PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats give Branch permission to seek Trade

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't give something without getting something in return. Not if you are a good business man and the Pats are great business men.

So the Pats gave Branch this, what did he give them in return?

The only thing that makes sense is he agreed that is he can't make a deal by 9/1 then he agreed he ends his holdout and comes in.

Last edited:
The Sept 1st date is interesting, 1 day before the sept 2 cut down...

Pat the Pats Fan said:
This is Economics 101, letting the market set the price...and we all know majored in Economics in college...

I believe Mr. Branch's bubble is about to get burst.
I tend to agree with you.

Trade Deion Branch to the Minnesota Vikings for a second round draft pick and then put the screws to him:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2559815

''Depending on how Broncos officials resolve various fines and potential penalties pending against Lelie as a result of his decision to boycott the team's offseason activities -- and his failure to report to training camp despite having a contract -- the four-year veteran could go into the red for 2006."

Don't be surprised if BB gets a below average offer for Deon

and ends up waiving him instead.

Brownfan80 said:
per Reiss:

"Pats statement

The Patriots released the following statement today:

“The New England Patriots have given Deion Branch permission to seek a trade and negotiate a contract with other clubs. This permission will extend until September 1, 2006.â€"

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

Hasta la vista, Deion. I guess you ain't the boss afterall. Have a good life.

Last edited by a moderator:
F0nSY said:
If the player is going to be displeased in this team the best thing he is than he is fence.

couldn't have said it any better myself.

Assuming the Pats really would let him go to another team. What trade would be sufficient?

Jerry Porter and...?

or

A bottom feeders' (Houston, Detroit, Green Bay, San Francisco) number 1 pick?

Last edited:
Or some secret under the table deal has already been done which allows Branch to get his money and gives the Pats adequate compensation.
I assume this is highly illegal, but it's possible.

Jacky Roberts said:
Hasta la vista, Deion. I guess you ain't the boss afterall. Have a good life.

You do not say that that I put myself bad.Y bien dicho Hasta La vista!

Let the chips fall where they may.
Better to be done with all this crap before it becomes any more of a distraction. I've had about enough.
The season's about to begin, either you're on the bus, or you're not.

Jimke said:

Me, I would be surprised as that would be a totally stupid and unnesessary move uncharacteristic of Belichick.

Last edited:
I really don't know if any team is willing to pay that kind of money for Branch at this time of the year.

However, lets' not assume that there isn't. Even a team that doesn't appear to have cap space can release another player if they want him bad enough.

We have been fooled by teams overpaying for Willie, Givens, and the kicker who is dead to me. That was during free agency when teams had cap space. But, let's not assume that a team won't make space if they want him.

If we can't get a player or a #1, then a #2 &#3 could be in the cards.

Either way this works out, it's a good move by the Patriots. If no trade is made, then he'll be in practice with 10 days before the season starts.

dhamz said:
You don't give something without getting something in return. Not if you are a good business man and the Pats are great business men.

So the Pats gave Branch this, what did he give them in return?

The only thing that makes sense is he agreed that is he can't make a deal by 9/1 then he agreed he ends his holdout and comes in.

Wishful thinking, but it does make sense and it would be great for both sides. I imagine that if such a deal were in place the trade parameters would also have to be specified up front, e.g. a 1st rounder, such that the Patriots couldn't just refuse any offer thereby forcing Branch into camp.

Question:

Is there a team out there that is so desparate for a WR this year that they
would pay Branch a huge contract AND give up significant pick(s)?

I think this is a very smart move. I think Deion is going to be VERY surpirsed at the lack of offers he will receive. I find it very hard to believe that he will attract a top $ contract, and that team will also pony up what the Pats would want in trade.
This is a risky move however. If Branch does find a suitor, and they lowball the trade offer, he will try to hold the Pats hostage. (although he has few cards to play, we can just let him sit, the year gets wiped out, or if he reports on his current deal he will still hold the franchise option)
Secondly, having a firm offer could outprice the Pats if someone does give him crazy $.
Thirdly, this will probably reduce the chances of Branch resigning here before going into FA assuming no deal can get done, and he plays out his contract (unless we tag him).
A shrewd team could offer him a ridiculous contract, then fail to give the trade bait, in order for him to think he can get more on the open market and refuse to resign here. If Mangini learned from the master, he will offer Branch everything he asked for, then offer the Pats a 4th for the trade, meaning there will be no trade, and Branchs future here is over.
For 2006, this move is a good one, for beyond, its very risky.

JR4 said:
Question:

Is there a team out there that is so desparate for a WR this year that they
would pay Branch a huge contract AND give up significant pick(s)?

Apparently Dallas has been looking hard for receivers.

Terrific move by the Pats - once again the demonstrate their superiority in all phases of football.

This may or may not work out well for us - but at the least, the distraction will be eliminated.

I would love to see Jerry Porter and more...who knows. I would love to see a number one.

I just hope we do not come out looking bad - I don't see how we could though.

Couple of things:

1) The Patriots will want a 1st without a doubt.
2) It will be very interesting to see what teams are interested in Branch, and if he can come to terms with any of them. Let the market set the price.
3) There could be a deal going on here that if Branch doesn't get any interest, then he reports for week one for the Pats.
4) If I were the Raiders, I would try to trade Porter for Branch straight-up (they have their issues with him). I doubt BB would do that though ... doesn't Porter have attitude problems with the new coach for being a disciplinarian???

Last edited:
Isaac said:
Wishful thinking, but it does make sense and it would be great for both sides. I imagine that if such a deal were in place the trade parameters would also have to be specified up front, e.g. a 1st rounder, such that the Patriots couldn't just refuse any offer thereby forcing Branch into camp.

If that isn't what is taking place, this is giving into his holdout in a pretty big way.

Jimke said:

Never happen, Branch is only scheduled to make 1.5 million this year, he is underpaid, no way they release him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back