PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats extend Cannon 2 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope Patriots gave him a backup contract,that would be a good deal, even if Fleming pass him in the depth chart the next year you can trade him.

Or still have him on a very cheap pact as a backup/depth option, which is usually a good thing. Of course he'll have to work some of this year's kinks out, but apparently the team feels that is a distinct possibility.

Need a backup tackle ... better than finding one on the scrap heap somewhere.

Why do people think Fleming is Cannon's replacement? I get the impression that Belichick envisions Fleming in the starting OL next season at one of the Guard spots.

Considering the fact that Cannon has underperformed and was due to be a free agent + Fleming looked quite good at RT/extended line TE, I think it was kind of a no-brainer to have assumed that he would probably take over that role as a rotational RT or 6th OL.

It's much more of a reach to take a position that he's never played and project him there, isn't it?

I like the move he is a starting caliber RT who could be capable of playing OG if they work him there all offseason. His LG experiment was rushed and he had no reps there prior to starting.

I don't see the "decent money" projection that you may. I think his market would have been rather limited. One would assume that the new extension will be on the cheap for sure.

I'm surprised. I felt as though Fleming would taken over his role and that Cannon would have been gone in FA.

IMO, 2013 Cannon that replaced Vollmer was a solid starting RT.

Decent $ as in how Donald Thomas got decent money from the Colts a year or two ago. There are a lot of bad tackles in this league.

4.5 million a year for a backup?!

Anyone think 2015 may be Vollmer LT, Cannon RT, and Solder adios?

This signifies that Cannon will remain the backup/swing tackle/guard for the next couple of seasons.

Like other posters have mentioned already, he had a very promising 2013 season, so even though he has underwhelmed hitherto in 2014, the team feels it is worth the investment. Color me cautiously optimistic.

WTF is the only thing that comes to mind...this year of all years!!?? Especially at a $4.5 mil/yr average.

Ben Volin ✔ @BenVolin
I'm told Cannon's deal is actually worth a maximum of $9 million over two years, with a $3.2 million signing bonus. Nice get for him

how much guaranteed? Meaningless without that figure.

Less so on a two year deal. The odds are that it isn't a minimum deal with an $8mm tack on second year, and the fact that they did it now indicates they have him in their 2015 plans at the very least.

The bigger question is how much is incentives.

I agree. 2013 Cannon was looking good, and I had high hopes. This year's version is reminiscent of 2013 Wendell. Time will tell.
Kinda like 2012 Ryan Wendell..

cannon.jpg

I'm selling this for 9 million. o_O

People freaking out about it being worth a max of $9m lol. I'll wait until the official contract breakdown comes out. Max is $9m but that could include incentives that he may never realistically meet. Like play 90% of the snaps, start 16 games, be selected to the Pro Bowl. Stuff like that. For all we know guaranteed it may be $2m a season

People freaking out about it being worth a max of $9m lol. I'll wait until the official contract breakdown comes out. Max is $9m but that could include incentives that he may never realistically meet. Like play 90% of the snaps, start 16 games. Stuff like that. For all we know guaranteed it may be $2m a season

Agreed, I should have said as much when I posted the value.

That said, even the $3mm signing bonus is more than I expected. I thought that would be more like the total value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST