PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats extend Cannon 2 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
After the year that he is having, definitely surprised at this signing, especially with Flemming on our roster. I know he played pretty good at right tackle last year when Vollmer went down, but can anyone on here picture a tackle tandom of Solder and Cannon next year..yikes.....let's all hope that Vollmer stays healthy.
Hope it's a pretty cheap signing!!!

Edit: Just read it was 2 years 9 million, that's a little more than I thought he would get. Hope his play going forward reflects that money.

Why do people think Fleming is Cannon's replacement? I get the impression that Belichick envisions Fleming in the starting OL next season at one of the Guard spots.

Favorable evidence of that:
  • BB trying Fleming at guard.
  • BB saying that Fleming is one of the team's best blockers.
  • This Cannon signing.

Unfavorable evidence against that:
  • Fleming's brief time at guard.
I guess the favorable evidence is stronger.

I'm hearing Nate Solder has been extended as well 2 years, $200 with a possibly Turkey sandwitch if he gives up less than 100 hits on Brady per season.

I think this shows the team values him as solid tackle depth, with true RT upside. He has played pretty well when replacing Vollmer, who has had back and concussion issues in the past. I suspect we draft a tackle early this year, probably a third round developmental type as solder insurance.

The Patriots didn’t want Marcus Cannon hitting free agency.

According to ESPN’s Adam Schefter, the fourth-year lineman out of Texas Christian and the Patriots have come to an agreement on a two-year, $9 million contract extension. He was due to become an unrestricted free agent at the end of this season after signing his four-year, $2.338 million rookie contract with New England in July 2011.

http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports...nnon-receives-2-year-extension-from-patriots/

That's good money for a rotational tackle.

perhaps rotational is not in his future, as far as they are concerned.

I suspect we draft a tackle early this year, probably a third round developmental type as solder insurance.

This signing seems to indicate otherwise, unless you think NE views Fleming as a guard.

4.5 million a year for a backup?!

Anyone think 2015 may be Vollmer LT, Cannon RT, and Solder adios?

Well, we already know that Solder is going to be here for the 2015 season since they picked up his 5th yr option, but I assume that you're questioning things beyond that point.

This signing seems to indicate otherwise, unless you think NE views Fleming as a guard.
I think they try him there eventually. The way they drafted and tried Cannon at guard makes me think Guges and BB are looking for some more beef up front. Time will tell. The money seems steep, but we don't know what is or isn't guaranteed.

I think they try him there eventually. The way they drafted and tried Cannon at guard makes me think Guges and BB are looking for some more beef up front. Time will tell. The money seems steep, but we don't know what is or isn't guaranteed.

Even just the $3.2mm signing bonus is a clear indication that Cannon is part of NE's plans at least for 2015. Even more so due to the timing of this. If NE just wanted Cannon around as protection against other guys not developing, he would have just been brought back in the offseason.

At this point, it looks more like the Patriots will be targeting guards if they want more beef, rather than conversions.

Two years, $9mm.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story...year-contract-extension?ex_cid=espnapi_public

Color me even more confused. Hopefully it isn't Nick Kaczur part deux.
vEpwUzD.gif

Even just the $3.2mm signing bonus is a clear indication that Cannon is part of NE's plans at least for 2015. Even more so due to the timing of this. If NE just wanted Cannon around as protection against other guys not developing, he would have just been brought back in the offseason.

At this point, it looks more like the Patriots will be targeting guards if they want more beef, rather than conversions.
Are either solder or vollmer up this year? It's strange to say the least, but he plays somewhere.

Surprised.

I think Cannon can be a good starting guard in the NFL. I would like to see the Patriots experiment with him at right guard. I think with Solder, Fleming, Vollmer, Stork, and Cannon..we could yield a very promising O line in the future.

Are either solder or vollmer up this year? It's strange to say the least, but he plays somewhere.

Solder's 2015 option was picked up so he's not a FA until 2016. I don't know Vollmer's contract, but I think he might also be a FA that year.

Maybe vollmer is trade bait/cap casualty?

Solder is. He has a 5th year option, but he hasn't played up to it. Having Cannon under contract means the team has some options, and won't be negotiating under duress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST