PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats cut 14 incl. Bryant and Gutierrez; 2 (Ruud, K. Smith to IR); Ross to R/NFI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just think how great Special Teams will be with....

Slater, Aiken, Izzo, Kelley Washington, Eric Alexander, Gary Guyton, CJ Jones, Bo Ruud, etc

Re: Patriots make cuts

Gut..... why? not Cassel?

Let's set some of this aside for Big Willie Anderson.

Totally agree, forget corner, we can get by there but we've got to keep Brady upright and the right side of the OL still looks worse to me than corner. Im hoping the FO is already on the phone to Willie's agent

Just think how great Special Teams will be with....

Slater, Aiken, Izzo, Kelley Washington, Eric Alexander, Gary Guyton, CJ Jones, Bo Ruud, etc

Isn't he on IR????

Isn't he on IR????

Yes I think he is, must say the back-up QB situation worries me enormously.
If TB doesn't stay upright we might not even make the play-offs.
I liked the look of Gutz,Cassel leaves me cold.

Hope would be the more accurate word... same with Hobson

So Cassell IS the veteran pick to be the backup. Of course we'll have to see whether there's anyone with interest.

I'll say this for Cassell - perhaps in addition to QB he might provide depth at another position.

His one and only start in a football game since high school came at Tight End - where he actually had a reception. Seems we're a little thin there - maybe he can step in!

This is by far the most puzzling pick.......I can only guess that we will be signing some kind of "real" Vet QB to back up Brady.....with Cassel being 3rd ....and Okee going to PS.....Really, what could BB have seen from Cassel that gives him even a sliver of confidence in him.......?

glad ventrone made it, and slater.

i liked Lewis sanders and cj jnoes, but am a bit surprised they made it.
I agree Tom....glad that Ventrone made it....I think he showed alot this preseason......

This is by far the most puzzling pick.......I can only guess that we will be signing some kind of "real" Vet QB to back up Brady.....with Cassel being 3rd ....and Okee going to PS.....Really, what could BB have seen from Cassel that gives him even a sliver of confidence in him.......?

Obviously a lot more than you did, and while that does not surprise me it obviously stuns you...:rolleyes:

O'Connell as a 3rd rounder in a QB starved league would not make it to the PS. There is no "real" vet QB available who could run this system cold. Belichick considers players veterans after 8 years in the league and at least a modicam of success a some point during that time frame. About the only one who fits that profile is Culpepper, but he bombs out on all the other criteria Bill insists on in any QB on the roster here.

If he makes it through waivers they will likely sign Gutierrez to the PS based on him being familiar with the system and his reputation as an effort guy. Don't hold your breath for that veteran QB signing - or better yet, go ahead...

I'm sure they are going to try and get Gutz on the PS, and I hope they do. He was inconsistent but seemed to be able to move the team at times, unlike Cassel who just looked lost and incompetent out there. I'm sure there's a vet QB they must be looking at; I know that Cassel has been the backup, but I can't see how they are still comfortable with this guy in that role-especially since TB is a bit nicked up and the OL is not 100% with Neal out for a while, Hochstein banged up and Light just coming back.

As far as the OL cuts go; I can only guess that Flynn and Welbourn must not have anything left. Kazsur has never looked good to me, so I'm interested to see what happens there-especially on the right side.

I was surprised to see Bryant cut-not because he was that good, but because of the thinness in the CB spot. The only thing I can take away from this is that Wheately showed enough to start.

I was glad to see Ventrone make it, although he may not be around long due to the fluidity of the roster just after cuts. He is a guy who seems to make things happen out there and could play defense as a last resort.

I'm also glad Guyton made the team; his speed will be an asset especially on ST. I wish Redd had made the team-although raw, he showed some potential. I hope he makes it onto the PS.

Ageed, So was DE Jerome McDougal who has looked great, would not mind him, TEs Pociak, Chris Wilson. OT Todd Wade and Willie Anderson.
How about a trade for available OT Max Starks and CB Lito Sheppard? These could be long term value.
DW Toys

Not McDougal from Philly right? If that guy I'm thinking of that sacked Cassel 3 times is out there.....he should be a Patriot.....Can still see him rushing from left side of defensive line....not sure if I have the right guy

apart from the gutierrez cut i'm pretty happy with it, especially Braynt, the guy was just a crap shoot and i'm happy he's off the team,

Agree with you......I thought Gutz showed some good poise and decision making this preseason....well up until the Gints game anyways.....Cassel on the other hand showed me and others here nothing .....but obviously he showed BB ALOT....and BB knows best......Go Pats!

Last edited:
Not McDougal from Philly right? If that guy I'm thinking of that sacked Cassel 3 times is out there.....he should be a Patriot.....Can still see him rushing from left side of defensive line....not sure if I have the right guy

McDougle doesn't fit the Patriots scheme. He's a 1 Gap 4-3 DE whose never played the 2-gap system. McDougle is much more likely to end up in Tampa Bay.

My guess is the guy they have in mind is Wheatley, I don't think they trust anyone to come into this newer system (Capers has to be here for a reason, and Law didn't play under him) fresh and start, so my guess is Wheatley starts with Hobbs, but there is a little part of me, seeing just a few plays, that whispers that during this year, Wilhite might pass Wheatley (both as he gets healthier and learns the system better). It might be next year not this year, but I have a sneaking suspicion that Wilhite is actually going to make us happier than Wheatley in the long run. And I think we're going to like Wheatley, I'm not knocking him at all.

No offense, but Wheatley (who has shown alot of promise but as you say is still raw and learning the system) and Hobbs as starting CB's is going to have opposing QB's salivating.....I see a few VET CB's getting brought into foxboro pretty quickly.....Starting most likely with Ty Law.....Not sure how much gas he has left in the tank....we will see.....

Thanks, sometimes it seems I am the only one who sees great things out of Hobbs.

What got me so high on Hobbs was the way he played 2 years ago with the cast on. He improved on a good rookie year while playing with the cast and really used his hands well using the cast as a weapon and breaking up a bunch of plays with it.

Than last year he gutted it out on a bad groin and IMO played really good except that last play which no one seems to be able to shake and it blinds them.

you are right that he is a tough, tough kid and will play hurt......he is a scrappy guy.....I just don' think of this guy as a #1 CB.....and in fact should only be in there in certain packages/schemes.....but please....don't put him in man on man coverages again this year coach!!!!

Year in and year out you slam the Pats coaching staff claiming it sucks and that the team is horrible. Year in and year out, you are proven wrong. Weren't you one of the ones who was slamming the Pats draft?

This isn't the 1st time they've gone with 8 O-linemen. They started off 2005 with only 8 and it wasn't until late in the season when they signed Ross Tucker that they had a 9th. They also spent a good portion of 2006 with only 8 on the roster with Mruczkowski going on and off the roster.

The Pats back-up QB is Cassel, who is no worse than Rohan Davey was.

The back-up LBers clearly proved to BB that they were better than a veteran in Hobson. And, as others have said, Seau's locker is set-up so there is a good chance he'll be back. And that improves the LB depth even more.

Why MUST Meriweather be slotted to play in Nickel situations? What's to say that its not Lynch, J. Sanders, or L. Sanders?

Thank you for posting the list of cut and potential matches in the other thread, that was useful and I appreciate it.

Why would you feel good about Harrington? I wouldn't. And I am pretty sure that Colvin was cut by the Texans because he's wasn't capable of playing up to the level he has played before.

I'd love to see the Pats bring in all three. They could do it also. And still have money left to give Wilfork an extension, though one doesn't need to be done before the spring.

The Pats back-up QB is Cassel, who is no worse than Rohan Davey was."

No you are right....they are equally bad.......Luckily, and thank the lord.....Davey never had to come into a game because of a Brady injury.....and we all better pray, that if Cassel is still the backup come opening game......that nothing ever happens to Brady this year!!

you are right that he is a tough, tough kid and will play hurt......he is a scrappy guy.....I just don' think of this guy as a #1 CB.....and in fact should only be in there in certain packages/schemes.....but please....don't put him in man on man coverages again this year coach!!!!

Why is that? Because with a serious groin injury, he was still willing to go out there and go up against the best WRs the other team had to offer?

People still amaze me how they just outright IGNORE pertinent facts of a situation.

LOL Gutierrez played one less game and faced second and third stringers and was sacked twice as often as Cassel. Maybe we should look for some of Tampa's cuts...even though they can't play in this system either...

Your grasp of the game is mindboggling. Hobbs is better in man than zone. Only that wasn't Asante's strong suit so we played mostly zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back