract a top $ contract, and that team will also pony up what the Pats would want in trade.
This is a risky move however. If Branch does find a suitor, and they lowball the trade offer, he will try to hold the Pats hostage. (although he has few cards to play, we can just let him sit, the year gets wiped out, or if he reports on his current deal he will still hold the franchise option)
Secondly, having a firm offer could outprice the Pats if someone does give him crazy $.
Thirdly, this will probably reduce the chances of Branch resigning here before going into FA assuming no deal can get done, and he plays out his contract (unless we tag him).

AJ, I'm sure that before they gave permission, the Patriots told Branch's agent what is acceptable compensation.

I'm also sure that there's an agreement that if Branch does not find a viable suitor by 9/1, the holdout is over.

I couldn't even concieve of the Patriots agreeing to this without setting those terms in place.

Isaac said:
The more I think about this, the more I assume that the trade parameters had to have been specified to Branch up-front to prevent this from happening---e.g. 1st round pick or a player with a certain set of credentials. It's even possible that a fairly detailed set of parameters were laid out---that'd be an interesting memo to read.

I would agree.

TNPatsFan said:
Apparently Dallas has been looking hard for receivers.

The Minnesota Vikings probably lost wide receiver Koren Robinson for the season.

Isaac said:
Wow.

Well, if nothing else it may help define Branch's value, sort of like how the Patriots like players to seek out a deal in free agency and then they try to match it. Maybe if no one is offering much more than the Patriots are, Branch will cave.

BINGO!

GRRR!!!

ARTHUR: I am. And this my trusty servant Patsy. We have
ridden the length and breadth of the land in search of knights
who will join me in my court of Camelot. I must speak with your
lord and master.
GUARD #1: What, ridden on a horse?
ARTHUR: Yes!
GUARD #1: You're using coconuts!
ARTHUR: What?
GUARD #1: You've got two empty halves of coconut and you're
bangin' 'em together.
ARTHUR: So? We have ridden since the snows of winter covered
this land, through the kingdom of Mercea, through--
GUARD #1: Where'd you get the coconut?
ARTHUR: We found them.
GUARD #1: Found them? In Mercea? The coconut's tropical!
ARTHUR: What do you mean?
GUARD #1: Well, this is a temperate zone.
ARTHUR: The swallow may fly south with the sun or the house
martin or the plumber may seek warmer climes in winter yet these
are not strangers to our land.
GUARD #1: Are you suggesting coconuts are migratory?
ARTHUR: Not at all, they could be carried.
GUARD #1: What -- a swallow carrying a coconut?
ARTHUR: It could grip it by the husk!
GUARD #1: It's not a question of where he grips it! It's a
simple question of weight ratios! A five ounce bird could not
carry a 1 pound coconut.
ARTHUR: Well, it doesn't matter. Will you go and tell your
master that Arthur from the Court of Camelot is here.
GUARD #1: Listen, in order to maintain air-speed velocity, a
swallow needs to beat its wings 43 times every second, right?
ARTHUR: Please!
GUARD #1: Am I right?
ARTHUR: I'm not interested!
GUARD #2: It could be carried by an African swallow!
GUARD #1: Oh, yeah, an African swallow maybe, but not a European
swallow, that's my point.
GUARD #2: Oh, yeah, I agree with that...
ARTHUR: Will you ask your master if he wants to join my court
at Camelot?!
GUARD #1: But then of course African swallows are not migratory.
GUARD #2: Oh, yeah...
GUARD #1: So they couldn't bring a coconut back anyway...
[clop clop]
GUARD #2: Wait a minute -- supposing two swallows carried it
together?
GUARD #1: No, they'd have to have it on a line.
GUARD #2: Well, simple! They'd just use a standard creeper!
GUARD #1: What, held under the dorsal guiding feathers?
GUARD #2: Well, why not?

added to make 10 letters

Someone will offer deion a good contract, no matter what you guys think. if Randall El gets $30 mill what do you think they will offer Branch.

PATSNUTme said:
AJ, I'm sure that before they gave permission, the Patriots told Branch's agent what is acceptable compensation.

I'm also sure that there's an agreement that if Branch does not find a viable suitor by 9/1, the holdout is over.

I couldn't even concieve of the Patriots agreeing to this without setting those terms in place.

I agree. Also this could explain Branch's comments that its all going to work out. One way or another there will be resolution.

PATSNUTme said:

The second one simply has to be a condition or this is just a dumb move and the Pats don't make dumb moves.

AndyJohnson said:

Branch has already been riding the easy train out of town, so I can't see how it will ever be worse than it already has been. The Patriots offers have not changed and WILL NOT change. They have already defined his value and that much is very clear. I can't see how an inflated offer with bad compensation would do anything but keep the track on it's current course. So this move can only benefit the situation, as the 'worse' is the track it was already on. IMO.

Brilliant negotiating move. I love it. I'd kill to see a shot of Chayut right now, sweating bullets in his office, screaming at assistants to get so-and-so on the phone. Hahaha. Talk about in over your head. Friggin' amateur.

OK, so what happens if we get to Sept. 1 and there is no trade arranged? What then? Branch can still continue his holdout and nothing will have been solved. There apparently is more to this that we haven't been told.

Last edited:
SaCaCh said:
BINGO!

GRRR!!!

ARTHUR: I am. And this my trusty servant Patsy. We have
ridden the length and breadth of the land in search of knights
who will join me in my court of Camelot. I must speak with your
lord and master.

Classic Monty Python!

The Vikings could be interested in the player…

AndyJohnson said:
IA shrewd team could offer him a ridiculous contract, then fail to give the trade bait, in order for him to think he can get more on the open market and refuse to resign here. If Mangini learned from the master, he will offer Branch everything he asked for, then offer the Pats a 4th for the trade, meaning there will be no trade, and Branchs future here is over.

I disagree. That team wouldn't be shrewd at all. If that happened, Branch would go back to the Jets and say, "ok, pay me what you offered before". If it is a ridiculous offer, the Jets will say 'no way' and it won't get done. The Jets, or any team, would be guaranteeing that they would have to overpay to get him when he goes become a FA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft