PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats Defense Problems, LBs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of the run defense problems I saw were due to the line, and also at the end of the game the Pat's were using only 2 DL. When the Steelers run against 2 DL they are going to looking very good, but they also used up the clock instead of trying to score. I would like to see the Pat's activate Santonio Thomas who is fresh and probably a better run defender than Green is at this point in this season.

There was one major breakdown where it appeared Wilfork was tackled and Ben ran for a big gain up the middle. I also saw Sanders at OLB for a few plays, apparently due to a lack of LB backups, so the Steelers ran at him for a huge gain.

Last edited:
Most of the run defense problems I saw were due to the line, and also at the end of the game the Pat's were using only 2 DL. When the Steelers run against 2 DL they are going to looking very good, but they also used up the clock instead of trying to score. I would like to see the Pat's activate Santonio Thomas who is fresh and probably a better run defender than Green is at this point in this season.

There was one major breakdown where it appeared Wilfork was tackled and Ben ran for a big gain up the middle. I also saw Sanders at OLB for a few plays, apparently due to a lack of LB backups, so the Steelers ran at him for a huge gain.

The Steelers are going to run the ball, that's what they do. I thought the whole D looked good yesterday.

On a team that's loaded, though, no depth at LB is a concern and should be discussed rather than getting a GFY, that's all I'm saying.

The media has been claiming the Pats weakness is the defense and their LBS

-Speed

Yet looking at the stats of their four starters, they all look like they are having solid season.
Yet looking at the Eagles game, Feely could not be stopped finding the middle of the field, the Ravens pounded it and the Steelers moved it, is there an explanation?

I think they give up yards because they play the line soft in a lot of nickel and dime, which tends to give up strings of smaller plays instead of getting burned by big plays --- they want to keep the plays in front of them.

if you notice, they were getting run on the first 3 quarters of the balt game, but how well did balt move the ball in the 4th when the game was on the line?

how many pts did indy score in the second half?
how about dallas?
those are probably the second and third best offenses in the league.

I'm not too worried about it.

edit - and btw, the young and upcoming green bay defense is pretty highly regarded.
how about comparing defensive stats and team schedules and let us know how the old and slow pats d stacks up.

Last edited:
I'm curious, why is it the Pats have had their LBs much maligned of late?
I understand they have age, which can mean either they are very good and have made it around, have a lot of knowledge, or can be slow.

I wanted to know, in your view

1) Is the crticizm of the Pats defense, their LBs, warranted?

2) What exactly is weakness of the entire Pats defense and LBs?

3) I myself am confused.
-I see a LB crew with Vrbal, Seau, Bruschi, Thomas.
-All four of these LBs can rush the quarterback, can get an int, tackle, and know how to play football.
-They are not silent, quiet but impact playmakers who have proven they know the skill.

-It looks very hard for to sit here and say this defense is weak and is weak due to the LB.
-Is this the assesment the media or you Pats fan have?
-Why are the LBs taking the blame, what is their weakness and if not them, then what for the defnese?

Why was PHI completing all those mid zone passes and BAL/PIT running so well?
Are the LBs simply good, but slow, making them weak at coveraging and slow to the ball, more each game, needing rest?

The question is not whether these guys can play great. They're all great players, at least one of them are hall of famers (bruschi should be, too). The question is whether they can play a full game, and even more importantly if they can play the rest of the season without getting injured. IMO, they're a great linebacking core, but once one of them gets injured we have a legitimate weakness for opponents to attack (which, really, isn't that big of a deal...all teams have a weakness). If one of them gets injured, we'll have something to overcome. Moreover, they are an aging linebacker core right now so endurance has to be an issue during games. None of this you all intelligent fans don't know about, but I had to answer your question.

GO F**K YOURSELF!:D

This is why this board is dying a slow death, morons like you! Congratulations! You've succeeded in ruining my experience here today...

To answer the post, I agree, there is something seriously wrong with our defense. You can look at the record and scores of the games and say whatever the heck you want about the Pats success.

The fact is that the Steelers went down the field effortlessly on four drives, two of which resulted in 6 points and the other two were turned over on downs.

The previous two weeks, AJ Feely and Boller look like Pro Bowlers... It's a legit question!

Now i will turn it over to PatriotsReign insults and like so many others, will be gone forever!

Well done moron!!!

YOU may be dying a slow death, but this board is just fine deeds. Although the question may have bee legit, it was posed by a troll who was just posting a negative thread RIGHT AFTER ONE OF OUR BEST GAMES OF THE YEAR.

Maybe you were too slow to see this Deeds, but many of us weren't. Jhoffa had posted several "Nagative Trolling" threads consecutively and this was just one of them.

You have the right to get suckered into answering them if you choose. After all, it's a free country. But you just played right into Hoffa's hands and I'm sure he was loving it. If you took the time to read jhoffa's post history, you'd see he's made only 10 posts in total and 5 of them were threads he started. No rookie comes onto an opposing team's board and immediately posts 5 threads. That's just not how it works. If you or I joined an Indy board today, we wouldn't just start posting threads of our own. The protocol is you comment on existing threads, make yourself know and maybe after 25-50 posts, it's ok to start your own thread. jhoffa is an imposter.

May I suggest you try to be more aware and realistic and realize not all threads are legit. Some are posted just to mock our fanbase....

JUST LIKE THIS ONE WAS!​

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes